8800GTX vs 8800GTS OC

Overspeed

Feb 16, 2008
Hello,

Almost have my my rig planned out, and now it's down to a video card choice. I have been looking at two editions ... the 8800GTX specifically this one:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21992

And the 8800GTS specifically this one:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28231 (specs listed in title only)

I buy computers in 2-3 year cycles so whatever I choose would need to last me at least that long. FYI I'm moving away from an X800 Pro which served me well. Now I've done my research on the two models ... G80 vs G92, operating temperatures, size, noise, memory speed and so forth. I am curious to know what you would choose and why? The one concern that I have with the GTX is the length that apparently won't fit in the case I chose and the operating temps of 85 deg average. Here are the pros and cons as I see them:

GTX Pros
- More onboard memory
- Faster memory
- Faster than the GTS on most scenarios

GTX Cons
- HUGE, won't fit in case
- HOT, turn my office into sauna
- HOT, may overheat other components in case as reported by some users
- Expensive

GTS Pros
- OC/Top editions can perform close to GTX
- Cheaper than GTX
- Newer architecure
- Will fit in any case

GTS Cons
- Not as fast as GTX
- Shorter useful lifespan
- Superclocked editions get hot

All of the above in mind I am still unable to make a firm choise, so I ask you what experiences you have had with these cards or what you might choose given the criteria. I will runs these on the new Dell 2408 when released, my Dell rep says two 1/2 more weeks as of yesterday. Much appriciated.

MyLeftNut

Jul 22, 2007
If you're building every 2-3 years then look at it this way. The GTX has been out for a while now and the GTS performance isn't any better overall either. Mind waiting just a bit to see what the next month or two brings? There's also news on some stuff out in the summer.

Overspeed

Feb 16, 2008
Thank you for suggestion MyLeftNut but the mobo on my current PC is fried (old AGP model not replacable) and i'm looking to buy right away.

SilentGem

Feb 16, 2008
Personally I would purchase a SLI compatible Motherboard and then go for a single 8800 GTS. IMHO, performance increase does not justify the increased size and extra heat/noise generated. Also the GTS makes use of newer technology.

I would then purchase a second cheap (!) 8800 GTS 6-12 months down the line to increase performance in games.

You have not stated what you are primarily going to use the computer for. Unless you play a lot of games and really want to play them in a very high resolution on a fairly big monitor I can?t see any good argument for getting the GTX over the GTS.

I?m not an expert however, so take my comments with a pinch of salt.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Originally posted by: SilentGem
Personally I would purchase a SLI compatible Motherboard and then go for a single 8800 GTS. IMHO, performance increase does not justify the increased size and extra heat/noise generated. Also the GTS makes use of newer technology.

I would then purchase a second cheap (!) 8800 GTS 6-12 months down the line to increase performance in games.

You have not stated what you are primarily going to use the computer for. Unless you play a lot of games and really want to play them in a very high resolution on a fairly big monitor I can?t see any good argument for getting the GTX over the GTS.

I?m not an expert however, so take my comments with a pinch of salt.

Good advice. I've owned both. The GTX offers smoother gameplay in games where large amounts of textures are being pushed around. An RPG like The Witcher for example. I noticed a diff at 1680 x 1050. The biggest GTS con is less memory and lower bandwidth.

I sold my GTX because it was simply time to do so. Sold it for nice coin prior to GTS release. Currently running GTS's in SLI @ 740/1835/990.

Overspeed

Feb 16, 2008
Thanx for the suggestions. The reason I was not considering SLI is because or the reports I have heard that some games have a problem with SLI. In some situations SLI offered no advantage and in some situations SLI performed slowed than a single GPU. I was also concerned about doubling the noise and heat.

That said, I haven't considered an ATI option. I can get this card for $500 which is what I was going to pay for the GTX anyways:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28068

I haven't done any reviews on the card or any research on X2 technology so I can't speculate on performace or otherwise.

Because I got no votes for the GTX, if I do go nVidia, I will go with the GTS option. What are you feelings about standard vs superclocked editions? Thanx much.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
I am in the same boat right now.

Appears you don't have as much of a budget restriction as me however;)

I've come down to two options eventually.

A) Following MarcVenice's sound advice of buying a 8800 GT OC MSI (that has a great cooler, probably the best I've seen) and overclock it even higher and eventually get a 9800 after the second generation comes out.

B) Wait for the first generation of 9xxx's to come out, watch the 768 GTX Drop in price and grab one then.

You can do your own overclocking as long as you have a good cooler. I'm actually tempted to with the MSI since its cooling solution is amazing compared to even more expensive cards. Better Cooling solution = more stable OC's.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
The HD3870x2 is pretty damn good. It's considered the fastest single card option. Although sometimes the performance is only that of an 8800GTS 512/8800GTX, sometimes it can pass even an 8800 Ultra.

MyLeftNut

Jul 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Overspeed
Thank you for suggestion MyLeftNut but the mobo on my current PC is fried (old AGP model not replacable) and i'm looking to buy right away.

In this case, I would suggest you get the cheapest 8800gt or 9600gt (whichever ends up better bang for buck wise), then later on buy the next generation offerings due out after the summer.