8 pin PCI converter to 6 pin PCI

mhouck

Dec 31, 2007
First post in PSU forum-

I have a 750w CM Real Power Pro PSU. It has 2x 8 pci and 2x 6 pci connectors. I am my current GPU requires 2x6 pin and I am thinking of adding a 2nd GPU for crossfire.

My problem is that I have only the 2x6 pins currently connected to the existing GPU and 2x8 pins leftover doing nothing that can not be connected to the card. I am hoping that there is an adapter that allows conversion of an 8 pin to a 6 pin or an 8 pin to 2x6pin and this would clear up the problem. Any ideas if this type of adapter exists and if so who carries it?

I've done a few searches but I only come up w/ 6 pin to 8 pin adapters and not the other way around.

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
EVGA sells them here. When I was poking around apparently some power supplies bundle this adapter as an accessory.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
my PSU has 4 8 pin connectors and my 4890 needs 2 6 pin and it works fine, i thought all the 8 pin PCI-e connectors had the 2 extra pins not attached so they could be used on 6 pin plugs if needed?

mhouck

Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the link Dualsmp. I never would have thought to look at EVGA's site for that.

To rifterut- Unfortunately my connectors are 8 pin instead of the 6 +2 pin connections.

I have to get into my case and play with the 8 pin to see if it would fit over w/out the hacksaw mod.

Thanks guys you saved my constantly upgrading butt!:evil: