7th grader called racist for wearing Palin t-shirt

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Calling someone racist who isn't is not racist, it's inaccurate. Problem is those 12 year olds don't act any differently then the people with the Obama food stamps, Obama monkeys, Obama waffels, etc.

Problem is word has gotten out about the threats on Obamas life and the racially charged verbal assaults from various GOP organizations and individual knucleheads.

I don't have a problem with the girl wearing the shirt but the parents should have been more aware of the environment at school.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Did you not see that thread about the guy who owned a parking lot that posted no Obama supporter will be allowed to park?

Dont know if you remember, there was also quite a stir over Leatherman Tools Pres supporting Kerry.

Text :laugh:

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Well unless the student was wearing the shirt as a ploy to try to be exempt from science class, then I don't see the hub-bub.

But I do cringe when people use their children for any political purpose, whether it's the anti-choicers, the KKK, or some anti-war group - it's exploitation.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
I will say that there doesn't appear to be any evidence that the parents prompted this kid to wear the TShirt, or that they are being asshats.

"Jones is volunteering at the Republican Headquarters in New Smyrna Beach. "

"Jones' parents say they aren't mad at the school they just want everyone including their daughter to voice their opinion constructively."

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: alchemize
I will say that there doesn't appear to be any evidence that the parents prompted this kid to wear the TShirt, or that they are being asshats.

"Jones is volunteering at the Republican Headquarters in New Smyrna Beach. "

"Jones' parents say they aren't mad at the school they just want everyone including their daughter to voice their opinion constructively."

So you think this 12 year old girl just decided she wanted to donate her free time to the RNC? I think not.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Officials with Volusia County Schools said there were no referrals or complaints to the office about this incident.

I'm calling shens.

For the past two days we've had Watermelon Obama Food Stamps, Waterboard Barack Obama, Obama Terrorist Appeaser, OBAMA The Domestic Terrorist, ad nauseum ...

And the best the Contards can come up with is this ???

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
If McCain/Palin don't want themselves associated with racism, maybe they shouldn't allow it at their rallies.
Good idea... just place a sign that says 'No racist allowed'

I am sure that will scare them all away.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
If McCain/Palin don't want themselves associated with racism, maybe they shouldn't allow it at their rallies.

Well, when you pander to racists..what do you expect?

I don't know if McCain himself is racist, but he knowingly appeals to these people...Maybe he should make a clearer statement about not wanting those people at his rallies.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

I'm not sure she knows what racism is. She has never spoken out against it.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: 351Cleveland
For all the "racist" screeching aimed at the Republicans (which was predicted 2 years ago... race card gets played every chance it gets), there is as much bigotry on the left... and aimed at kids:

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/my...Y&pageId=3.14.1&sflg=1

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35, Orlando) -- She's only 12 years old but Ashleigh Jones is feeling the heat of this election year.

That?s because the seventh grader at New Smyrna Beach Middle School was called a racist by classmates for wearing a pro-Sarah Palin t-shirt.

Jones is volunteering at the Republican Headquarters in New Smyrna Beach. The Palin t-shirt was a gift from her fellow volunteers.

But when she wore it to school she learned just how tough politics can be.

?Some of the students were calling me racist because I was Caucasian,? she said. ?I wanted the Caucasian man to win. And I told them that?s not true. It?s my freedom of speech, it?s my opinion.?

Jones' parents say they aren't mad at the school they just want everyone including their daughter to voice their opinion constructively.

Officials with Volusia County Schools said there were no referrals or complaints to the office about this incident.

Ashleigh said that more of her friends are expressing their views by wearing political t-shirts and she plans to wear hers again.

Those liburl 12 year-lds are playin the race card agin!!11 Vote MCain!

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: 351Cleveland
For all the "racist" screeching aimed at the Republicans (which was predicted 2 years ago... race card gets played every chance it gets)
[/quote]

considering that the republicans electoral strategy over the last 40 years has been pretty heavily based on race (woohoo southern strategy) i would say the often enough 'playing the race card' is entirely legitimate.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: polarmystery
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Cool, parents using their child for political motives. I guess it's not just the Democrats.

Uhhh?

Side note: Nov 2 in that pic indicates that shirt was from the '04 elections. That shirt wouldn't be a very big seller today given the word "Republican" was only uttered 3 times at the RNC.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Not a racist, just an idiot.