8 pin and 4 pin MB cpu power connectors

OrgChem

Dec 22, 2008
Hi All,

I'm not sure what to attach to my auxiliary CPU power connectors. I have an 8 pin and a 4 pin CPU connector on my ASRock X99 Professional MB. Currently I have a cable to the 8 pin CPU connector (and the 24 pin cable) attached. Do I also need to connect an additional cable to the 4 pin connector as well? If so what do I gain from this? Currently the pc seems to be functioning okay without it except when the pc comes out of hibernation where it freezes up. For my boot drive I have the Samsung m.2 XP941 SSD. Thanks

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
It says it's for additional power to the board... I'd connect it if your PSU has it.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
According to the manual, it says that the 4-pin connector is for "additional power to the motherboard". As mentioned above, if you have an extra 4-pin CPU connector, then you can connect it (I guess). Otherwise, you should be just fine with only the 8-pin.

Your issue with the PC freezing up out of hibernation may be a video driver issue. If you're using an AMD card, installing the latest Omega drivers may fix it. Otherwise it may be something with the BIOS. But it's probably not related to the power connector.

mikemcc

Oct 6, 2005
I also have an ASRock X99 board but it is the Extreme 4. Don't know if the OP's is similar, but if this is just a normal molex connector, you only have to use it if you are going to use more than one GPU in CF or SLI. That's what's in the manual, anyway.

Feb 25, 2011
I've never had a motherboard with both a 4 pin and an 8 pin.

I've had boards with an 8 pin that worked fine when you plugged the PSU 4-pin into it.

PhIlLy ChEeSe

Apr 1, 2013
I have an Asus X79 Extreme it has the 4 pin and 8 pin, the 4 pin is for overclocking to give extra power to the CPU socket