Question 9700k BSOD at 1.35v 5.0Ghz Gigabyte Aorus PRO.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Just got a Gigabyte Aorus PRO and I get BSOD when trying to overclock at 1.35v to 5.0Ghz. Any ideas why? its brand new just got it in from Newegg today. XMP is enabled.

yeshua

Aug 7, 2019
BSODs are not limited to your CPU - they might be caused by RAM as well.

Can you confirm your system is 100% stable with stock CPU settings? Have you run memtest86 for at least a couple of hours?

In the end OC is often a lottery. It might be possible your CPU cannot run at 5GHz at this voltage.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
BSODs are not limited to your CPU - they might be caused by RAM as well.

Can you confirm your system is 100% stable with stock CPU settings? Have you run memtest86 for at least a couple of hours?

In the end OC is often a lottery. It might be possible your CPU cannot run at 5GHz at this voltage.
Computer is stable at stock for sure. I haven't ran memtest because the RAM is only 3 weeks old but its something I could do later. Its odd because I am running it at 4.9Ghz at 1.320v and it passed heaven benchmark (Just light testing) and Firestrike. Temperatures are looking good for the cooler I got.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
You wouldn't use Heaven or Firestrike for CPU stability. Per se.

I would get one of the pre-AVX2 builds of Prime95 and run it in SmallFFTs to see what's up. That takes AVX/AVX2 off the table and also eliminates anything but cache from the equation as well.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
You wouldn't use Heaven or Firestrike for CPU stability. Per se.

I would get one of the pre-AVX2 builds of Prime95 and run it in SmallFFTs to see what's up. That takes AVX/AVX2 off the table and also eliminates anything but cache from the equation as well.
I am getting a replacement for the Motherboard turns out I can't even enable XMP without BSOD. Hoping this fixes the XMP and Overclock issue. Will report when I get the new one next week if I remember.