7900GT artifacts, replacement with gt620?

ShadowReaper

Jul 8, 2012
Hello,

I have an old nvidia 7900gt 512mb and it started showing artifacts. I am thinking of replacing it with a new low-end nvidia gt620. I have researched about gt620 and they say that has poor performance.

I want to ask if the performance will be better than my old 7900gt card. I don't want a high-end card because of the cap of the rest system(Athlon X2 4800 dual core, 2gb ram)

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
It's probably faster but reviews are right, it has poor performance for the price.

HD6670 pisses all over it. HD7750 would be even better. Depends on what games you play if your cpu will actually bottleneck.

Wait, I'm talking about GT640. GT620 is just a rebrand of GT520 afaik and probably even slower than 7900GT (wouldn't know for sure, you don't find these 2 in benchmarks much nowadays)

Last edited:

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
The 7900 GT has a much higher fill rate and faster memory interface. I would get a radeon 6670.

Last edited:

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
I had 2 7950GTs in SLI. I still have them. They were wickedly fast for the time.

Get a used GTX 460 1GB. I have 2 of them in SLI and, wow, are they fast for the price!

Sorry, scratch the GTX 460 1GB. You're CPU is way to slow for 1 of those.

Get the Radeon 6670 or the 7750.

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
a gt620 is just a rebadged gt430. it would certainly be a little faster than your 7900gt if all you want is about the same performance.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
U r getting that from newegg?I wouldn't place much credence into their feedback

Feb 25, 2011
has horrible feedback ?

Feedback from people who didn't like how big the card's cooler was.

Fair enough - no reason to have a massive mess of a cooler like that on a card that low-powered.

But the card itself is probably fine if your case will hold it. (It would actually be pretty easy on the PSU. Doesn't pull a lot of watts.)

OP: I had to give up my 7900GS a couple years ago when it started throwing up artifacts. I replaced it with a GTS 250, which was hot, loud, and annoying. I'm using a 7750 now. It's everything the GTS 250 wasn't, plus it's faster. You'll love it.

Also, it's passively cooled like a boss.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161417

Quiet is beautiful.

Alternatively, like DominionSeraph mentioned, if you're willing to buy used, yeah, any old used card will do. 8600/9600 or better will match or beat the 7900. Personally, I wouldn't want to buy a used GPU. People tend to do horrible, horrible, warranty-voiding things to them.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Alternatively, like DominionSeraph mentioned, if you're willing to buy used, yeah, any old used card will do. 8600/9600 or better will match or beat the 7900.

8600GT would be a slight downgrade, while the 9600GT is around twice as powerful. So there's quite the range between those two.
I would not get an 8600GT when 9600GT's are available for so little. I think the 8600GT's also had that solder issue, too.

Radeon 7750 is massive overkill. Don't need one for silence: my Asus 9600GT's fan is inaudible even with my case open, and the fan never spins above 35%. It's only a 96W chip.

Personally, I wouldn't want to buy a used GPU. People tend to do horrible, horrible, warranty-voiding things to them.

It's one of the better components to buy used. It's CPU's that are the issue since newbies always crank the voltage to ridiculous levels to get that max overclock out of them. With GPU's the voltage often can't be changed outside a custom BIOS. I think GPU overclocking as a whole is rarer as well.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
I think the 8600GT's also had that solder issue, too.

Oh yeah. Memories.... :whiste:

I think GPU overclocking as a whole is rarer as well.

Just reading threads around here, doesn't seem like that's the case. But yeah, good call on the voltage issue.

I was actually thinking aftermarket coolers, water blocks, etc. And baking.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
It's one of the better components to buy used. It's CPU's that are the issue since newbies always crank the voltage to ridiculous levels to get that max overclock out of them. With GPU's the voltage often can't be changed outside a custom BIOS. I think GPU overclocking as a whole is rarer as well.
I have yet to have a used CPU fail on me. Whereas, I have bought tons of used GPUs that are dead now... Go figure :p

ShadowReaper,

I'd wait a bit, and then get a Geforce 650 or 660. That would be an adequate upgrade, one that will last you another 3-6 years. AMD cards, whilst technically are superbly crafted, on the software front are lagging a bit. I am sure, long-term... this might turn out to be a major con for you.

P.S. Geforce 620 is a rebranded 520. You really want to wait and get the much better Kepler series. If you 'must' buy today, get 640.

Last edited:

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011

And I wouldn't blithly dismiss their feedback since the (too) big heatsink looks undersupported which was one complaint in the feedback. And newegg feedback is one of the better ones to look at because they don't censor reviews and many are owners of the said components.

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012

i also read some reviews from anandtech and it said it is a great silent card but its bad for gaming. They said when they ran 3DMark11 it would freeze and crash and when gaming the computer would shutdown due to the card overheating quickly ?

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
I have yet to have a used CPU fail on me. Whereas, I have bought tons of used GPUs that are dead now... Go figure

ShadowReaper,

I'd wait a bit, and then get a Geforce 650 or 660. That would be an adequate upgrade, one that will last you another 3-6 years. AMD cards, whilst technically are superbly crafted, on the software front are lagging a bit. I am sure, long-term... this might turn out to be a major con for you.

P.S. Geforce 620 is a rebranded 520. You really want to wait and get the much better Kepler series. If you 'must' buy today, get 640.

Lets wait for the reviews first. But why recommend the GT640? It's often slower than HD6670 but costs as much as a HD7750 (which is way faster and even uses less power). And it would be nice to see that AMD-drivers-are-no-good crap go away, they're just fine as long as you don't use Crossfire (and even then they're not that bad).

wow. this card for 20$ is what you need. how can you freakn go wrong:

20$ next to nothing and it would be faster than what you have for sure

At first look it's a good deal yes, but keep in mind much higher powerdraw/noise and the fact it could die any moment due to bad solder.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
At first look it's a good deal yes, but keep in mind much higher powerdraw/noise and the fact it could die any moment due to bad solder.

if it hasnt died already from bad solder then i doubt it will. Its 20$ and right up his alley.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009

9600GT does not have high power draw, nor have I heard that it had the solder issues of the 8800/9800. (Perhaps due to the fact that the thing just doesn't get hot)

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
i also read some reviews from anandtech and it said it is a great silent card but its bad for gaming. They said when they ran 3DMark11 it would freeze and crash and when gaming the computer would shutdown due to the card overheating quickly ?
I didn't know AT review it but it would probably be the problem of the heavy heatsink 'peeling off' from the gpu (too heavy and undersupported). More confirmation that its a terrible design without a backplate for something so big and clunky.