78 percent of U.S. Hispanics favor Obama over McCain

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
McCain could have had a good shot of making it a 50-50 split with Latino voters had he not reversed himself on immigration.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Originally posted by: techs
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/200...olitics_poll_hispanics

The Univision/Reuters/Zogby poll released on Tuesday said that 78 percent of a sample of 1,016 Latino likely voters favored Sen. Obama, with 13 percent supporting McCain, an Arizona senator

With hispanics the fastet growing ethnic group this is way bad news for the future of the Republican party. The numbers are so outstandingly in favor of the Democrats that unless some huge new issue comes up that has an overriding effect on hispanic voters, the Democratic base is going grow at a fast clip.

I think this election, with its veiled Republican racism, and overt in some cases right wing racism, has hispanics thinking the Republican party is the party of racism. It is very difficult for a political party to overcome this type of belief.

In fact when you look at the strong Democratic lean of the youth of America which is putting far more Democrats into the election pool every year, coupled with the far more Democratic hispanics entering the voter rolls each year, this could the Republicans last chance for the Presidency or Congress for awhile.

A two term Democratic President would basically leave office with a whole new generation added to voter rolls. And these would be overwhelmingly Democratic.

I'm quite sure this 78% came from those who are illegally here and are still prospecting the DEMS to give them amnesty! No surprise here!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Not me. I can't wait till I get to contribute more. I don't give to the church so it's government charity for me. Plus, I get to see some of the results. I am a wave that lifts all boats. I have endless bounty.
There are plenty of non-church charities that you can give to - you don't have to rely on the government to mandate charity before you do it, even if you're not religious.

I like big projects that charities could never handle, like energy independence.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Based on exit polls on CNN of about 17,000 respondents:

95% of Black Men and 96% of Black Woman voted for Obama, while 41% of White Men and 46% of White Women voted for Obama.

Take that racism! ;)

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
From what ABC was reporting on television, the break down sounded something like this:
Obama and McCain fairly evenly split white and hispanic voters, with an edge to both toward Obama.
Obama took nearly all black voters.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I like big projects that charities could never handle, like energy independence.
Which is ironic, since most of the major strides in that area are being made with private funding at this point.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I wouldn't blame this on either Bush nor McCain, and especially not McCain. Both of them tried very hard to bring Hispanics into the GOP, in many ways it is a natural fit for them.

The failure is due to the rabid effort to seal the borders led by the GOP a couple years back. Both Bush and McCain tried to come up with reasonable, even moderate solutions to the so-called immigration problem and were roundly rejected by the vast majority of their party. The GOP has burned it's bridges to the Hispanic community.

From what I've been seeing even the Cuban-American community (except for the very oldest) is backing away from the GOP big time now. The GOP or it's allies were running robocalls into Cuban American communities on election day, claiming that Fidel Castro had formally endorsed Obama. This caused a strong reaction-Cuban American DJ's were on the radio immediately pointing out the statements were false.

The GOP is working on narrowing itself down to a fringe party based upon fundamentalist Christian beliefs. Economic conservativism is optional, for lip service only.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence
In fact when you look at the strong Democratic lean of the youth of America which is putting far more Democrats into the election pool every year..

I don't know about that. The youth of the country have always been strongly Democrat. It's once they get real jobs, start making money and want to keep it that they start voting Republican.

My Mom's gonna be 94 on inauguration day (DOB = 1/20/1915). She votes Dem, always. Her husband (my father) was a Rep. Not all elderly drift into the Republican stream.

I'm glad the hispanics came to their senses. I suspected they would.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Because they think Obama is going to pay thier gas and mortgage :laugh:

Everyone is lining up for a handout today.

It was McC who proposed buying up all the bad mortgages, not Obama. Obama's proposal is to push for a 3 month moratorium on foreclosures.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I think that the idea that Bush has put the nail in the coffin of republicans is not entirely hyperbole. There is such an upsurge now against republicans and as mentioned the demographics of this nation are changing fast. If you want to win, you don't get on the losing side of that. Unless obama is an utter disaster, the republicans are going to have a hell of a time in 2012, very possibly.

Yup, and that Oregon candidate (was it WA?) who called himself GOP instead of Republican lost anyway, although stats showed that his dodging his Republican status was helping him. The GOP took a shot to the kidneys yesterday. They have not a single house seat in New England! I'm wondering if they will be able to regenerate.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I agree that this is the death of the republican party. I am Non committed but usually vote republican . I didn't vote in the Federal or state this year only local and thats All I will ever vote.

I found it rather interesting and I loved hereing the words. But Blacks and Hispanics combined make Whites the minority and the majority of those are Dems. Yep the republican party is likely threw. But so is the white man . Welcome to the real world.
Now we count all the votes. A good thing.

I am interested in what the Black man is going to do with native americans. I mean If anyone suffered in AMERICA it was the indian . The Blacks got what they want. NOW lets see how they really are. I exspect OBAMA to do the AMERICAN INDIAN RIGHT! IF not you guys are building your little agendas around a lie. UNTIL the NATIVE AMERICAN is Compensated in a hugh way. ITs A lie and anyone who denies this is lying to self.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Originally posted by: gevorg

95% of Black Men and 96% of Black Woman voted for Obama, while 41% of White Men and 46% of White Women voted for Obama.

Take that racism! ;)

So what are you saying here. That this proves that whites aren't racist like anymore.

Unlike you . I see racism in those numbers. But not by whites. You need a reality check here. THE BLACKS voted by RACE. So did hispanics. SO racism is strong and doing well in America. The only differance is whites are the minority now .

And its shows in your graph who voted along race lines. But in reality nothing changed because the race that showed racism in there vote is the new president so nothing has changed other than it will be along long time befor we see another White Pres. Minority white race lost the power . As they become even smaller number per population. Because of birth rates in the black and hispanic families are much higher than white families. The White eyes who speak with forked tongue . Are getting what they so richly deserve.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Originally posted by: gevorg

Take that racism! ;)

So what are you saying here. That this proves that whites aren't racist like anymore.

Unlike you . I see racism in those numbers. But not by whites. You need a reality check here. THE BLACKS voted by RACE. So did hispanics. SO racism is strong and doing well in America. The only differance is whites are the minority now .

And its shows in your graph who voted along race lines. But in reality nothing changed because the race that showed racism in there vote is the new president so nothing has changed other than it will be along long time befor we see another White Pres. Minority white race lost the power . As they become even smaller number per population. Because of birth rates in the black and hispanic families are much higher than white families. The White eyes who speak with forked tongue . Are getting what they so richly deserve.

Kerry got 90% of the Black vote. Democrats always do in presidential elections. What you have is a party that ignored and demonized minorities for decades, and drove them completely away. Then you have a party that not only embraced those people/issues, they nominated a Black man to be president.

But if it makes you feel better to call the difference in party platforms, "racism", have fun.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
Originally posted by: ThePresence
In fact when you look at the strong Democratic lean of the youth of America which is putting far more Democrats into the election pool every year..

I don't know about that. The youth of the country have always been strongly Democrat. It's once they get real jobs, start making money and want to keep it that they start voting Republican.

Thats funny because it went the other way for me as I grew older, richer and more mellow. I'm no longer the 'angry young man' and realize I live in the midst of society.

Some people only care about their money. Some actually care about more important things like humanity as a whole.

I am in the top 1% of wealth in the country.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
Which is ironic, since most of the major strides in that area are being made with private funding at this point.

Ignorance is bliss... who made sure the electric car went away 10 years ago?

Government is needed when greedy corporations only care about profit/the bottom line than humanity/Americans.

Where are the charities to make sure people with pre-existing conditions can get health coverage?