780 to 1080

zigzag03

Dec 14, 2001
I pulled out my 2 780s (sli) and installed my new 1080, and get only a blank screen, and incomplete boot, or I assume so because just a simple touch of the power button shuts it down, no holding the button for 6 seconds. Stick one of the 780s back in, and it comes right up. Although I downloaded the 1080 driver, I can't do anything with the install because it can't find a 1080. Can anyone offer me some advice on where I'm going wrong? Thanks! zz03

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
I pulled out my 2 780s (sli) and installed my new 1080, and get only a blank screen, and incomplete boot, or I assume so because just a simple touch of the power button shuts it down, no holding the button for 6 seconds. Stick one of the 780s back in, and it comes right up. Although I downloaded the 1080 driver, I can't do anything with the install because it can't find a 1080. Can anyone offer me some advice on where I'm going wrong? Thanks! zz03
Do you have another PC to test the 1080? I recently (last week) went from 780s to 1080s and had some issues as well where it was not recognizing the 2nd 1080 and was not recognizing the native resolution of my monitors. I had to uninstall all the Nvidia drivers and reinstall and then everything worked.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

zigzag03

Dec 14, 2001
I don't know, but perhaps not. Unfortunately while the cover was off the side, and judging by the smell, the cat must have come along and sprayed the inside of the machine, and now the whole damn thing is dead! Film at 11.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I don't know, but perhaps not. Unfortunately while the cover was off the side, and judging by the smell, the cat must have come along and sprayed the inside of the machine, and now the whole damn thing is dead! Film at 11.

Ughhh, that's both disgusting and sad at the same time. Sorry to hear that!

zigzag03

Dec 14, 2001
Yes I know. I forgive my many animals many things, but this one... well what am I gonna do.

Now I have more problems to solve. I clearly have a damaged 780, but it appears as if it might be confined to the cooler. So I need to find one that will bolt on, don't really care if it's the original 3 fan PNY solution that was there.

I have read forum rules, and since I no longer see a For Sale/Wanted forum, I'm not sure how to go about this, but it seems to me there must be folks out there who have water cooled their 780s and have air coolers sitting around. Just not sure how to connect without violating the rules. Would appreciate the advice of a moderator.

Beyond that, I'm still not sure the status of mobo and power supply, and need to get time to investigate further.
and of course I still need to test the 1080. And so one problem becomes three of four, in just a couple of hours, amazing!

zigzag03

Dec 14, 2001
Regarding the 1080, let me back up a little. The machine I intended this card for I just put together: 6700k, Asus ROG mATX, 16 gig of properly matched DDR4. Fired it up with the 1080 in the slot, got no video and no post. Pulled it and used motherboard video, same problem, so I was trying to troubleshoot that machine as well. I got the 1080 off ebay, and so wanted to test it and know, which led me to the sad tale related above. I would think that a Z170 mobo would be able to work with the 1080 without messing with bios updates, but hey what do I know... Anyway I bricked a perfectly nice 200+ FPS iRacing machine trying to verify the 1080. Beyond frustrating.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Yes I know. I forgive my many animals many things, but this one... well what am I gonna do.!

That doesn't seem like a question to me; but I'll tell you what to do. Kill the cat. Or throw it out in the yard. It will then become an out-door cat. Or a dead cat if you choose option #1.