7200RPM or Hybrid SSD 5400RPM?

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Piecing together a computer for myself at work. I have one of those Dell hybrid SSD/HDDs laying around but it's a 5400RPM drive. The computer that I have now is a 7200RPM drive. Would the hybrid be significantly better to go through the hassle of parting stuff out? I'm not even sure if the hybrid works like one of those Seagates.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Is this one of those HDs where it uses the SSD for cache, or is this one that actually uses the SSD for storage?
If it is for cache, then I would get the 7200 RPM HD (well, actually, I would just get a real SSD, and use that).
If it is for storage, then, use that one.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Is this one of those HDs where it uses the SSD for cache, or is this one that actually uses the SSD for storage?
If it is for cache, then I would get the 7200 RPM HD (well, actually, I would just get a real SSD, and use that).
If it is for storage, then, use that one.

Cache. My boss hasn't discovered the greatness that are SSDs yet. Cool I'll stick with the 7200.

CiPHER

Mar 5, 2015
High rpm is not useful anymore. It has many disadvantages and virtually no real advantages today in the age of solid state storage. You should use an SSD for non-contiguous I/O and a HDD for contiguous I/O. That will get you the best of both worlds.

The lower the rpm the better, in theory. This will get you to the sweet spot of extremely low power consumption, low heat generation, low noise, low vibrations, vastly increased reliability (less mechanical wear&tear) and makes it easier to increase data density -- which is what makes a harddrive fast.

The latest WD Green with 1200GB platters reaches up to 175MB/s at the beginning of their capacity, which exceeds 10.000 or 15.000rpm drives with much lower data density. Increasing rpm is the "poor man's choice" to squeeze just a little extra performance out of existing platter technology. The real innovation is to increase data density while guarding uBER reliability level. That is the real challenge.