7 days since I had a cigarette or a drink **1 week update***

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
and I feel great!!!

I still want a smoke really bad. Oh well, that will pass (hopefully)

A buddy of mine and I went out to lunch yesterday to an Irish restaurant here in town. We ordered our diet cokes and food. I forgot that St. Patrick's day was an excuse to drink. Everyone else at the place was ordering Guinness, green beer, black and tans and I heard a guy ordering an irish car bomb. In the hour that we were there I watched a bunch of them go from sober to sloshed, and I was glas I wasnt them.

I am not saying I am never going to drink again, but I not until I have a reason to (maybe my one year anniversary of not smoking??)

Anyways, just wanted to brag a bit :)

still going strong after a week. I seem to compensate for not smoking by drinking lots of pop. The good news is that I drink diet pop, so I am not poisoning myself or anything. And I now drink more coffee than ever.

I plan to start cutting back on the lozenges this week. And I still feel great!!!!

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Congrats GoodDad [non-alcoholic] :beer: [/non-alcoholic]

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Great job! And if you ever need a reason not to start smoking again, PM me, and I'll send you a CT of lung cancer. :)

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: DrNoobie
Great job! And if you ever need a reason not to start smoking again, PM me, and I'll send you a CT of lung cancer. :)

oooh....lemme see!!!!

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: GoodDad

oooh....lemme see!!!!

Me too please!

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004

oooh....lemme see!!!!

Here's where the noobie in me real shines. Where can I host a picture?

Crazymofo

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein

oooh....lemme see!!!!

Me too please!

Me three please! Good luck with being a non-smoker! I'm nearing 4 months of non-smoking bliss!

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Chest X-ray
CT Scan
The first one is, obviously, a chest x-ray. The mass in the lower right is the cancer.
The second one is the CT scan, and has been appropriately labeled (Ca is cancer).

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Chest X-ray
CT Scan
The first one is, obviously, a chest x-ray. The mass in the lower right is the cancer.
The second one is the CT scan, and has been appropriately labeled (Ca is cancer).

nice! I have a picture of a smoker's lung somewhere. You cant really tell what it is though, it just looks like a greyish lump of something.

virtueixi

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2003
DrNoobie, are you currently in medical school? If so what year are you/what do you want to be?

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: virtueixi
DrNoobie, are you currently in medical school? If so what year are you/what do you want to be?

I'm second year premed. I've been interning at a local hospital for two years, basically doing bitch work (chart entries, running charts, pushing carts, etc.) and some basic stuff (inserting IVs, disimpacting [yuck], etc.). I'm paid minimum wage + case studies, and unlimited time on the sim. I come from a family of 6 doctors including 2 cardiologists, 1 nephrologist, 1 urologist, 1 internal medicine, and 1 pediatrician. I'm really interested in nephrology, so that's my current decision for specialization, but that could definately change.

virtueixi

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2003

I'm second year premed. I've been interning at a local hospital for two years, basically doing bitch work (chart entries, running charts, pushing carts, etc.) and some basic stuff (inserting IVs, disimpacting [yuck], etc.). I'm paid minimum wage + case studies, and unlimited time on the sim. I come from a family of 6 doctors including 2 cardiologists, 1 nephrologist, 1 urologist, 1 internal medicine, and 1 pediatrician. I'm really interested in nephrology, so that's my current decision for specialization, but that could definately change.

Does nephrology require a special rotation after medical school? What does it involve other than dialysis?

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004

Does nephrology require a special rotation after medical school? What does it involve other than dialysis?

I'm pretty sure it requires an extra 2 years on top of the 3 year general medicine residency.
They're pretty much in charge of diagnosing/treating End-stage renal failure and other kidney diseases, can specialize in kidney transplants, and specialize in dialysis treatment. Problems in the kidneys can affect the rest of the body very strongly, and that's why I find it interesting. I'm also interested in just sticking with internal medicine.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Good job. I'm going on 10 months of not smoking. It does get easier but I still want a cigarette from time to time.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
So, you're going from rudeguy to puritan?

Good for you

In the last 4 days I've consumed enough food to kill a horse and enough drink to float the carcass. I'm on vacation, but when I get back it's back on the wagon for me.