8 Years Club

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
As many of you old timers know, I took a tour of the Arecibo facility very shortly after the @home project was launched. At the time I was very active on the "Skeet" circuit and computers were only an appliance I used to trade the stock and commodity markets.

I was forced to quit the tournament circuit due to back spasms and arthritis the following year. That's when I discovered "AnandTech" and got recruited by Wiz and Assimilator1. :)

So my start date is not as old as many of you but I do go back pretty far. I remember discussing the possibility of life on other planets with Benjamin Franklin. :D

LANMAN

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
So messing around with the UserID's a bit, I thought I would throw in the #1 spot on the URL.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_user.php?userid=1

This person, (group probably.. thats alot of CPU power!!) has over 8 MILLION classic wu's done!! :shocked:

Dang, that makes my 83k pretty small! WOW!!
Guess that would slightly qualify for the beer :beer: and hottub :)heart: Babes :heart:) back in the day, ah? (if he was a AT member of course) ;)

I would have to agree with Rattledagger though, I don't remember what my "B-date" was for SETI. I'm sure it was up and running way before I got in because a news cast on TV is what sparked my interest. (loved that GUI)

my 02. I really don't like the graphic representation they have now. If they could just modify it so you have the option of not having it tilting etc.. while your watching it work. Sorry, I just like my eye candy.... :)

--LANMAN

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
LANMAN, you have a good point - the GUI was really responsible for getting a lot of people started back in the day.

Hardbody DC'ers run it silent & deep, not "wasting" cycles on the pretty colors... but giving credit where it's due the GUI did a lot to get people involved.

I've been running BOINC since Seti1 ended, but I have a RAC of zero due to running under a TeAm account all this time. I can pick my computer ID's out of the lineup so I know how they are doing and I guess that's been enough for me. That and hoping "they" are doing something positive with the cycles I'm donating. ;)

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: LANMAN
So messing around with the UserID's a bit, I thought I would throw in the #1 spot on the URL.
Yes, the Ministry of Serendipity was #1 then Classic ended, but like many others has not been heard of afterwards.

It's also interesting to look on some other accounts, like #2 that claims to have crunched "classic" for 187929 hours, but has zero wu's to show for it. So, clearly one of the many accounts zeroed-out. :evil: Atleast with these accounts, it's understandable they're not crunching SETI/BOINC.

my 02. I really don't like the graphic representation they have now. If they could just modify it so you have the option of not having it tilting etc.. while your watching it work. Sorry, I just like my eye candy.... :)

--LANMAN
You can go into your Project-specific Preferences and change the behaviour of the screensaver, and AFAIK it is possible to get a static picture. Not sure on the exact settings, but if my recollection isn't too bad, the BOINC Wiki should have the info hidden-away somewhere...

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: petrusbroder
No, rather grand-uncle ... ;)
lol:D

LANMAN
I know a little bit about that account (I used to hangout in the OcUk DC forums quite a bit ,keep your friends close & you're enemy closer;))
IIRC it was a massive DC farm contributed to by various OcUk members ,they had pics of it ,it was enormous!:Q