7 point bull elk in my backyard.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
36127_416809321837_729506837_4504463_5320960_n.jpg

37300_406662127396_644407396_5035676_4867985_n.jpg

cell phone pics dont do it justice. this thing was huge. and it was just strolling in the green belt behind my house as i was getting ready for a run. my neighbor wanted to shoot it.

Last edited:

joesmoke

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2007
elk are playful if i remember correctly. why dont you run at it screaming then drop kick it. they love that.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
Do yourself a favor and purchase a .30-06. I love that rifle. Or maybe a .350 magnum. But alas, I understand if you aren't the hunting type. :)

Don't really have time to hunt, although I did pick up a permit for this year. going to borrow a friends ruger m77

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
elk are playful if i remember correctly. why dont you run at it screaming then drop kick it. they love that.

They are NOT playful. They are very territorial and will charge. You almost got OP hurt. Not funny.

Oh, and shoot it.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
A .308 will drop an elk no problem.

I don't doubt that, but I think there is a rule here in CO about semi-autos for hunting....at least regarding magazine size. i'm not sure though.

Besides, when I saw that thing close up (well within 25 feet) it was too beautiful for me to shoot.

/hippymode

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
Beautiful picture. :)

It's a shame you couldn't zoom closer.

yeah, I think my step dad zoomed in, and my neighbor busted out her camera so I will try to get more pics. A few minutes after there was a smaller buck, and a few babies.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
I don't doubt that, but I think there is a rule here in CO about semi-autos for hunting....at least regarding magazine size. i'm not sure though.

I did a quick search and didnt find anything about that. You could be correct though, I didnt look very hard.

/shrug

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
I did a quick search and didnt find anything about that. You could be correct though, I didnt look very hard.

/shrug

I slightly recall my ccw class the guy was talking on lunch break about how its stupid that semi-auto's have to have 10round of less in the mags, but meh i'm no hunter.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Had a family flashback . Had to almost get mom out of jail and she is 67.
Most of my family is involved with hunting, all except my mother. My mom likes animals, you can't even yell at one in her presence. There were a few deer in the field last year behind her home and a few hunters decided to take the initiative, even though the land is clearly posted no hunting. She yelled at them to leave and one of them took a shot at the deer but missed which at that point the hunter heard another gun go off, my moms .22 rifle. He turned to find that my mom had shot at a tree about 30 feet away from them and her telling them again to leave. They left but called the local sheriff who then called me. The sheriff upon arrival told the hunters that their complaint wasn't valid because he had learned earlier that year that my mom was a very good shot, she beat him in a shooting competition, and could have 'castrated them both from 50 yds if she wanted' his words. If she intended to kill them they would be dead. Nothing became of it but I am very careful about how I behave around her and animals now :)

marsbound2024

Aug 14, 2007
Had a family flashback . Had to almost get mom out of jail and she is 67.
Most of my family is involved with hunting, all except my mother. My mom likes animals, you can't even yell at one in her presence. There were a few deer in the field last year behind her home and a few hunters decided to take the initiative, even though the land is clearly posted no hunting. She yelled at them to leave and one of them took a shot at the deer but missed which at that point the hunter heard another gun go off, my moms .22 rifle. He turned to find that my mom had shot at a tree about 30 feet away from them and her telling them again to leave. They left but called the local sheriff who then called me. The sheriff upon arrival told the hunters that their complaint wasn't valid because he had learned earlier that year that my mom was a very good shot, she beat him in a shooting competition, and could have 'castrated them both from 50 yds if she wanted' his words. If she intended to kill them they would be dead. Nothing became of it but I am very careful about how I behave around her and animals now :)

That's an awesome story. And yes I know I can't dismiss other parts of the world, but Southerners have damn good aim usually. I suppose it is because of the widespread tradition of hunting around here.

marsbound2024

Aug 14, 2007
wtf that's your backyard??? Is your closest neighbor like a mile away?

People in the city are very unused to this. My backyard is a lot like that also. We get maybe one car per 30-45 minutes on our road. But I'm only about 30 miles from the nearest city of 60,000 or so.