8 Years Club

MadMurph

Jul 10, 2007
Hey, Assimilator1, this looks like fun, can I play, too? It was so long ago since I was crunching SETI, I forgot when I even started the account. Couldn't believe they still had my account info, although I was unable to access it because the e- addy was extinct. Merged the account and crunched a few units just to access the verif:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu...ser.php?userid=8730465

Gee, I think the "hours" count, alone, should be good enough for your little club. Maybe, now that I know it's all still intact, I'll put a couple of boxes on it. You're just having too much fun. Oh, and BTW, :D I think I've got you by 5 months, but who's counting. :D MM

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
MadMurph
lol ,dang you! 5mths! ;)
You may of started then when S@H was in beta stage ,IIRC that was April-early May '99.A few others around here have start dates in 5/99 Wiz & MGallik are 2.
You really are an oldie :p

Atm I'm getting This page requires database access. Our database server is temporarily shut down for maintenance. Please try again later. from the links so I can't checkout your stats :(.

Did you join TA way back then? if so see if you're listed in some old stats I've saved on my website ,(team listings at the bottom)

MadMurph

Jul 10, 2007
Emphasis on "old."
Yeah, those 29k cpu hours would be just under 4years @ 24/7. Yikes!! No TA association back then, just solo.

(and, yeah, the server has been down for a while now; I can't even get any new WU's.) :(

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
it always shuts down for several hours on tuesday. I usually build in a couple of day's worth of WU's in case they blow something up while they're updating...

madmurph, I'll bet you're a pretty cool teacher to have. It's good to see somebody with initiative and drive preparing our kids for their futures!

edit: it's working now. looks like you have 2 units up and running!

MadMurph

Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: bryanW1995

madmurph, I'll bet you're a pretty cool teacher to have. It's good to see somebody with initiative and drive preparing our kids for their futures!
Appreciate the kind thoughts. Those of us working "outside the box" (while using the "box" :) )often find it quite an uphill battle. Just trying to fight the good fight. Cheers, MM

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Madmurph
I meant old SETI user not old age :) ,btw you've got me beat on sign up date but I've pipped you on classic WUs;)

Neurodog
I see your account still links to the old TA SETI hobbit site ,sadly that finally went down about 2mths before SETI classic did ,still it lasted well from ??/99-11/05 :)
(I see my link's messed up).

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
lol ,have you crunched every single BOINC project? was the belgian :beer: good?;)

And that was one mean machine you crunched those whole 2WUs on;) ,was it a PII 233?
I did 51.2k btw:p

LANMAN
You've got us all beat!:cool:
Is it even possible to have an earlier sign up date?
I remember on the old SETI site that you could look users by reg date ,& I remember looking to see what the earliest was ,but I can't remember what I found out.I wonder if that page is still available?

[edit] yes I found it! Reg index for SETI classic
Thier's a March 1st 1999 group!:Q ,wow! must be really early beta testers!
Wierd how it then jumps to March 22 & 25.
Wth?? your class doesn't exist!:confused: ,no April 3rd!:(
Well looking at other links I worked out that this is April 3rd 1999 but it's blank ,I think you should email them & get yourself in there. :)

lol ,they've got sign up dates listed upto Jan 06 ,long after SETI classic ended (their all blank of course).IIRC SETI classic sign up was stopped long before it was killed.Hmm ,they seem to have alot of missing data ,their's nothing after Feb 10th 02!

I'm 1st in my reg class:D

Oh & you're nearer 9yrs now than 8;)

Hymy
Beaten me by 2mths ;)

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I saw this post and had to go look up when I had signed up for seti, I remember it as if it was yesterday. Smoking fast p2 266(had just upgraded from a 133) 32 megs of ram. Oh yeah and it wasnt even my pc. 5 whole work units then then my gf(wife now) says "I dont want that crap on my computer" Damn shot down.(tho I did run dnet from time to time as it was easier to hide).

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu...ser.php?userid=2349678

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
14.8hrs/WU ,not bad;) ,I'm guessing now that Jims PC wasn't a PII 233 but either a Pentium MMX o/ced to ~266 or a K6 ~350.

Btw you married her even after she killed off DC for ya!:Q ,wow that's devotion;)

:D

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
lol ,have you crunched every single BOINC project? was the belgian :beer: good?;)

And that was one mean machine you crunched those whole 2WUs on;) ,was it a PII 233?
I did 51.2k btw:p

:D I believe it was a P233, though I'm not sure it was a PII. I still have it here, somewhere.

That box has a funny story. In late 1994 or so, I was talking with some people I knew from the WeLL (online BBS) about general WWW tech and something new I'd heard about called VRML. So, in order to pursue this, I needed something besides the heavily modified Quadra 630 that had been my main box. At the time, I was pretty flush with cash and pretty naive about Wintel hardware, so I plunked down nearly $7k for what was then a top of the line Dell box. It came as a 133, which was the fastest proc at the time. Loaded to the gills with maybe 256Mb RAM? I can't remember. Anyway, I later added the 233Mhz proc, but even that was not enough, though it lasted me as a main box until 1999, and did web server duties until 2004.

Seven grand for a box. Of course, I still wince when I remember paying ~$1000 for a 32Mb dimm for the Quadra. :roll:

-jim

note: plug my UID and VRML into Google if you feel like stalking me. :laugh:

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: LANMAN
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu...ser.php?userid=3337177
April 1999

Wow, where has time gone? LOL!!

83k Classic work units - guess you could say I was addicted. :D

--LANMAN
If not quite mistaken, all the "3. April 1999"-dates is bogus, and is due to a screw-up one of the times they syncronized the "classic"-stats with the SETI/BOINC-stats, before the shutdown of "classic".

The initial importing of SETI@home-users was done 11.-12. May 2004, and if not mistaken all the accounts with screwed-up dates was generated after this date. On old accounts, the account-id is the same as the rank in "classic" on the initial stats-import, so with an id of 3M+ it's a further indication this account wasn't present before the initial stats-import.

Congrats on 83k+ "classic"-wu's. :cool:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider
Never did much on seti :)

But here is mine

Older and more memories

Atm I'm getting This page requires database access. Our database server is temporarily shut down for maintenance. Please try again later.

Doh!
I thought you did loads on S@H1?

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider
Never did much on seti :)

But here is mine

Older and more memories

Atm I'm getting This page requires database access. Our database server is temporarily shut down for maintenance. Please try again later.

Doh!
I thought you did loads on S@H1?

LOL only 10001 on classic :) But what great fun that was!!!!!

31,133 hours spread over a year or so