756*

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Why don't people go all bonkers over, let's say, the offensive linemen in the NFL who is using steroids? It is because they have no real stats to tarnish? It goes without saying that there is steroid use in other sports as well. Why are only baseball players held up under such scrutiny? Why is the guy who uses steroids to bulk himself to prevent that 390 pound guy in front of him from crushing his QB any different than the guy who uses them to hit a ball farther?

mrizvi66

Dec 16, 2005
if your going to put a * on the HR record then you have to put an * on all records set in the last 15 years of the so called Steroid Era...

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I know I'm not a sports fan but I have a very, very hard time caring about all this steroid nonsense. Obviously the fans will care, but it needs to stop there. It's just a game. We don't need Congressional hearings and subpoenaed testimony.

And to fit in with this thread yes Bonds sounds like an asshole, and probably took steroids.

BFD.

Viper GTS

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Why don't people go all bonkers over, let's say, the offensive linemen in the NFL who is using steroids? It is because they have no real stats to tarnish? It goes without saying that there is steroid use in other sports as well. Why are only baseball players held up under such scrutiny? Why is the guy who uses steroids to bulk himself to prevent that 390 pound guy in front of him from crushing his QB any different than the guy who uses them to hit a ball farther?

Baseball holds a distinctive place in the hearts of Americans, and its records (particularly this one, arguably the biggest individual record of all) are held with great regard. Hank Aaron is also one of the most beloved living sports figures, and Bonds one of the least-loved. By contrast, there really are no individual records for offensive linemen, and certainly none that are widely known outside the sport.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: SilthDraeth
I read your post. Hitting harder, and having greater bat speed doesn't mean he has better accuracy. His hand/eye coordination isn't going to magically increase because his muscles are pumped up.

Actually, it'll up his batting average because it allows him to hit the ball harder.
Just think about how many base hits are a result of hard hit balls that a fielder can't catch up with.

To the Bonds apologists: I can't believe you are arguing that steriods does not make someone a HR hitter, Bonds did not cheat, etc.

First of all, Bonds admitted to using steriods "unknowingly". Case closed.

Second, I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that Bonds was a great player, a power hitter, etc.
The argument is that the steroids allowed Bonds to cheat his way to the HR record.
The steroids gave him the ability to hit what may have been a warning track fly ball over the stands (on top of the ability to sit on a pitch for longer due to increased bat speed).
He cheated, denied it and no one likes a cheater.

Heck, I use protein shakes and sometimes I feel like I'm cheating.

Bonds was also asked what he would like to say to his former trainer, Greg Anderson, who is in jail for refusing to testify against him. "Why are we in that conversation?" he said. "Just another negative question."

And what the heck is this about? Sounds to me like someone is being paid off :confused:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: psteng19
Originally posted by: dainthomas
Ichiro hits it out of the park at will during bp. He gets base hits to help the team.

Wow, are you serious?

Yup. I saw this at Safeco before they played the Reds. I also heard he was doing this in warm-ups before the All Star game.

His HR total could be many times what it is currently, but simply getting on base and forcing pitchers to worry about him helps the team score more in the long run.

Look at the Giants' crappy record for evidence of what a big HR hitter does.

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Ichiro hits it out of the park at will during bp. He gets base hits to help the team.

Wow, are you serious?

Yup. I saw this at Safeco before they played the Reds. I also heard he was doing this in warm-ups before the All Star game.

His HR total could be many times what it is currently, but simply getting on base and forcing pitchers to worry about him helps the team score more in the long run.

Look at the Giants' crappy record for evidence of what a big HR hitter does.

Dainthomas is right. Ichiro can hit the ball out of the park AT WILL.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: DonVito

Baseball holds a distinctive place in the hearts of Americans, and its records (particularly this one, arguably the biggest individual record of all) are held with great regard. Hank Aaron is also one of the most beloved living sports figures, and Bonds one of the least-loved. By contrast, there really are no individual records for offensive linemen, and certainly none that are widely known outside the sport.

