7700k - HOT Temps - Please help

ryan06emu

Jul 12, 2011
Hello. I have been having issues with my 7700k processor temperatures and I am concerned that the processor is going to overheat. I am running stock frequencies with no overclock. The screen capture is from today with fans running max RPM while watching a YouTube video in Chrome. I have a Corsair H100i v2 cooling the cpu on an MSI Gaming M7 Z270 mobo with the latest BIOS and chipset drivers. Please help.

k42dFA

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Your CPU cooling is not doing anything, imo.

It's either not attached properly, or not working.

Your CPU is thermal throttling, so it will be okay.

Check over your cooler installation and operation.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Did you remember to plug in the pump, and DISABLE "Smart Fan" for the header that the pump is plugged into? Otherwise, if the BIOS tries to "Temp control" that "fan" (Really, pump), then it might not get enough voltage to run properly.

ryan06emu

Jul 12, 2011
Is it possible to determine if the cooler and or fluid is working within software (Windows or BIOS)? The fans on the radiator are working

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, assuming that the pump is wired to a fan port on the mobo, or wired directly to the PSU, but with an RPM-monitoring wire connected to a mobo fan port, then you should be able to monitor the RPMs of the pump, with something like HWMonitor (free).

I can do that with this ASRock AB350M Pro4 board, and my MasterLiquid Lite 120mm AIO unit. I can monitor the fan-speed of the radiator fan, and the speed of the pump.

Edit: HWMonitor can show CPU load, voltages, and temps, etc, too.

ryan06emu

Jul 12, 2011
right. I do not see it on HW Monitor so the cooler must not be wired directly to the PSU

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
right. I do not see it on HW Monitor so the cooler must not be wired directly to the PSU
I think that you have that partially backwards. If it's not wired directly to the PSU (the pump), then it should be wired directly to a mobo fan header, and in that case, it SHOULD show up in HWMonitor.

If you don't have it wired directly to a PSU lead (SATA power or the like), and you don't see it in HWMonitor (meaning, it was wired to a fan header), then maybe it's not wired up at all (or properly), and that's why you're having overheating issues with it.

Maybe read the manual?

Edit: It won't be labeled by name in HWMonitor, it will just show up under "Fans", as Fan0, Fan1, etc. You have to look up in the manual or on the board's silk-screen as to which fan port you have your pump plugged into, assuming that it is plugged into a fan port.

Last edited: