9600GT or 9600GSO?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: natty1
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
It's not about being clueless. Look at it this way. The 8800gt is faster and costs only marginally more. Why not?

There's no reason to even buy the 9600gt knowing this. Especially when you're talking high resolutions.

if you have a budget you can't just keep going up the GPU ladder.... this is a comparison of cards that go for less than $100, whereas 8800GT's on newegg have been hovering around $120

i dont factor in rebates

Go back to the first response in the thread. There is a link to an 8800GT on Newegg that is $110 this weekend and it has FREE shipping. Are you telling me that the extra $15 over the cost of a 9600GT will be a deal breaker for you?

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Azn
http://www.tweaktown.com/revie...s_top_384mb/index.html

This is with AA off. 384mb is just enough to play without AA off @ 1920x1200. It's that you need 512mb or more to have AA turned on at this resolution. Of course that would also depend on the game. With AA on 9600gt will stomp the gso or gs at that resolution because it has more bandwidth and more memory.

People have this misconception that memory bandwidth will win it out. That's not entirely true. Perhaps with AA it would but without it it helps but not as much as some people think. As you lower the resolution 8800gs/gso is clearly the better raw performer. 9600gt will easily out pace with AA though.

I believe we are talkin about 8800GT not GS

Then you really need to pay attention. The thread is 9600gso (rebadged 8800gs) vs 9600gt.

JoPiss

Sep 1, 2008
DISSREGARD THAT. I was thinking 8600gt for some reason http://www.overclockersclub.co...iews/xfx_9600_gt/8.htm
So, in Bioshock the 3850 is better, but in all the others the 9600gt is much better. You can also see the 8800gt is a bitch load faster then the 9600gt, and for just $10 more http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814133232 I'm sure it's well worth it.

I know you're pretty fixed on the whole 9600gt and gso thing, but you have to realize we're just trying to come up with better decisions then what you're looking at so you don't get hosed.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: natty1
It's not about being clueless. Look at it this way. The 8800gt is faster and costs only marginally more. Why not?

There's no reason to even buy the 9600gt knowing this. Especially when you're talking high resolutions.

if you have a budget you can't just keep going up the GPU ladder.... this is a comparison of cards that go for less than $100, whereas 8800GT's on newegg have been hovering around $120

i dont factor in rebates

So perhaps instead of getting bitchy about people making suggestions you don't like, you can simply save your allowance daddy gives you for the next month or so and get a proper card that will let you game at 1920x1200?

If you don't like the "off topic" but very relevant posts, ignore them. With that said, I'm going to say save up for a 4850 or 8800GT if you're really "cheap", which should let you game at 1920x1200 with decent settings.

More to the point, I'm going to say "whichever is cheaper" since money seems to be your thing. You may eventually get to play at 1920x1200 using whichever you buy as a dedicated PhysX card eventually once you get a better video card.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

This is with AA off. 384mb is just enough to play without AA off @ 1920x1200. It's that you need 512mb or more to have AA turned on at this resolution. Of course that would also depend on the game. With AA on 9600gt will stomp the gso or gs at that resolution because it has more bandwidth and more memory.

People have this misconception that memory bandwidth will win it out. That's not entirely true. Perhaps with AA it would but without it it helps but not as much as some people think. As you lower the resolution 8800gs/gso is clearly the better raw performer. 9600gt will easily out pace with AA though.

Then you really need to pay attention. The thread is 9600gso (rebadged 8800gs) vs 9600gt.

No we were all recommending the 8800gt from the start. YOU need to pay attention :roll:

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001

No we were all recommending the 8800gt from the start. YOU need to pay attention :roll:

Why do you even bother replying? :disgust:

I don't give a shit if you recommended or not. The OP wanted to know about 9600gso vs 9600gt. Obviously the thread starter was disgusted by you video whores recommending something more expensive. I stayed in topic while you went off. Mentally challenged FTW!

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
Well,

9600GSO = Lower Resolutions with Higher Settings

9600GT = Higher Resolutions with Lower Settings

Basically the 9600GSO was made with more horsepower to crank the graphics options up, but doesnt have the memory bus to support higher resolutions with those higher settings. The 9600GT was given less horsepower, but has the memory bandwidth to display higher resolutions more efficiently.

Out of those TWO cards, the 9600GT would be overall better at that resolution although it will probably struggle. The 9600GT is put in between a rock and a hard place. It doesnt have the horsepower to have high settings at high resolutions, and at low resolutions the 9600GSO beats it with more shaders.

about 6 mos ago azn, bfg, keys, and a few others had a LONG discussion about sp's. I believe that bfg during that discussion provided convincing evidence that sp's don't start to become a limiting factor until VERY HIGH resolutions.

Considering you need more of everything at higher resolutions. I don't doubt it.

Originally posted by: Andrew1990
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
about 6 mos ago azn, bfg, keys, and a few others had a LONG discussion about sp's. I believe that bfg during that discussion provided convincing evidence that sp's don't start to become a limiting factor until VERY HIGH resolutions.

Well if they proved that, then I guess my argument doesnt have as big of an impact that I thought. I need to learn more about SPs as I am still use to the Pixel Pipelines from the earlier video cards.

I thought it made sense. SP does help even in lower resolutions. It just depends on the game how much effect it has on it. The thing about 8800gs is that it also has more texture fillrate than 9600gt so that's where most of it's performance advantage comes from.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

I don't give a shit if you recommended or not. The OP wanted to know about 9600gso vs 9600gt. Obviously the thread starter was disgusted by you video whores recommending something more expensive. I stayed in topic while you went off. Mentally challenged FTW!

I guess it's ok now for the kiddies to run around these forums bashing people for making recommendations that are better than what's listed in the topic. How do we know he wasn't one of those who see 9600 and think "it's better than the 8800 since the 8800 is older?" We don't. We're trying to help someone out and it's OBVIOUS that $20 more gets a much better card. There's no denying that. So if you want to come around here mouthing off to people to get your post count up, well then I suppose this forum is doomed.

It's not being a video whore to recommend they spend $20 more on a better card, it's about recommending a product that offers a better value. I guess value means nothing when you have your parents buy you everything though eh?

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001

I guess it's ok now for the kiddies to run around these forums bashing people for making recommendations that are better than what's listed in the topic. How do we know he wasn't one of those who see 9600 and think "it's better than the 8800 since the 8800 is older?" We don't. We're trying to help someone out and it's OBVIOUS that $20 more gets a much better card. There's no denying that. So if you want to come around here mouthing off to people to get your post count up, well then I suppose this forum is doomed.

It's not being a video whore to recommend they spend $20 more on a better card, it's about recommending a product that offers a better value. I guess value means nothing when you have your parents buy you everything though eh?

Why does it matter anyway? I recommend better cards too because of value but if he doesn't want it that is up to him. You can't really beat the bang 4 buck on a 8800gs anyway. It's by far the cheapest midrange card and is neck and neck with more expensive 9600gt and even rival 8800gt when overclocked.

I read the thread so in reply to OP I replied. Then you went off how the thread isn't about 8800gs/9600gso but 8800gt. I don't know what your deal is.