7850 Can't unlock past 1050 / Temperature issue

Blitz1776

Jun 18, 2010
So I just got me a 7850 Crossfire setup, and everything went pretty well except for the fact one of the cards can't overclock past 1050 mhz. Currently I'm overclocked at 1050 on Core & 1450 on memory (because I couldn't bump the core)

One is the XFX Double D (it's got an ASIC of like 79) it can overclock past 1050
the other is the XFX core edition (89 ASIC) can't seem to, which is a shame.

I've tried Using Afterburner, GPU Tweak, & Trixx. Any besides afterburner have odd issues or just plain crash, sometimes on loadup. I've already gone through the process of fresh install of drivers, and reinstalling the programs. So just wondering if there's anything I could do really was hoping for 1150-1200 for core if possible :p

In terms of the temperature issues the Double D was installed in the primary spot since it gets less airflow and it idles at like 50-55C while playing on BF3 it maxes at about 77 (the fans never seem to go past 50% really). On Furmark it maxes at 87C.

The Core Edition idles at like 30-40 and at furmark load stays at like 65C. The cable management is pretty good as far as the case goes, but it is airflow limited a bit, but I feel that's a pretty drastic difference between the two.

Hopefully there's a resolution for the Overclock issue, and that the temperature isn't a big deal at least until the system was pushed further. Any help would be grand.

Feb 19, 2009
From reading around when i was researching which 7850 to buy, the DD is rubbish, the cooler is the worse out of the lot, prollly worse when it comes to OC than the reference.

I think its because they have no sinks on the VRM AND the fans airflow doesn't penetrate towards it so they become very hot.

Blitz1776

Jun 18, 2010
Well I've helped the temperature problems quite a bit by swapping the video cards around, so now in they both idle at 45-50C, but now in furmark the top card maxes out at 82 celsius and the bottom is at 75, so I would say overall that it is an improvement. Still don't have any solution for getting past the 1050 mhz barrier ;/

MisterMac

Sep 16, 2011
Unless you get artefacts - your chip just can't make it.
Atleast that's how i understood it.

If your drivers crash = chip limit found.
If artefacts occur - add more voltage\cooling.

Either way you should test them both single, see what they well do and "work down" from there.

Blitz1776

Jun 18, 2010
That isn't the problem I'm running into, what is happening is one card has slider options that let me go all the way up to 1400 mhz for the core clock, the other will not let me go past 1050 mhz. I've tried alternate programs and none seem to unlock it and all but CCC or Afterburner seem to be glitchy. Currently I have it cranked to 1050 mhz and 1450 memory no problem, and only thing stopping any further adjustment is I ran out of notches.