7950 gx2 acceptable temperature

MoridinUK

Jun 7, 2011
Ok So I've had this card for several years now and it's always run on the warm side.

However, while torture testing the system (prime95 running with 3dmarks06) the graphics card hits 100 Degrees C and set off the alarms I set in realtemp. It idles at about 78 degrees. Even with the fans set to 100% (MSI afterburner).

Now I was wondering if that kind of temp is problem or not?

Any ideas?

And I know I should replace it but I'm trying to keep money low and I definately want to figure out whether there is another problem with the memory, psu or mainboard first!

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I would try to re-seat the heatsinks with some new TIM. There is a good chance after all these years that it has become quite dried up. Secondly I would hit it with a good blasting from an powerful air compressor.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Hello MoridinUK, and welcome to AnandTech Forums.

I would try to re-seat the heatsinks with some new TIM. There is a good chance after all these years that it has become quite dried up. Secondly I would hit it with a good blasting from an powerful air compressor.

You got it backwards. :colbert:

Step 1: Use compressed air (or canned air) to blow out all dust from both heatsinks/fans.

Step 2: In case step 1 doesn't give you desired results...

If there is an overheating problem with a computer part that uses a fan/heatsink for cooling which has been in operation for more than a few months, blowing out the dust should always be the first thing you try.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Hmm, I guess you could say that I got it backwards but, I was just merely jotting ideas. I think the order in which things should be done is blatantly obvious to anyone in a tech forum. Zap, please excuse my mistake ;)

MoridinUK

Jun 7, 2011
compressed air.. hmmm.. I'm often accused of being full of hto air but that ain't the same is it?

I'm gearing up to replace the Thermal paste, and I'll do what I can for the dust. It's just I can't find anything, not on Nvidia's site or on XFX force about the temperatures the gpus are built to run at or withstand. Of course lower is better, but I've read of some people running them at 115 degrees and so I'm wondering if I'm being over protective or not?

Anyway I'll get to blowing, dusting and re-pasting as soon as... I've always wanted to take the two cards apart! Now I get to play!

MoridinUK

Jun 7, 2011
Ok so I'm replacing the TIM and ARGHH problem...

I have some mx-3 with which to do this. Now all the memory chips have what look like pads or tape, connecting them to the heat sink. I'm unsure what to do about them, the gpu is fine to use the mx-3 on but if I remove these pads there will be a good 1-2 mm space between the memory chips and the heat sink. I could jus tput enough mx-3 in to fill the gap but I thought the mx stuff needed to be under pressure to work.

Currently I'm planning on leaving the pads well enough alone but any advice would be grand.

:)

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
leave the pads on the memory. If you are really bored look for some new ones to buy and replace them but they should be ok