8600gt - acting erratic

thefuzmixman

Jun 19, 2008
Hey fellas.

I'm having the strangest issues with my graphics card. It seems to overheat to extremely high temps without even taxing my pc. Just running a game can take it from 50c to 75+ until it decides to crash to the desktop. Before the crash occurs, i get polygons that seem to "stick" to where my mouse pointer is stretching all over the screen and the game appears to flicker into an extremely high contrast setting. It may happen a few times, but shortly there after I get extreme performance slowdowns eventually causing a ctd. Roughly, 10-20 minutes into playing. And it doesn't just stop at games. Other software that displays 3d such as the 3d app TSRWorkshop and the 3dplanesoft koifish screensaver. My idle temps are 50-55c and I'm using NvTemplogger to measure them.

Now, before this card, I had an hd3850 and it worked just fine with no problems so I don't suspect that it's the pc itself thought it could be. It's been like this more or less for the 2 months that I've had the 8600 installed and I don't know what else I can do. I've tried updating drivers, re-seating my card, checking that the heatsink and fan are secure on the card, and I've even used my desktop fan with the 1 side of the case taken off, but I'm still getting extremely high temperatures.

Is it time to scrap this or does it seem like this card can be fixed somehow? The exact model of the card is an Nvidia Geforce 8600GT with no sign of an aftermarket branding either on the card itself or from the device manager.

thefuzmixman

Jun 19, 2008
Well if those are normal temps, what do you suppose could be the issue? If teh heat isn't crashing my apps - the big question is what is and can it be fixed, ya know?

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
the card could be dying still, but i was just saying your temps are fine. I would try a video driver reinstall and also reseating the card in the slot. YOu could try replacing the tim(thermal interface material aka thermal grease) on the heatsink. Could be your power supply not providing enough juice. Try these and come back

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Many 8600GTs are giving up the ghost this year. Look for missing / bulging capacitors on the circuit board. Since you've only had the card 2 months what do you know about its history? As in, did the previous owner overclock it until it started having problems before selling it to you?

thefuzmixman

Jun 19, 2008
I got the card off of Ebay from one of those "established" sellers and was told it was new. I paid right around 50 bucks for it.

Ok after a closer inspection, i don't see any missing or bursting capacitors. The card does feel extremely hot though and I've done nothing to tax it.

Last edited: