8600/8500 reviews?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: bigsnyder
Asking for evidence from their current review (not considering the history of past reviews alone)
doesn't make me a newbie. I feel credibility is lost when the only thing I read is that HardOCP
sucks without any information to back it up.

C Snyder

Originally posted by: tuteja1986
Bigsnyder your a newbie when it comes to graphic card. People in here aren't dumb ... its just that stupid editor of the website has done some horrible things in past. If you want a decent Video 7600GTS review then go check firing squad review.

Some members have alluded to HardOCP testing cards from very different price ranges as though they were competitors ;)

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
Not trying to start any argument, but several of you are bashing HardOCP's review without presenting solid reasons
as to why their reviewed is flawed. Just would like some more information that back the opinions up.

C Snyder

Wow, you have a lot of built up anger. Actually I've never been a big fan of Firing Squad so I guess you just have to take many reviews into consideration before making a decision. While I do think that Hardocp was a little over enthusiastic in their support for the 8600, I don't think the review over all was that bad.

Yes it was, and it was because they compare overclocked 220$ 8600 GTS models agaisnt a 130-140$ 1950 PRO... Then rave about how awesome the GTS is... W T F ?

They dont want apples to apples? Fine, but at least bench cards IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE

:thumbsdown:

As some people are saying on HOCP boards, they would have done a better job by comparing the 8600GTS vs 1950XT since those are in the same price bracket, but of course, they are paid so obviously they wouldnt do that, because then the 8600GTS would get stomped, just like it gets stomped by the 8800GTS 320... That site has long lost all its credibility to me, how people still believe their bullshit is beyond me

I've been thinking the same thing about all the reviews, which put the 8600gts against the 1950pro...based on pricing, should it be put against the 1950xt 256mb? Isn't that card within like $20 of the pricerange now?

I understand reviewers position though, they can't piss all over new stuff if they want to continue to receive new parts for test. So what they do is praise it in the conclusion and show it in the benchmarks. I stopped doing more then skimming the "conclusions" section back when I read a review about CL2 versus CL3 SDRAM. The conclusion praised the ram as totally worth the extra money for the signifigant performance increase, when its own benchmarks showed no better then %3 on any of the tests.

The really bad sites will stack the benchmarks though, like toms hardware awhile back when they were paring AMD systems with cheap crap and the intel systems with top of the line memory. The time spent reading the conclusion section now is spent reading the "test setup" section.

As always, its buyer beware!

coldpower27

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Acanthus
I really do understand the functional difference.

I just find it astonishing that the performance delta between mid range and high end continues to widen, with very little attractive options in the middle.

Well this isn't surprising once you factor in holding a constant price point in the mid range.

The flagships have the luxury of passing the increased cost to the consumer in the form of higher price points.

The mid range doesn't. If NV increases cost here they will have to eat it.

coldpower27

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
Not trying to start any argument, but several of you are bashing HardOCP's review without presenting solid reasons
as to why their reviewed is flawed. Just would like some more information that back the opinions up.

C Snyder

Wow, you have a lot of built up anger. Actually I've never been a big fan of Firing Squad so I guess you just have to take many reviews into consideration before making a decision. While I do think that Hardocp was a little over enthusiastic in their support for the 8600, I don't think the review over all was that bad.

Yes it was, and it was because they compare overclocked 220$ 8600 GTS models agaisnt a 130-140$ 1950 PRO... Then rave about how awesome the GTS is... W T F ?

They dont want apples to apples? Fine, but at least bench cards IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE

:thumbsdown:

As some people are saying on HOCP boards, they would have done a better job by comparing the 8600GTS vs 1950XT since those are in the same price bracket, but of course, they are paid so obviously they wouldnt do that, because then the 8600GTS would get stomped, just like it gets stomped by the 8800GTS 320... That site has long lost all its credibility to me, how people still believe their bullshit is beyond me

I've been thinking the same thing about all the reviews, which put the 8600gts against the 1950pro...based on pricing, should it be put against the 1950xt 256mb? Isn't that card within like $20 of the pricerange now?

I understand reviewers position though, they can't piss all over new stuff if they want to continue to receive new parts for test. So what they do is praise it in the conclusion and show it in the benchmarks. I stopped doing more then skimming the "conclusions" section back when I read a review about CL2 versus CL3 SDRAM. The conclusion praised the ram as totally worth the extra money for the signifigant performance increase, when its own benchmarks showed no better then %3 on any of the tests.

The really bad sites will stack the benchmarks though, like toms hardware awhile back when they were paring AMD systems with cheap crap and the intel systems with top of the line memory. The time spent reading the conclusion section now is spent reading the "test setup" section.

As always, its buyer beware!

MSRP vs MSRP... Not Just introduced card price to older depreciated card price.

8600 GTS, 7900 GS and X1950 Pro all share the MSRP 199US at launch.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Cheex
The most I can say at this point is that I'm disappointed. I kinda waited on the mid-range DX10 from Nvidia and they have sorely disappointed me. In the price range of the 8600GTS, I might as well go buy the X1950XT that I have been keeping my eyes on.

The most I can say at this point is that I'm disappointed.