7200.9 vs 7200.8 vs 7200.7

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
It's difficult finding any conclusive information! It seems 7200.9 is often the fastest, but some benchmarks I've seen look like random data!

Does anyone have any conclusive findings on the pros/cons of the various seagate drives under each category? Anandtech just did a review on the 7200.9, but the information wasn't very conclusive...

Are 7200.9 users still guinea pigs?

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Eeezee
It's difficult finding any conclusive information! It seems 7200.9 is often the fastest, but some benchmarks I've seen look like random data!

Does anyone have any conclusive findings on the pros/cons of the various seagate drives under each category? Anandtech just did a review on the 7200.9, but the information wasn't very conclusive...

Are 7200.9 users still guinea pigs?

Yes. I was the guinea pig to see if they are compatible with the BroadCom 4852 RAID controller. It isn't. Wonderful thing to know after the fact...

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: PurdueRy
my 7200.8 just failed after one month of use...way to go seagate...

Actually, my 7200.8 just gave me a SMART error after a few months of use. I've been using the drive still (my OS is on it) since I need to back up the data. A few days later I boot it up and there's no more SMART error. o_O

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004

Actually, my 7200.8 just gave me a SMART error after a few months of use. I've been using the drive still (my OS is on it) since I need to back up the data. A few days later I boot it up and there's no more SMART error. o_O

Mine got really loud all of a sudden...then was ok....then got loud again....then I Tried to boot up and....no

Goodbye all my files from the past 4 years.

I really don't think I will buy another Seagate drive. My WD has worked fine for the 3 years I have used it.

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003

Ewww. I still say back everything up, and now. Me, I will never even think of getting or recommending Seagate for any machine I build.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo

Ewww. I still say back everything up, and now. Me, I will never even think of getting or recommending Seagate for any machine I build.

All of my old Seagate drives have lasted well beyond the warranty, I guess their quality has just gone down? That's a shame, too... the warranty is so long!

I'm still keeping backups of everything on the 7200.8 drive, but I don't think I can get it RMA'd now. Lame :(

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
It all comes down to personal experience. A friend of mine swears by Seagate, but avoids Western Digital like the plague. I'm the opposite. I've never had a WD fail on me, but I've had 2 of 8 Hitachi's fail (still use Hitachi, and I currently have 8), and 100% of Seagates have been incompatible.

EDIT: And I don't think Seagate's quality has gone down--I just don't believe they are testing compability as well as they should (with SATA2 coming out, etc). And I can't afford to have incompatibility issues on my server.