9200SE PCI Problem

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006
Hey guys,

I just bought a brand new Gecube Radeon 9200SE PCI graphics card to use as a temporary replacement in another computer while its graphics card is going through an RMA, but I am having no end of problems getting it to work.

When the card arrived, I decided to test it in my main computer as I currently do not have access to the computer that it was intended for, so I took out my X1800XT and booted up the machine with the 9200SE in one of the PCI slots but nothing appeared on the display. I tried the 9200SE in my two other PCI slots with no results, and tried switching the BIOS graphics option from PEG to PCI, again with no results.

Then I put my X1800XT back in, set the BIOS back to PEG, and tried to use the 9200SE alongside it. The X1800XT started up and the stock cooler made its typical 100% spin-up noise (at which point it usually spins back down to about 35% right away), but the fanspeed stayed on 100% and nothing appeared on the display no matter which card I had my monitor plugged into.

Cliffs: -

1.) Tried 9200SE on its own with BIOS set to PCI graphics, no display.

2.) Tried X1800XT (pri) and 9200SE (sec) with BIOS set to PEG graphics, no display and constant 100% fan speed on X1800XT.

Any ideas?

Edit: I should've mentioned that I tried this both with and without any ATI display drivers installed on my machine, but that makes no difference as it won't even POST never mind get around to loading drivers.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
If you're not encountering a BIOS fsckup* there, then it looks a lot like a DOA card.

*which, in the area of using PCI VGA cards on PCIE mainboards, have indeed been observed considerably more often than with AGP mainboards.

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006
I am hoping that it's simply user error than DOA, as it really will be a hassle to RMA and will cost a third of what the item costed in the first place to ship it back. :(

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006
This is frustrating, I don't even have access to my other PC at the moment to test the card. :( No more ideas?

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006
Tried the 9200SE in my other system now that I am back, and it works perfectly. :brokenheart:

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006
Update: Sending PCI 9200SE back for a refund under the Distance Selling Regulations (unforseen incompatibility problem) and getting a PCI-E X300SE for cheaper, only need it for four weeks.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
That's exactly what that regulation is for. Good move!

As a BIOS engineer (not for desktop mainboards), I'd like you to notify your mainboard manufacturer of the problem. Give them a chance to fix it, even if you don't need the fix anymore.