8th Annual BOINC Pentathlon

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thought I had LHC working last night, woke up this morning to all LHC tasks reporting something like this:

5/10/2017 4:48:08 AM | LHC@home | task postponed 86400.000000 sec: VM Hypervisor failed to enter an online state in a timely fashion.

Cosmology did the same thing.

I get the same thing...guessing the VBox isn't set up right. Doing the NON-Vbox tasks.:confounded:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
There is a newer version of VirtualBox (5.1.22) than is supplied with the current download of BOINC + VirtualBox (5.0.18). The newer version is working, so far...

Edit: Now it would be nice to know why Windows is reporting "virtually" no CPU usage with 8 single thread LHC tasks and one eight thread LHC task running in 7 VMs.

Edit 2: And now at least 6 11 have failed with "Computation Error," this on a stock-clocked Ryzen 1700X. The Event Log only states that they are "finished," which is not helpful.

Edit 3: It looks as though unless I can figure out how to run only the "8 CPU" WUs, I'm going to have to detach this project.

Last edited:

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Sorry guys, was running late this morning and didn't get a systems check on my machines. My 280x's are offline for some reason, hope its just a Teamviewer issue, if not I'm losing about 40K points per hour its down. Argh!!!

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
@crashtech, error diagnostics should at least be available after the failed task was reported to the project server. There you might get something if you look at the task details in your results table.

Before upload, it may be possible to inspect logs with the virtualbox manager, as long as the manager still shows you the VM.

In other news, 3200 or 3500 little Einsteins said "hello world" at my place earlier today. (2700 of them had already hatched before the race, the others since beginning of the race.) 800 more are going out now, and then my GPUs will be online normally.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
[Marathon, Cosmology@Home]

What a waste: camb_legacy has got 50 % error rate due to segfault on Gentoo Linux + dual processor. (But not on Gentoo + single processor, nor on OpenSuse + dual processor.)

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
[Marathon, Cosmology@Home]

VBox 5.0.36 from the repository for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is generally working for me. I get a few error tasks, but not an overwhelming number.

Oddly, VBox 4.2.16 is also working for me on my Windows machine.

Edit: And the same version works on an old Mint Debian install.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I've stopped trying to run Cosmology@Home and LHC@Home for now, too many problems, too little time.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
It occurs to me that maybe everyone who can do VB apps without a problem should keep doing so, while everyone who's "stopped trying to run Cosmology@Home and LHC@Home for now, too many problems, too little time", should run Yoyo, preferably the ECM app.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
It occurs to me that maybe everyone who can do VB apps without a problem should keep doing so, while everyone who's "stopped trying to run Cosmology@Home and LHC@Home for now, too many problems, too little time", should run Yoyo, preferably the ECM app.
Done, sorry to be such a big dummy! :p

yoyo is not bunkering well, I'll have to see if letting some results go back to the server improves things...

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Done, sorry to be such a big dummy! :p

yoyo is not bunkering well, I'll have to see if letting some results go back to the server improves things...
I'm sure you're not the only one who couldn't figure out VB. Maybe I'm just lucky because I run a VB VM for work every day.

There might be Yoyo tips and tricks in the FormulaBOINC thread.

Meanwhile, I'm downloading enough Einstein work for 2 3 days, so it'll be more likely to be completed by then.

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I figured out why I didn't do ECM last time. The WUs using 1GB RAM were a problem when I only had 4 to use. Now they're not - see my sig. :)
This reminded me to check the current RAM usage. I have some suspended camb_legacy on a 2P box on which I still had "Leave non-GPU tasks in memory while suspended" enabled. I switched that off and resumed+suspended the camb_legacy tasks once more and got some RAM back.

Reactions: Ken g6

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
@Markfw Your little brown truck driver swing by and say hello yet? I am pretty sure that new card is pregnant, and it can hardly wait to start popping out some little Einsteins!
Not yet. Probably 3 more hours. They come at the end of the day..

But I have a possibly serious problem. This system has a E5-2683, and 16 gig of ram, and 2 x 980TI (which each have 6 gig of their own memory) and memory usage of the system is at 84%, 13.2 of 15.9 physical memory. But I have all these idle tasks waiting on memory !!! And CPU is at only 42% !!

WTF ???????

sZCLD7O.png