Question 9900K upgrade to 5800X

Rayman30

Mar 7, 2019
Currently I have a 9900K with a RTX 3080, I have been chomping at the bit to upgrade to Ryzen 5000 but the CPU I want (5900x) is out of stock. Recently I seen the 5800x is in stock, and wanted to know if you guys think its worth the upgrade. I am mainly gaming on a 3440x1440 Ultrawide and an 4K OLED TV.

I already have a board I can use, so this would be buying the CPU only.

Thanks!

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I don't think it's worth going from an i9-9900k to a 5800x. It's a slight upgrade but nothing you would notice, especially at 4k, where the GPU become the bottleneck in most games. A 5900x would make sense though if you actually would make use of more than 8 cores in my opinion, but you mentioned that you are mainly gaming, so no even that won't be worth upgrading to in my opinion.

Rayman30

Mar 7, 2019
Thanks guys!

I run an eVGA RTX 3080 FTW3, I have a X570 board I can use already, I do not do work on this PC as its my gaming and leisure build. In my living room is a 3900X and X570 board, thought I would move the 9900K out there and sell off the 3900X making this a cheap upgrade, I just use the living room PC as a plex server.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
Just finished installing my 5800x+x570 after procrastinating for a bit. Everything still at stock including the crucial ram at 2133 (will likely do atleast 3000 with some volts) but the system does feel a quite a bit snappier just in desktop use. Coming from a X99+5960X which will be in the FS section soon :)

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I always feel like cpu benchmarks for gaming are a little misleading. They are always done on really clean systems for obvious reasons. However real users have a bunch of crap installed. I regularly have back ground apps grab 10-15% of my 8700k to do god knows what. This can cause stuttering, etc in games. Its the main reason I'm looking to upgrade. Games are using more cores and its nice to have a spare core or two to run background processes without affecting your gaming too much.

Also with the new consoles having much more powerful CPUs I bet we are in for much more cpu heavy title coming out in the next couple years. You probably don't need it yet, but in another year or two it might be another story.

FWIW I have a DQHD monitor and for FPS I'm inclined to turn down settings to make sure I sit on the max refresh rate. That or reduce it to wqhd or even qhd. So knowing your CPU can make 144hz (or whatever your refresh happens to be) is useful. Its not really as simple as you always play at ultra on high resolution display so CPU doesn't matter.

Reactions: Tlh97 and moinmoin

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I always feel like cpu benchmarks for gaming are a little misleading. They are always done on really clean systems for obvious reasons. However real users have a bunch of crap installed. I regularly have back ground apps grab 10-15% of my 8700k to do god knows what. This can cause stuttering, etc in games. Its the main reason I'm looking to upgrade. Games are using more cores and its nice to have a spare core or two to run background processes without affecting your gaming too much.

Also with the new consoles having much more powerful CPUs I bet we are in for much more cpu heavy title coming out in the next couple years. You probably don't need it yet, but in another year or two it might be another story.

FWIW I have a DQHD monitor and for FPS I'm inclined to turn down settings to make sure I sit on the max refresh rate. That or reduce it to wqhd or even qhd. So knowing your CPU can make 144hz (or whatever your refresh happens to be) is useful. Its not really as simple as you always play at ultra on high resolution display so CPU doesn't matter.
Maybe you need to clean out your system or do a re-install of Windows. I have an 8700K as well, and background usage is never more than 5%, usually 1 to 2%. And that is with an anti-virus running. Honestly I never understood the argument that you need to multitask while gaming (except maybe if streaming, although that can be done on the gpu). If you want to game, just run the cpu intensive programs overnight or something.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Maybe you need to clean out your system or do a re-install of Windows. I have an 8700K as well, and background usage is never more than 5%, usually 1 to 2%. And that is with an anti-virus running. Honestly I never understood the argument that you need to multitask while gaming (except maybe if streaming, although that can be done on the gpu). If you want to game, just run the cpu intensive programs overnight or something.

The most common ones are just things that use a lot of disk IO, google photos sync indexing for example. Point being that my PC should be able to support running things in the background as needed. That can be system tasks or streaming, or whatever. Benchmarks don't capture that. If you maintain a PC strictly for gaming, good for you I guess?