92 mph in a 50 zone

pclstyle

Platinum Member
Apr 14, 2004
4am: Amhest, MA - what are the chances of being tagged on a 15 mile stretch in the middle of nowhere.

Not worth trying to appeal, huh =/

Curiously though, I have learned my lesson. I now only do 80 on that road, and have purchased a Valentine One.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: MaxDSP
wouldnt that be considered reckless driving and a trip to the slammer?

Naw, only a few states have mandatory reckless driving offense based off speed. The rest of the states have it left to officer discretion.

pclstyle

Platinum Member
Apr 14, 2004

yeah... he said i could have been arrested, so i guess i did get off easy.

as for "acts of stupidity", the road is easy as hell, there's almost no turn-ins, oncoming traffic is almost null at that hour. the speed was excessive, but when you've done the road a thousand times, you get cocky.

Route 202- the section from route 2 to route 9

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
Back in April I got caught going 85 in a 50 and tried to hide from the cop.. he found me though and, luckily, all i got was a $182 ticket for 35 over :eek:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: pclstyle
4am: Amhest, MA - what are the chances of being tagged on a 15 mile stretch in the middle of nowhere.

Tell the judge you were totally wasted and had no clue how fast you were going.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

They don't take you to the slammer for reckless driving, just give you a ticket for it.

pclstyle

Platinum Member
Apr 14, 2004
Originally posted by: PurdueRy
Was it worth the 9 minutes you save by doing that?

not really. but honestly, when you've done the same particular stretch countless times at 20, 25 mph over the speed limit, trying to maintain a more "legal" speed is downright painful.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
how is a valentine one or any detector gonna save you while you are in ONLY car on the road in the middle of nowhere?

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001

yeah... he said i could have been arrested, so i guess i did get off easy.

as for "acts of stupidity", the road is easy as hell, there's almost no turn-ins, oncoming traffic is almost null at that hour. the speed was excessive, but when you've done the road a thousand times, you get cocky.

Route 202- the section from route 2 to route 9

I know what ya mean, Ive done 75-80 on a 40, but the road is empty for the most part in an industrial area

pclstyle

Platinum Member
Apr 14, 2004
Originally posted by: OREOSpeedwagon
Back in April I got caught going 85 in a 50 and tried to hide from the cop.. he found me though and, luckily, all i got was a $182 ticket for 35 over :eek:

Haha I was seriously considering hiding as well. He was oncoming and when I passed him I had that adrenaline surge you always get, but it faded fast when his taillights disappeared over the ridge and I didn't see him. I thought i was home free.

5 minutes later, he's blaring sirens at my rear bumper. Way to toy with my emotions, na mean?

EDIT: As for oncoming, I saw the telltale radar gun over the mirror as soon as we had line of sight, and i hit the brakes hard, let them go right before we passed- buttttt... obviously he tagged me a split second earlier. It was probably pretty suspicious seeing a car's speed drop from 92 to 50 in a 10 second split as well. :(

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: OREOSpeedwagon

did he even mention that he could have gotten you for evading police or something?

Originally posted by: homestarmy
Obligatory... you could have hit a woman and her ten babies that was pregnant and going to cure cancer and...

lmao

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

Curiously though, I have learned my lesson. I now only do 80 on that road, and have purchased a Valentine One.

ouch ...how many points?

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
so you got caught doing 92 in a 50 mph zone and you think you've learned you lesson by only going 80 now :confused:

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
Originally posted by: PurdueRy
Was it worth the 9 minutes you save by doing that?

not really. but honestly, when you've done the same particular stretch countless times at 20, 25 mph over the speed limit, trying to maintain a more "legal" speed is downright painful.

So damned true. I have a hard time trying to go the speed limit on the freeways anymore outside of rush hour, when no one can get going that fast. In fact, it's near impossible to only go 55mph on any freeway in my state, you'll get your booty run over.

If I keep driving home like I did this afternoon, I'll get a similar ticket. I was hitting 90, 95mph in the HOV lane(at 1pm in the afternoon, I was ok to be there) trying to catch up to the other people in the lane.

[puts on flame suit]

On a side note, I got a ticket for 62 in a 40 about 2 years ago. I'm due for another trip to court and traffic school to make it disappear.

pclstyle

Platinum Member
Apr 14, 2004
Originally posted by: halik

ouch ...how many points?

No idea yet.. gonna try and do the classes thing as substitution.

Anyone know whether the classes vs. points option is given by the judge, or by your insurance company?