960t max temperature 73c?

grandpatzer

Jan 18, 2011
So I know that the 965be deneb x4 phenom II has 63c as max temperature, infact mine starts to like crashing above 55c.

Someone told me that for a x4 960t thuban the max temperature is 73c, so now I can overclock stable somewhere around up to 65c without crashes?!

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
That doesn't sound right. 63c and CPU shuts off comp to protect it from blowing up, that is too low of a temp. TJ max is not 63c on that. You might be getting wrong readings... 73c doesn't sound correct either. So at 65c it shuts off comp ? What type of crashes,, blue screen or what ?

What HSF are you using to cool the CPU ? What is your CPU voltage ? The crash is happening IMO because your vcore isn't high enough for your OC. Just for heck of it, go to BIOS and put stock settings and look at your temps. Let us know more! gl

grandpatzer

Jan 18, 2011
That doesn't sound right. 63c and CPU shuts off comp to protect it from blowing up, that is too low of a temp. TJ max is not 63c on that. You might be getting wrong readings... 73c doesn't sound correct either. So at 65c it shuts off comp ? What type of crashes,, blue screen or what ?

What HSF are you using to cool the CPU ? What is your CPU voltage ? The crash is happening IMO because your vcore isn't high enough for your OC. Just for heck of it, go to BIOS and put stock settings and look at your temps. Let us know more! gl

I'm sorry I think I wrote unclear, I mean that on my Phenom II 965be it is based Deneb once the temperature is around 58c it starts crashing when OC 3.9ghz and so on.

But now I want to find the max clocks and temperature for my new phenom II 960t it is based Thuban.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I have a 960T with the extra two cores unlocked, currently running Prime 95 and the processor temperature has reached 63C after 10 minutes (the temp very slowly crept up at reaching 60C). No overclocking, stock cooler.

The processor idle temp is about 35C here.

I think you'll find that it is probably crashing due to the overclock rather than a thermal event occurring. Considering that the Athlon XP can go up to 85C before the mobo triggers a thermal event, it seems unlikely that one so many generations on wouldn't handle 'reasonably high' temperatures.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
I'm sorry I think I wrote unclear, I mean that on my Phenom II 965be it is based Deneb once the temperature is around 58c it starts crashing when OC 3.9ghz and so on.

But now I want to find the max clocks and temperature for my new phenom II 960t it is based Thuban.

Its not a temperature issue, Its crashing because your CPU Voltage is too low for that overclock.

Ill say it again, if you want that 3.9Ghz OC your going to need to raise the voltage.. AMD fan boys can help you with that. Im not shure about voltages with AMD. gl

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Actually the C3 Phenom IIs and Thubans get fickle about overclocking when they get close to their thermal limit. It's a totally different animal from Intel in terms of behavior at high temperatures.

Certainly voltage required goes up the closer to 4GHz you get, but if you are hitting within 3-5 degrees of the max rated temperature while running in the high 3GHz than it will most likely be unstable regardless of how much voltage you are pumping into it.

tulx

Jul 12, 2011
Using the 960T with 6 cores,is that considered overclocked?

No. Was that an actual question? An unlocked core is just that - an unlocked core. As long as the fequency is not raised, it is not overclocked.

However - since there is a reason why Zosmas have two cores disabled, unlocking them can cause system instability similar to OC related crashes, if the cores prove to be faulty.

MRGOOCH

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2004
When you don't know the answer to a question then it becomes "an actual question"
Thanks for the answer.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005

Max temp for Phenom II Deneb is indeed 63C, which makes them harder to overclock than Intel CPUs that regularly seem to run in the 60-70C range. You can't just bump the voltage without adding some serious cooling as well, since they become unstable around 60C. Thermal protection probably doesn't kick in until at much higher temps, but you need to keep it below ~60C during normal operation to maintain stability.

When I bought my used Ph-II 955, it didn't come with a cooler, so I figured I would use a crappy old AM2 cooler I had laying around. However it wasn't even stable at stock since it hit 64-65C. Now I'm running a Zalman cooler and get about 58C at full load (53C with open case which is how I run it during the summer months).

Last edited:

tulx

Jul 12, 2011
Tasking. You will get stuff done faster that require more power.

This. Provided that the software you run makes use of the 6 threads. To improve performance for applications which use four threads or less, you'd need to overclock the CPU.