8800GS aftermarket coolers?

SorryImLate

Jan 3, 2008
Was thinking of getting a Zalman VF1000 for my EVGA 8800GS, Unless anyone else has some better suggestions?

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Why do you need something aftermarket?

I have four of those 8800GS/9600GSO cards (all EVGA) and the coolers are more than adequate. Just bump up the fan speed a little with RivaTuner if it gets warm. I have mine running F@H 24/7 and with the fan bumped up slightly they never get over 70C.

SorryImLate

Jan 3, 2008
Does stock cooler cool better than a zalman? You dont think i will be able to acheive higher OC

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
The money spent on an aftermarket cooler for overclocking would have been better put to use buying a faster video card to begin with.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Just FYI: if you're looking for a quiet cooler, Zalman's GPU coolers are very efficient and silent. I bought a VF900 for my 8800GT last year after I got sick of listening to the ridiculously loud stock cooler at 70% during games.

SorryImLate

Jan 3, 2008
yea ive had one before on an old card i was just trying to get some good recomendations of what other people use.

coolpurplefan

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2006
I got a ridiculously expensive solution. I wanted a more silent PC so I ordered a bunch of Nexus fans, a Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme fan controller and a Thermalright HR-03 GT. I have not received all my parts yet but I'll try to let you know. lol

Anyway, I did test a whole bunch of fans on a fan controller and can confirm that the black and white or orange Nexus fans are silent. And a fan controller can get them more silent. However, I think it's best to have heatpipe cooling with those anyway because they don't push massive amounts of air. The clear Nexus fans push hella lots of air but are louder. (compared 2 Nexus fans, Scythe, Coolermaster, Gigabyte)

One thing though, even if I installed lots of silent fans on a fan controller in a desktop it seems to make enough wind noise to make it seem a little noisy anyway. Right now I have the HIS IceQ HD4670 in my mid tower and no fan controller and there's still some noise. The computer is a lot more silent than it was though. I can now hear the WD hard drive. I have the impression it's just the "wind noise" because I know the Nexus silent fans are silent, I tested them out of a case.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: SorryImLate
Does stock cooler cool better than a zalman? You dont think i will be able to acheive higher OC

Achieve higher overclocks? No. Unless you are voltmodding I don't see a reason to get a after market cooler.

Why not just get a better card if you want more performance?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Azn

Achieve higher overclocks? No. Unless you are voltmodding I don't see a reason to get a after market cooler.

Why not just get a better card if you want more performance?

Exactly. You can overclock the card further with a better heatsink, but not by much and sometimes it doesn't allow you even 1 mhz higher, over the stock cooler. Volt modding is the only way to really increase performance and for that you need a very good heatsink. But if you don't volt mod, don't bother throwing the money like that.

Keep your $$ for a faster card. That is the best advice.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Azn & Error have pretty much summed it up. The stock cooler on the 8800GS is actually quite good and more than adequate for moderate overclocking (all four of mine easily do 700 or higher on stock cooling with the fans bumped up slightly). At that speed they're about as fast as a stock 8800GT and still nearly silent.

If you decide to do a voltmod to push performance even higher, just follow one of the guides & they should include hints as to how high you can safely go on stock cooling. Just keep in mind that even with voltmodding there are no guarantees in overclocking results.

Bill Kunert

Oct 9, 1999

My EVGA 8800GS OC is running 747/1765/1060(2120) with the fan set at 55% at idle and up to 100% at 80C. It never goes above 75C running FurMark. I don't think an after market cooler will give much better performance. The stock fan profile is too slow ramping up the fan.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Bill Kunert

My EVGA 8800GS OC is running 747/1765/1060(2120) with the fan set at 55% at idle and up to 100% at 80C. It never goes above 75C running FurMark. I don't think an after market cooler will give much better performance. The stock fan profile is too slow ramping up the fan.

I have similar clocks to yours. My GS has a threshold of 80C. It doesn't like anything higher than 80C when it's overclocked. I leave it on variable fan for me. 30% at idle and ramps up as the card gets warm. 100% fan @ 78.5C. Doesn't quite reach 100% even if I'm playing games for hours at these clocks. My fan is anywhere from 60-70% when gaming.

SorryImLate

Jan 3, 2008
Almost stable at 680/1558/2000. Memory can probably go higher but i got an error with the shader after 21 minutes. Core wont clock over 680mhz just like its was stated when they came out.

Also not going over 66c w/ fan at 100%

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
So as long as its below 80c on the gpu your good?

Not sure. This is the result with my card. It could vary. I'm sure.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Almost stable at 680/1558/2000. Memory can probably go higher but i got an error with the shader after 21 minutes. Core wont clock over 680mhz just like its was stated when they came out.

Also not going over 66c w/ fan at 100%

You might want to do he volt mod in your bios. Search the web for extra voltage for 8800gt and I don't have energy cause I just drank some rum to link you to your holy grail.

SorryImLate

Jan 3, 2008
Got it stable right now at 680/1540/2000. Yesterday it wouldnt let the core go back 680 but now it is weird.