Far Cry $2.49 75% off
Far Cry 2 $4.99 75% off
Far Cry Complete $7.49 75% off

FC1 :thumbsup:
FC2 :thumbsdown:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
For that kind of money both are a great deal. FC2 is far from perfect but can be fun sometimes.
I would wanna use cheat codes or trainers to remove some of the annoyances, but the base game play is set up around running or driving around a huge land without much diversity.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Far Cry 2 is fun in short bursts. I find myself longing to explore my way through the jungle and take out military outposts while enjoying the scenery and shooting people. I'll get tired of it quickly, since the missions and enemies are so repetitive, so I'll quit... then the next day I'll want to play it again. This tends to repeat itself very often. As a result I have ~20 hours in the game so far, despite it being a mediocre game.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
If you missed them, grab 'em.

I personally didn't get into FC2, but it's probably worth getting the complete pack for that price.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I know I'm in the minority, but I loved FarCry 2.

They had some great ideas, and yes - it was very repetitive in spots, but I love that whole open-world feel.

Above-average AI as well. How many games does the enemy AI actually drag their wounded to safety, or hide behind cover after being shot?

Kind of fun to take advantage of the situation.......wound some guy by a gas tank - - wait till a friend comes to help him out.....SHOOT GAS TANK. Fun. :awe:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I know I'm in the minority, but I loved FarCry 2.

They had some great ideas, and yes - it was very repetitive in spots, but I love that whole open-world feel.

Above-average AI as well. How many games does the enemy AI actually drag their wounded to safety, or hide behind cover after being shot?

Kind of fun to take advantage of the situation.......wound some guy by a gas tank - - wait till a friend comes to help him out.....SHOOT GAS TANK. Fun. :awe:

I agree, at least on my first Play-Through.

ramj70

Aug 24, 2004
Under Far Cry under the requirements section it states that it only runs under Windows XP/2000. Has anyone got it to run under W7?

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Under Far Cry under the requirements section it states that it only runs under Windows XP/2000. Has anyone got it to run under W7?

I have Windows 7 64-bit and it works fine. Looks a bit dated by today's standards but I remember being totally floored when I first played it in 2004.

The game itself, though, is a bit ridiculous. Running and gunning is suicide, but sneaking is suicide too since enemies detect you so easily. Although that could be a result of your character wearing a bright red Hawaiian shirt :D.

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Far Cry 2 was horrible. An H&K G3 takes multiple center mass hits to kill someone? My ass. And then the fuckers just respawn 3 minutes later.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
well that is because Vista and 7 were not out yet. games coming out today are not going to say Windows 8 is supported. but yes it works just fine on Vista and 7.

Aug 11, 2008
Bought Far Cry 2. Figured for 5.00, what is there to lose.
Sure am getting quite a backlog of old games on steam though.

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
Tried FC2 when it first came out. After about the 5th time clearing out a checkpoint on a way to a mission and then getting Swiss cheesed on the way back after completing said mission, I started using a trainer. Then the trainer stopped working half way through the game and I said F it and never picked it up again. I thought the story was solid enough and the engine was awesome, but just couldn't bring myself to finish it the real way.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
MY biggest gripe with Far Cry 2 was that I didn't realise that I could press.. I think it was f2 or something and go from the drivers seat to the mounted gun. So every time I came across a merc I would have to stop the car, run around back and jump into the mounted gun. Very monotonous.

I played up to about 50%, where you switch to a new map and then got kind of bored because it was like starting over again.

Far Cry 1 on the other hand I played through over 5 times including once on the very hardest difficulty level, that time it took me about 45 hours. Just a great game but I did try to play again just a month ago and couldn't get into it anymore. It seemed so empty, I think Bad Company 2 raised the bar on video games, makes far cry look boring.

ramj70

Aug 24, 2004
well that is because Vista and 7 were not out yet. games coming out today are not going to say Windows 8 is supported. but yes it works just fine on Vista and 7.

With steam though that is not always true. Half life 2 which came out before W7 says it runs on W7 under the requirements. Far Cry is the only game I have seen so far that specifically says XP ONLY. That is why I asked. Either way I am downloading it now, hopefully it works :biggrin:

update: Downloaded the game and it works :) Good deal for $2.49

Last edited:

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I bought Far Cry 2, and I gotta say that for $5 it is worth it.