Yes Don, I know :)

Remember how hard it was to hit 50 home runs in a season up until about 10 years ago? In 1965 Willie Mays hit 52 home runs. You have to wait until 1977 before George Foster accomplishes this again. Then another 13 years until in 1990 Cecil Fielder hits 51. Then, all of a sudden starting in 1995 people are hitting 50 HR in a season with some frequency. Some who you would expect to hit 50 HRs like McGwire and Griffey but then some who you would not, like Brady Anderson or Luis Gonzalez whom by all accounts are/were not power hitters but had that one season when they hit 50+ and the rest of their careers never hit more than 30 in a season. Were they juicing up for a season or two? Sure sounds like they did for one or two off seasons then stopped as their new found "power" disappeared for the rest of their respective careers. Seems the same with Barry. Sure I think he juiced for a year or two but I think he stopped. I guess it is OK as long as you don't break any records in the process.

I think if you look hard enough you can find many, many current ball players who have at the very least in high school, college, or in the pros used some form of genetic enhancement. I know people say that Babe Ruth and the likes of Gehrig, Foxx, Aaron, etc did not juice, but I wonder though if they could have back then, would they?

OpenThirdEye

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
I know I'm not a sports fan but I have a very, very hard time caring about all this steroid nonsense. Obviously the fans will care, but it needs to stop there. It's just a game. We don't need Congressional hearings and subpoenaed testimony.

And to fit in with this thread yes Bonds sounds like an asshole, and probably took steroids.

BFD.

Viper GTS

Agreed on all counts.

I, too, am not a big sports fan... But I'll throw in my $.02:

Bonds is a dick...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Originally posted by: hypn0tik
Can someone please explain to me what this * business is about?

Is it that * = Star which sort of sounds like 'Star-oids'? Or am I way off base (pun intended)?

It's a caveat. An explanation of extenuating or non-standard circumstances. They did the same thing to Roger Maris.

Edit: Speaking of Roger Maris, were there steroid accusations surrounding his record? I mean, he averaged one homer in every 21 at-bats for his entire career besides 1961, compared to 9.67 in 1961.

that ratio in 1961 is off b/c he was moved to cleanup behind Mantle. Biggest criticism of his 61* (besides the more games played than Ruth, leading to the asterisk), is that he never would have gotten those hittable pitches batting in another spot in the lineup.

Hell, it was big news for the Yankees going into that season. All the sports writers were speculating on how that would be a boon to Maris's hitting.

EDIT: also, Maris had only two good seasons at most. he's in the hall only by virtue of that record that he held, and even then he probably doesn't deserve to be there. of course his HR-AB ratio would be way off the year he made that record.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Originally posted by: Gigantopithecus
Is it football season yet?

Thankfully yes. I can't stand to watch the Orioles suck any more.

on to watching the Ravens suck?

I kid...they're actually pretty good, eh?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: DonVito

Yes Don, I know :)

Remember how hard it was to hit 50 home runs in a season up until about 10 years ago? In 1965 Willie Mays hit 52 home runs. You have to wait until 1977 before George Foster accomplishes this again. Then another 13 years until in 1990 Cecil Fielder hits 51. Then, all of a sudden starting in 1995 people are hitting 50 HR in a season with some frequency. Some who you would expect to hit 50 HRs like McGwire and Griffey but then some who you would not, like Brady Anderson or Luis Gonzalez whom by all accounts are/were not power hitters but had that one season when they hit 50+ and the rest of their careers never hit more than 30 in a season. Were they juicing up for a season or two? Sure sounds like they did for one or two off seasons then stopped as their new found "power" disappeared for the rest of their respective careers. Seems the same with Barry. Sure I think he juiced for a year or two but I think he stopped. I guess it is OK as long as you don't break any records in the process.

I think if you look hard enough you can find many, many current ball players who have at the very least in high school, college, or in the pros used some form of genetic enhancement. I know people say that Babe Ruth and the likes of Gehrig, Foxx, Aaron, etc did not juice, but I wonder though if they could have back then, would they?

I posted this in the other bonds thread.

The reason homeruns increased at a staggering pace is b/c ballparks have gotten shorter. MLB suggested that they shorten ballparks in an attempt to increase homeruns, overall scoring, and fan interest. That is by far the biggest reason that homeruns increased at such a drastic pace. San Diego's new park is the oddball fo the bunch, however. No surprise that the longest ballpark has the least homeruns, eh?

Oh, and you can add Coors Field into that equation as well. Far more significant to the numbers than a steroids factor ever could be.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Did you notice that the pitcher Barry hit number 755 off of was suspended in the minors for steroid use?
Where were all of you Bonds haters when McGwire and Sosa were juicing and "saved" baseball?
Let's face it, baseball has always had cheaters. Ty Cobb, Gaylord Perry, Mike Scott, etc...
To suddenly get all righteous about Barry Bonds is BS.
I'm a Giants fan, and I am a Barry Bonds fan. Most of you haters would love the man if he played for your favorite team.
I am lucky to have seen two of the greatest to ever play, Willie Mays and Barry Bonds.
Hail the greatest power hitter baseball has ever seen.

Did you notice that at the All-Star game in SF nobody hit a splash hit? Even without steroids Bonds is still just about the only person that can hit the water. And this park and Petco park are the hardest in baseball to hit a home run in.
If Barry had played in Atlanta in the '60's against those expansion teams, he would probably have 900 home runs.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Wow, are you serious?

Ichiro hits down on the ball to create groundballs and line drives. In BP, he'll occasionally swing with an upper cut and hit a number of homers.

Wade Boggs did the same thing except one year he tried to hit homers and hit 24 homers over of his average of 8.

mrizvi66

Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: marincounty
Did you notice that the pitcher Barry hit number 755 off of was suspended in the minors for steroid use?
Where were all of you Bonds haters when McGwire and Sosa were juicing and "saved" baseball?
Let's face it, baseball has always had cheaters. Ty Cobb, Gaylord Perry, Mike Scott, etc...
I'm a Giants fan, and I am a Barry Bonds fan. Most of you haters would love the man if he played for your favorite team.
I am lucky to have seen two of the greatest to ever play, Willie Mays and Barry Bonds.

Did you notice that at the All-Star game in SF nobody hit a splash hit? Even without steroids Bonds is still just about the only person that can hit the water. And this park and Petco park are the hardest in baseball to hit a home run in.
If Barry had played in Atlanta in the '60's against those expansion teams, he would probably have 900 home runs.

Bingo...

<----Giants Fan

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: marincounty

too true. actually, there are plenty of people that get on McGuire about it, which makes no freaking sense. Androgen was a legal substance when he used it, openly, and in full admission of everyone. It's ridiculous.

I remember a year or two ago, some baseball writer/historian, with the support of an old-school hall of famer (I forget who), mentioned that if cheaters weren't allowed in the hall of fame, then you might as well revoke membership from more than half of those already inducted--esp if they got in during the earlier decades. Almost all of 'em were cheaters.

Hell, one old-timer came out a year ago with some pretty colorful details about all the ways he tried to cheat (rubber super balls shoved into his bat--the one that didn't get busted for it)

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: lizardboy
Originally posted by: SampSon
Go Bonds!
:roll: to all the haters.

The guy was setting records long before steroids were on anyones mind. In the 15 years he played prior to anyone considering a difference in his physique or performance he was setting records and leading the MLB in numerous hitting records. The guy was regarded as one of the best players ever before any of this ever happened.

Show me the proof of Bonds' substance use, absolute proof, and I'll show you proof that Lance Armstrong doped.

People just hate it when historical sports figured are unseated. I can't imagine the frenzy if anyone ever tops Gretzky's records.

you're an idiot...none of those "hitting records" involved hitting anywhere near 50, 60, or 70 hr in a season until he started using the cream & the clear

Well let's see. He only hit 50+ HRs in 1 of his 22 seasons.

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005
what no one seems to understand (at least from what i have read in here) is that nobody knows, and probably will never know, who was on steroids durring this 'era'. For all we know, dozens of pitchers and regular players were juiced. That doesn't erase the fact that he probably would not have these records without the cream, but it also doesn't erase the fact that he was the 'best' of the juiced players..

And as said earlier, hitting a baseball is not influenced that much on strength, takes a whole lot more than that.