8 pin 12V on my motherboard

LIVAN

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2000
Hi, I know there are lots of a smart system builders here so please help me out.

I am building a new system, my Motherbaord has a 8 pin 12V in additional to the main 24 pin .

Here is the issue, my power supply only has a 4 pin 12v and a 24 pin.

I have seen conversion cables like

http://www.xpcgear.com/cable48.html

Should I do that or should I just plug in the 4 pin into the 8pin slot.(it fits on one side)

I have heard some motherboards come with 4 of the pins covered on the 8 pin so using the 8 pin is optional. Mine didn't come with a cover but the manaul did say remove the cover if using a 8 pin.

What should I do here?

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: Flipped Gazelle
Just plug in the 4 pin connector.

:thumbsup:

Works just fine on my Phenom II 710 and my ASRock mobo using just the 4 pin plug.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I am also using just a 4pin in my 8pin mobo, however i cant OC very much so i ordered a cable like the one in your link and am hopeing it will help me get a better OC. Will advise next week when it arrives.

Aluvus

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2006
Often you will be fine just using the 4-pin connector. You haven't identified the power supply, motherboard, or processor that you have, so it is impossible to determine whether you would be OK.

The adapters are a waste of money unless your motherboard is doing something silly.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
just plug in the 4 pin, did that for 2 years w/ no problem until i upgraded my mobo

LIVAN

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2000
I googled and some say using the 4 pin in the 8pin can cause the 4 pin to melt, things not booting etc. Didn't sound right so thanks for clearing it up! But the 8 pin WILL DELIVER MORE POWER than the 4 pin correct?

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
What CPU are you using? Power hungry CPUs will need the 8 pin EPS.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
it's not an issue of needing another connector, its an issue of supplying enough amps without burning out the wire on which it's being supplied. most power supplies today shouldnt have any issues like this, but some cheaper ones i have seen use a different gauge wire (smaller) than what's standard and i have seen them returned because someone pulled to many amps down one of the sets of wires at once. so long as your PSU can supply enough amps to power your CPU, it probably wont have this issue. friend of mine used a 4 pin power connector with his q6600 for a year without any trouble relating to power. sure, he didnt get a very high overclock, but that was mainly related to his motherboard sucking for OCing