waldoh

Mar 3, 2013
So I have finished my build of my first SFF case. I am using the ncase m1.

I have a 7700k that has been delidded running at stock clocks/boost. During gaming it boosts to 4.5 @ 1.2v 57-60c (after a 4 hour session). I am using a Noctua d9l dual fan configuration to cool it.

Are these temps ok? do I have any room to overclock? or should I install an AIO?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
You're OK as long as your hottest core under load is under 85C. Under 80C if you want to play it really safe.

You can overclock if you want but surely there is no need. You're almost certainly GPU-limited anyway unless you're aiming for something like 120+ fps in CPU-heavy games on 1080p. I'd rather try to undervolt the CPU a little and make the CPU fan profile as quiet as possible.

If the 57-60C is CPU temperature as reported by the motherboard, then actual core temperatures are probably about 10C higher. Check with HWinfo64 (in sensors only mode).

waldoh

Mar 3, 2013
You're OK as long as your hottest core under load is under 85C. Under 80C if you want to play it really safe.

You can overclock if you want but surely there is no need. You're almost certainly GPU-limited anyway unless you're aiming for something like 120+ fps in CPU-heavy games on 1080p. I'd rather try to undervolt the CPU a little and make the CPU fan profile as quiet as possible.

If the 57-60C is CPU temperature as reported by the motherboard, then actual core temperatures are probably about 10C higher. Check with HWinfo64 (in sensors only mode).

Thanks, I will check HWinfo64.

waldoh

Mar 3, 2013

Checked HWinfo64 and yes the core temps are about 10C higher.

I think I am just going to install an AIO and ignore the RGB factor (as it blocks the view for my case) for better temps and potentially higher OC.

So I am aiming for 85C core or the temp reported by the motherboard? Also this 85c is only for synthetic stress testing, not gaming right?

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
I think I am just going to install an AIO and ignore the RGB factor (as it blocks the view for my case) for better temps and potentially higher OC.
The Ncase M1 is built to be as small as possible, not to be seen into. If that bothers you, stick a couple of RGB strips on the bottom of the case.

Although exceeding 85C core temps in synthetics can be considered "not unsafe" (as synthetics stress your CPU more than real-world workloads and as such you likely won't go as high during normal usage), I'd aim to stay beneath those kinds of temps at all times. If you're still unhappy with your OC results, delid your CPU.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
So I am aiming for 85C core or the temp reported by the motherboard? Also this 85c is only for synthetic stress testing, not gaming right?
85C max core temp. For the hottest core. In synthetic tests. This way you'll know that under the heaviest loads, your CPU is still not overheating, and you can game and do whatever else without worrying about temps.