8800 GT to Radeon HD 6850

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ikbenrenz

May 22, 2012
Well as u can see the gpu load is very low.It can happen due to CPU bottleneck.Oc the GPU and if doesn't yield any benefits then u r in a CPU bottlenecked situation.

I suppose you mean OC the CPU? I'm not really comfortable OC'ing it, as I've never done it before.

Last edited:

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
I suppose you mean OC the CPU? I'm not really comfortable OC'ing it, as I've never done it before.
Nope I meant OC the GPU.If ocing the GPU doesn't yield any benefits u are in a bottlenecked situation.Then keep the GPU clock same but oc the CPU and check the results.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Nope I meant OC the GPU.If ocing the GPU doesn't yield any benefits u are in a bottlenecked situation.Then keep the GPU clock same but oc the CPU and check the results.

The second post in this thread is a more elegant way of checking to see if you're CPU-limited as it does not stretch the capacity of the hardware at all. :)

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
The second post in this thread is a more elegant way of checking to see if you're CPU-limited as it does not stretch the capacity of the hardware at all. :)
no, the BEST way to see if you are cpu limited is to simply lower the res and see if the framerate improves.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
no, the BEST way to see if you are cpu limited is to simply lower the res and see if the framerate improves.

o_O I don't know what "graphics settings" means to you, but to me, graphics includes everything: resolution, textures, models, AA, AF, tessellation, ambient occlusion, HDR, etc.

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
I went from an 9800GTX -> HD 6850 and didn't notice much of an improvement when I had my Core2 Duo D7200. You can turn on more eye candy and achieve the same framerates, but it didn't actually increase my framerates by much. Once I got my i7, there was a substantial boost in FPS. However, I was mostly playing TF2 which can be very cpu limited.

Try changing the graphics to low, run some tests, and change them back to high. If you notice little change, you're definitely CPU limited.

ikbenrenz

May 22, 2012
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
4422, 60000, 41, 141, 73.700

Combat Arms @1280x1024

4480, 60000, 43, 117, 74.667

Combat Arms @1680x1050

Fraps Benchmarks, I don't know what conclusion to draw from this..

EDIT: I'm always playing with everything off except Flares and Blood effect.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I went from an 9800GTX -> HD 6850 and didn't notice much of an improvement when I had my Core2 Duo D7200. You can turn on more eye candy and achieve the same framerates, but it didn't actually increase my framerates by much. Once I got my i7, there was a substantial boost in FPS. However, I was mostly playing TF2 which can be very cpu limited.

Try changing the graphics to low, run some tests, and change them back to high. If you notice little change, you're definitely CPU limited.

Man, tf2 is probably one of the most cpu bottleneck games compared to the need for gpu power :) Hardly a good example of most games.

I had a laptop core2 1.5ghz, with a nv m8600gs! 5 years back or so, and i changed to a 2.5 Ghz penryn just to play TF2. And TF2 was just acceptable on the big multiplayer games, when they enabled multicore later, ---they could play this game on a SGS3 today, if they enabled quad core.

But ofcourse it depends on your games. But i think the point is, low fps hurts if they are cpu or gpu bound. But i have the impression that for most in this forum, low fps for cpu hurts their feelings more :)

In the house we have an old core 2 duo desktop, overclocked to 3.8Ghz with a 6850 gfx, and it simply gives a much, much better gaming experience in bf3 than a xps laptop with a quad core SB, with a NV 555, oc to 770 GHz.

Who cares where the bottleneck is then?, what matters is experience in relation to cost.

Every idiot can buy a quad core SB and a fancy gfx. if they have the doe. The challenge is to upgrade for as little as possible, to get to "good enough" to enjoy the games.

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
4422, 60000, 41, 141, 73.700

Combat Arms @1280x1024

4480, 60000, 43, 117, 74.667

Combat Arms @1680x1050

Fraps Benchmarks, I don't know what conclusion to draw from this..

EDIT: I'm always playing with everything off except Flares and Blood effect.

What this means is that you are completely cpu-bottlenecked. Both averages are within the margin of error, and the lower resolution actually runs slower - so clearly, your GPU is not working harder at higher resolution. Even your minimums are the same, again a sign that the GPU is not stressed.

Verdict: you'll need to play a more modern game to realize the benefit of your new video card. The games you're playing simply weren't in need of a GPU boost. If you aren't satisfied with the performance you're getting in the older games you've listed, you'll need a CPU upgrade.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
o_O I don't know what "graphics settings" means to you, but to me, graphics includes everything: resolution, textures, models, AA, AF, tessellation, ambient occlusion, HDR, etc.
again the ONLY thing that needs to be changed to check for cpu bottleneck is a lowering of the resolution. ;)

ikbenrenz

May 22, 2012
Well that's pretty much it then :p
Since I have quite an old mobo, a 775 ddr 2 one, I'll have to get me another one!
Thanks for the help, appreciate it.
I suppose this topic can be locked now.