Cons: (please note I am playing on hardcore)

1)Too much driving around for an FPS. Sure there are "bus stops" that will instantly transport you to various locations, but the bus will only transport you to a location nearby, it will never get you directly where you need to go unless the mission spot coincides with the bus stop location. On average you will still spend 5-10min in RL time driving from the buss stop to wherever you need to go.

2)The world and the items in it are not really interactive. You can only do stuff with the items you were meant to do stuff with. I know it's the case for many games, but I see an increasing amount of games where you can destroy or push around things that seem to be completely unrelated to the core game. Far Cry 2 is NOT one of those. For example, I hacked a live chicken with a machete, and it just fell over like a dull piece of plastic without making any sound or with any visible damage to the model. No blood, no feathers flying around, NOTHING!

I started shooting bags of rice and they just stood there like bricks, not moving even a bit.

The same goes for just about everything in the game world aside from vegetation, which breaks apart nicely when shot with a machine gun, cars and gas barrels that explode just fine.

3)Weapons damage is very "suspect" in this game. You can spend a whole day shooting a soldier with a car mounted machine gun, and he will not take any damage! But as soon as you get off the gun and shoot him with your assault rifle he will die... But not always! Sometimes, a lucky shot to the head will drop a guy right away, but most times, I have to pump a whole clip into an enemy to get him to stay down.

4)I keep getting the feeling that the devs were very lazy and just recycled a bunch of stuff from original Far Cry, forgetting that that game, although great, is outdated! The vehicle and the driving feels like it is ripped directly from Far Cry. All being said, the original Far Cry was a much better game in many ways.

Pros:

1)Absolutely beautiful game world. I have everything on ultra high, and the game looks gorgeous. Maybe not as good as Crysis, but personally I chose to boycott Crysis back when it came out, because it essentially forced people to buy new systems and expensive gfx cards, and I dont like to be forced to do anything. Also, it's overpriced, even today after all these years.

2)Huge variety of weapons, upgrades, mods, etc. It is all very cool, addictive and interesting. More games should have a system like this.

3)For $5, it's a fun, sandboxy game where you can experiment shooting a very large amount of enemies with a very large amount of weaponry.

Not really a pro or a con, but I want to note that it is a real shame that Far Cry devs are working on a new /revamping the engine, instead of just reusing the old one. There is nothign wrong with Far Cry 2's gfx. They are absolutely gorgeous. The faces show a lot of detail! Why fix something when it isnt broken? Instead they should focus on improving the story and the gameplay. I hate how game devs constantly strive to improve graphics instead of focusing on the gameplay. For example, IMHO, Half Life 2's graphics are absolutely stunning, even today. They should make at least 5 more games using that engine, and I would gladly play them if they were good.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
With steam though that is not always true. Half life 2 which came out before W7 says it runs on W7 under the requirements. Far Cry is the only game I have seen so far that specifically says XP ONLY. That is why I asked. Either way I am downloading it now, hopefully it works :biggrin:

update: Downloaded the game and it works :) Good deal for $2.49
well Valve also went back and updated HL 2 to the newer Source engine. they own Steam so they are also more likely to go back add whatever new OS comes out to their own games.

and you are incorrectly reading into the "only" part of the Far Cry requirements. that was even on retail boxes when nothing newer than XP even existed yet. "only" in "Windows® 2000/XP (only)" simply means anything older than 2000 was not supported. ;)

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
Not really a pro or a con, but I want to note that it is a real shame that Far Cry devs are working on a new /revamping the engine, instead of just reusing the old one. There is nothign wrong with Far Cry 2's gfx. They are absolutely gorgeous. The faces show a lot of detail! Why fix something when it isnt broken? Instead they should focus on improving the story and the gameplay. I hate how game devs constantly strive to improve graphics instead of focusing on the gameplay. For example, IMHO, Half Life 2's graphics are absolutely stunning, even today. They should make at least 5 more games using that engine, and I would gladly play them if they were good.

They are re-using the same engine from Far Cry 2 as they did for Far Cry 2. Source

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just started playing this again today. Had to enter my Cdkey 2 times to get all the bonus items.