8800GT drivers???

bharatwaja

Dec 20, 2007
I will be moving to Vista 64 Ultimate in a couple of days....

Yesterday I purchased the Giga Byte 8800GT GV-NX88T512HP... I dont like installing the drivers from the provided CD.... so I went online to giga byte website to download drivers for XP (currently using) and Vista x64 (installing after a couple of days)....

I found that in the gigabyte website the driver version is given as Nvidia 169.06 where as on the Nvidia Site it is 169.25....

So which of these shud I install? I mean, is there anythng specific with the gigabyte drivers, like say, for their product, enhanced in some way??

Is it better to use the Nvidia drivers or the Gigabyte website drivers?? and why??

Also , one more question....

I am using the Dell Ultra sharp 1708 FP monitor.... it supports dual display, but I have to press a button on the monitor to switch to analog/digital mode.... is there some way to use a software to change the display from analog to digital and vice versa?? cause i dont like stretching out to the monitor panel to switch display each time :D

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think you'll find anyone here that uses the manufacturer's drivers, we always use the drivers provided directly by ATI/Nvidia, so go with the drivers on Nvidia's site.

bharatwaja

Dec 20, 2007
but since mine is an overclocked version, will there be any difference??? also, the cooler is not the reference design one, its one from zalman....

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Overclocked versions have bios settings modified, it's recognized as such regardless of the driver version. Drivers found on mfr site or what ships with the card are nvidia's drivers. It's generally a good idea to use the latest drivers, found on nvidia's site. Many will even use the beta drivers found there. Analog vs. digital is based on the input you use. If you're using a VGA cable, it's analog. If you have DVI cable, it's digital.

bharatwaja

Dec 20, 2007
its a dual display type monitor... I have connected VGA to my old PC and DVI to my new one... To switch the display I have to press a button on the Display... so I am thinking, if there is some kinda software with which I can switch the modes, is there??

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Yea OP, your monitor will switch automatically. It recognizes from which input it's receiving signal. Most monitors will flash the word analog or digital real quick. If you don't see it, prolly because windows is loading and blanks it out during resolution fixing.

bharatwaja

Dec 20, 2007
what about the software for switching from analog to digital so that i dont have to reach to my monitor to press that darned button to see my old pc in vga or new one in dvi?? is that not possible?

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
I take it you have both pc's running and want to switch over as needed. No setting in the software, sorry. You're gonna have to make that reach to the monitor.

I can design a remote controlled actuating switch that will push the button for you. You can relax in your chair with remote in hand. I'd need a couple pics of your monitor and chair to start the project. Let me know if you'd like a quote on that..

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
90% of the time the "manufacturer" only took an nvidia reference card and put a sticker on it. Unless it looks completely different then all other cards then that is the case.

The drivers on the "manufacturers" website ARE the nvidia drivers, they go to nvidia.com download the latest drivers, and put them on the site. But they usually do NOT update them.
By going to nvidia.com you can always get the latest drivers for your card.

OC version or all that other stuff does NOT matter. The drivers are the same. Go to nvidia.com and download them.