98 honda accord- loss of acceleration

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
Wouldn't the cat make a lot of sense as it the problems occur after things heat up?

Also, all the transmission talk... I don't get it personally. He mentions early on that the RPMs fluctuate down heavily and that it runs as if it has no power. To me, if the transmission were failing, you might see it have trouble grabbing a gear and the RPMs bumping up as it shifts. Maybe I am way off here, but it would really sound like plugs/cat/something engine related. But I am not half the gear head that some of you folks are.

drbrock

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2008
I had this happen to my tl recently. I was able to do the fix myself. The check engine light came on and the car went into "limp" mode. It turned out it was just the throttle wire was not tight and I replaced the whole thing. When I took it to autozone the code showed right up and I bought the part. Very easy.

Def not a tranny issue.

wallywhol

Jul 5, 2015
I have the same issue, right to the high miles and check engine light. I've had the codes scanned and they read bad o2 rear sensor but I think that's a symptom not the issue. Plus clearing it and it stays off until after a few of these 'episodes' pollutes the cat (cause you can smell catalytic rotten egg smell afterwards) and triggers the emissions system to throw a check engine light. My car has 250000 miles and when its acting normal its as smooth as it ever was. The loss of engine power always occurs at cruise after a couple minutes or so and goes away after about a minute or a few seconds of not wanting to go. If you hold constant pedal during one of the episodes you will notice a very regular interval of hesitation. Youll be humming right along between 35-50 mph in town and suddenly it's like you took your foot off the throttle and it will sort of be like.......... VROOM............Vroom............Vroom..........vroom. The vrooms are it recovering but no power in between. Pressing the throttle down past 50% gooses it into life and it accelerates strong but returning to normal cruise position (10-20% throttle) and the issue will still be there until suddenly everything returns to normal and you'd never know there was a problem. I'm leaning towards something electrical since I can smell the rich gassy exhaust when its misbehaving so I don't think its fuel delivery. Anyone care to chime in?

wallywhol

Jul 5, 2015
Hmmm. You think so? It idles perfectly unless you happen to have to come to a stop during one of these episodes, then it idles rough-ish and lower around 500rpm instead of the usual 750. Accelerating hard from this situation will produce strong acceleration but requires 50% or more throttle. then when you get back up to cruise (1700-2000 rpm) it will still be doing it's pulsing or surging or whatever you want to call it. Then in a minute or two it will just seem to shake it off and everythings OK. Can IACV cause this?

tortillasoup

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2011
Hmmm. You think so? It idles perfectly unless you happen to have to come to a stop during one of these episodes, then it idles rough-ish and lower around 500rpm instead of the usual 750. Accelerating hard from this situation will produce strong acceleration but requires 50% or more throttle. then when you get back up to cruise (1700-2000 rpm) it will still be doing it's pulsing or surging or whatever you want to call it. Then in a minute or two it will just seem to shake it off and everythings OK. Can IACV cause this?

IACV are funny. They don't all misbehave in the same way, especially when it's beginning to stick and not completely stuck. If you had a manual transmission car, you'd notice this more.

I don't recommend replacement, just a very thorough cleaning with q-tips and rubbing alcohol. If you can manually actuate the IACV while cleaning, you'll see if there is any binding anywhere like if dirt is lodged in there or something.

For a vehicle of this vintage, I highly recommend this.

sequoiact

Jul 15, 2015
Eric, I have the same situation, did you ever remedy it?

I have an 01 Accord v-6 babied all the way. I have coils and no distributor cap. (checked all and all good) New plugs, cleaned EGR ports, throttle body and all sensors on it are good, but the AC bogs the engine down and I too have the issue with it not going-sputtering-not accelerating when I depress the peddle. It usually happens at low RPMs - Transmission has been rebuilt so it is OK.

Did you find a solution?

My check engine SOMETIMES pops on when this car sputters-acts up, but not always. It sends a code of low voltage-bank1 sensor. Replaces and still occurs.

Solution or suggestion guys?

Tberts

Sep 9, 2017
It seems I am having the same problem with my 98 accord also. I have a V6 coupe with 300,000 + miles. I am the original owner and have done only the necessary maintenance requirements. I did change the recalled ignition switch.

My problem (seems same shreddedwheat) Randomly my car will lose acceleration and the RPMs drop. Usually it occurs on highways too, but I have had it occur on smaller roads and lower speeds. RPMs tend to drop from 2500 to same 1500 then it kicks in and starts to accelerate again. Sometimes I can goose the gas pedal and it come back quicker. I find it does not usually happen when i fist start driving. It usually occurs after I am driving for 30 minutes or so.

I do not lose all power to the car, radio, AC, lights all continue to work fine during this loss of engine power.
Does anyone know what the problem could be? I love my car to death and it has treated me well over the years and i am not ready to take on another car payment yet. ericsinct@aol.com

It seems I am having the same problem with my 98 accord also. I have a V6 coupe with 300,000 + miles. I am the original owner and have done only the necessary maintenance requirements. I did change the recalled ignition switch.

My problem (seems same shreddedwheat) Randomly my car will lose acceleration and the RPMs drop. Usually it occurs on highways too, but I have had it occur on smaller roads and lower speeds. RPMs tend to drop from 2500 to same 1500 then it kicks in and starts to accelerate again. Sometimes I can goose the gas pedal and it come back quicker. I find it does not usually happen when i fist start driving. It usually occurs after I am driving for 30 minutes or so.

I do not lose all power to the car, radio, AC, lights all continue to work fine during this loss of engine power.
Does anyone know what the problem could be? I love my car to death and it has treated me well over the years and i am not ready to take on another car payment yet. ericsinct@aol.com

Hi Eric,

I'm experiencing the same problem. Did you get this issue resolved?

Tberts

Tberts

Sep 9, 2017
Tberts... This thread is a bit old please start a new one...

AT Moderator
Bartman39

Eric, I have the same situation, did you ever remedy it?

I have an 01 Accord v-6 babied all the way. I have coils and no distributor cap. (checked all and all good) New plugs, cleaned EGR ports, throttle body and all sensors on it are good, but the AC bogs the engine down and I too have the issue with it not going-sputtering-not accelerating when I depress the peddle. It usually happens at low RPMs - Transmission has been rebuilt so it is OK.

Did you find a solution?

My check engine SOMETIMES pops on when this car sputters-acts up, but not always. It sends a code of low voltage-bank1 sensor. Replaces and still occurs.

Solution or suggestion guys?

Hi,

Did you ever resolve te issue?

Tberts

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.