7 People 1 Wireless Router...

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
I will be living with 7 people include myself this September.

So I was wondering will the internet be ULTRA slow because all 7 of us are using the internet at the same time? Will I suffer? I will most likely be downloading stuff like big files of TV series etc. Also, I'm a PC gamer. I wont be gaming allot but you get the idea.

Just wondering will this effect my internet speed etc? Should I consider buying my own router? If yes, my flatmate probs ask why lol D:

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I would because just one older device would slow everyone's wireless speeds. Try it and see if you can do the things you want.

Feb 25, 2011
It's not that you need your own router - it's that you need a fat pipe and some kind of QoS implementation or per-client bandwidth cap, so that when you're downloading a TV episode, the dude downstairs on the stationary bike can still watch netflix and the guy in the next room can still download a software update without having the system hang.

As with most finite resources, it's not about getting more, it's about sharing effectively. You need a good router, not another one.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
It's not that you need your own router - it's that you need a fat pipe and some kind of QoS implementation or per-client bandwidth cap, so that when you're downloading a TV episode, the dude downstairs on the stationary bike can still watch netflix and the guy in the next room can still download a software update without having the system hang.

As with most finite resources, it's not about getting more, it's about sharing effectively. You need a good router, not another one.
Any suggestions? :confused:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I know someone with 20+ Mbit down Comcast, in a house with 5 people, and they're fine.

Unless you have several "torrent hogs", that don't limit their bandwidth, I don't see how 7 people would be a problem, as long as you have a similar connection or better.

(For ex., I don't think sharing 3Mbit DSL among 7 people would be a good idea.)

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
I'm assuming you're going to be at the University in a dorm room with 7 other people?

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Why not set up multiple routers? I'm not sure what the layout of your dorm room(s) are so I can't really help.
Multiple routers may be good but people above said to get a good ISP. But I dont know any fast broadband providers in the UK :(
Any suggestions:\?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
7 people sharing 1 ISP = a lot of agony to arrive... :X

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
My wireless N router averages about 3-5 devices at any time and i can torrent without affecting latency as long as I cap the down/up in the BT client to well below the max the pipe can handle. Runs fairly smoothly this way and I even have a wireless client bridge for a desktop. The router connected to the WAN (cable) is a TP-Link WDR4300 with DD-WRT. I keep QoS and WMM disabled as they seem to muck things up worse. I just manage bandwidth and it is smooth sailing.

Venom20

Apr 12, 2011
With a decent router, your router should not be the cause or problem of any latency on the network with only 7 connections. The problem is going to come with the torrenters. If you all are torrenting you are all going to see slow connections.

As has been said, 7 people sharing something like a 20Mbps connection will be fine but dropping to 3Mbps would be rough.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
get a good router and the fastest connection available. I have an asus rt-n66u, which should serve your needs fine.

virgin has a 100 Mb plan for £35/month, that should be ample bandwidth for 7 people.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
get a good router and the fastest connection available. I have an asus rt-n66u, which should serve your needs fine.

virgin has a 100 Mb plan for £35/month, that should be ample bandwidth for 7 people.
Dumb question incoming - Why does it matter what router to get? I thought I only need to worry about my broadband package. What speed/up I get etc. Also, I thought the ISP will give us a Virgin router? No? (Let say I purchased the virgin package you stated)

Sorry, I'm a newb when it comes to computer technology. D:

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
If you want a quality router with good QoS, you may have to look into custom firmwares like Tomato/DD-WRT/OpenWRT -- Check their respective sites and see what they support. I personally recommend the Asus rt-u66n

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would because just one older device would slow everyone's wireless speeds. Try it and see if you can do the things you want.

I think sxr7171 is referencing the fact that many wireless AP's completely suck at doing mixed mode 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz. If you have one client with an old A or B radio it could make LAN throughput bad for everyone.