92-year-old veteran shoots intruder

Status
Not open for further replies.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
After having his home broken into this veteran waited and shot one of 3 men that had broken into his home.

VERONA — Earl Jones had just turned off his new TV shortly after 2 a.m. Monday when he heard a bang in the basement.

The 92-year-old Boone County farmer walked eight paces to get his loaded .22 caliber rifle from behind the bedroom door. He unwrapped a beige cloth and returned to the living room, sitting in a chair with clear view – and shot – of the basement door, waiting with the gun across his lap.

Some 15 minutes later, when he heard footsteps moving closer up the stairs, he raised the rifle to his eye. The intruder kicked open the door. Jones fixed his aim on the center of the man’s chest and fired a single shot. The Boone County Sheriff later announced the death of the intruder, Lloyd (Adam) Maxwell, 24, of Richmond, Ky. ..................

The Boone County Sheriff had no information Monday night on whether Jones would be charged, but he appeared clearly to act within Kentucky’s legal definition of justifiable force in the defense of his home and property.

An investigation is ongoing. Police haven’t said if the intruders were armed.

Kentucky, like at least two dozen states, has a “Castle doctrine” enshrined in its laws. That’s the right to defend one’s home with deadly force.

The break-in was the third Jones has experienced on his farm this year. In April, thieves stole 90 head of cattle from the field behind his house. In August, burglars took from his house a television, a few thousands dollars cash and a personal check they unsuccessfully tried to cash and ripped his phone out of the wall.

“I can’t leave the damn house to do my work outside,” said Jones, removing his World War II veteran cap with his right hand and running his left through his thin white hair.

I think it's a damn shame the police took his .22 rifle to hold as evidence, hopefully a neighbor will lend him one till he gets it back.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/A...obber-home?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

In a related story the dead guy says he still plans to vote for Obama in the upcoming election.

Status
Not open for further replies.