7. BOINC Pentathlon 2016

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
And the Marathon project is...

Citizen Science Grid?

Never heard of them. :confused:

Edit: Looks like Subset Sum work times out in 4 days. So no point even building for a flush until tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
The City Run is POGS. My favorite project for Android devices. :) Subset Sum works on Android too but only pre 5.0. D:

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I just signed onto CSG to try out a few subsetsum WU's and there are none available. I wonder if this is usual or not, because its going to make quite a interesting race if WU are limited.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Apparently the admin has been notified and he will get right on it....making new tasks....as soon as he finishes some other stuff. That was 24 hours ago roughly.

So I think I'll stick with a cache for POGS...anyone know if I can disable uploads while still getting downloads in BOINC?

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Is there a team strategy to this event? I am trying to decide how to allocate resources to the teams advantage.

Also, Citizen Science Grid looks like four different projects...................??

I'll get focused here soon I hope. :)

Last edited:

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Apparently the admin has been notified and he will get right on it....making new tasks....as soon as he finishes some other stuff.
Oh no! Not good ... that could mean weeks/months if it is still Travis! He is busy guy, also has/had something to do with MilkyWay@Home

Never heard of them.
The TeAm is in eighth place in the Bird Watching category! (no BOINC points for that though)

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Citizen Science Grid looks like four different projects...................??
This used to be three different projects run by UND/Travis, he combined DNA@H, Subsetsum and Wildlife@H in an effort to make it easier to manage!?
Looks like only SubsetSum WUs lately.

I see the WUs have finally more than doubled in value since I was crunching/watching, a much needed suggestion I gave before quitting three years ago.

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
anyone know if I can disable uploads while still getting downloads in BOINC?
Not for a single project, since if #uploads > 2x #cpu you can't ask for work from this project.

That you can do on the other hand is to add/edit the following line to the <options>-part in cc_config.xml:
Code:
<max_tasks_reported>1</max_tasks_reported>
If you uses this line you will only report a single task each time and since you normally can get many new tasks each time you asks for work you can re-fill your cache without reporting everything you've already done. Just remember to upload the result-files before starting to report, to not hit the limit on #uploads. ;)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I'll be away on a trip during the start. I've set all my CPUs crunching Citizen Science Grid, so some points should count when the WUs arrive ...

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
PrimeGrid for the Cross Country, I only saw the timer for it, includes GPU use. Anyone know the specifics/any particular sub-project?

Just do pps sieve. It gets the best credit.
Edit: unless you want to do a multi day gfn for bunkering purposes.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Just under 9 hours until the Marathon starts, Midnight UTC, then another 24 hours and I can release my POGS cache and start caching some PrimeGrid for the GPU.

I will have 'limited' hardware this year, only 92 threads and one GPU. Still trying to sell my GPUs, but now that the Nvidia 1000 series is out....

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
I have started winding down folding and attaching my rigs to POGS, which looks to be cpu only. I started to attach to CSG but when I saw it was cpu only I quit. So right now my cpu's are on POGS and my gpu's are idle.............. I'm a little surprised gpu work isn't more of a priority on some of these BOINC projects.

Guess I have been inside the Folding beltway too long....... :D

I am guessing Tony will be in hog heaven with 92 cores. :p

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well CSG seems to be a bust, so I'm going to do POGS and PrimeGrid. I'll see what the other projects are and may do those as they come along. Kind of disapointed in the choice of a project that has no work. :(

I can only get 100 WU's for my 970 in PrimeGrid sieve and that is less than 18 hours of work so I won't be bunkering there. :(

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
You can get gfn WUs too. They don't pay quite as well but they run longer. I'm doing one 21 on a 750ti. One 22 might be better on a 970.

Last edited:

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You can get gfn WUs too. They don't pay quite as well but they run longer. I'm doing one 21 on a 750ti. One 22 might be better on a 970.

...but what are the chances that a wingman will finish those in time to be counted. This is not like the PrimeGrid Challenges where they are counted and then deducted only if the are invalid. This is credit accounted for within the time frame of each Challenge and the sieve WU's are quick and easy, good credit and usually verified by a wingman fairly quickly.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
...but what are the chances that a wingman will finish those in time to be counted.
Good point. Fortunately, the one WU I'm running is one where I'm the wingman.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
So right now my cpu's are on POGS and my gpu's are idle.............. I'm a little surprised gpu work isn't more of a priority on some of these BOINC projects.

You can always configure your folding client to use GPU only while you contribute 90% of the CPUs to this race (leaving 1 full core/2 threads to assist the GPUs).

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Can you run multiple BOINC clients on one PC? That would surely solve the issue of bunkering projects individually.
Bunkering different BOINC-projects are fairly easy, the easy method is to just Suspend project-1 while you're asking for work from Project-2 and as you've filled-up with work from Project-2, disable network and re-enable Project-1 again.

A more advanced method is to use some firewall-rules to block Project-1 from connecting to scheduling-server, would guess using the hosts-file would also work, atleast under Windows.

As for your question, the client does have some config-settings to allow multiple clients so yes, it should be possible to get this to work... but I've no idea how hard this would be in practice. As long as it's different BOINC-projects I've never seen any reason to run multiple BOINC-clients since one of the methods for temporarily block a project to reporting is much less prone for things to go wrong.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
In just 6 more hours, the Quad-athlon unofficially starts!!! (In light of the fact CSG has failed the BOINC community by not providing sufficient WU's, I hereby disqualify it. :p )

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Suspended projects always upload for me, but thanks for the info.
Yes, but this shouldn't be a problem, since in BOINC returning results is a two-step process with 1st. being uploading of result-file(s) and 2nd. being reporting of result. Suspending a project blocks the reporting and because of this as far as the project goes you've not returned anything yet.

So unless you've hit a bug there BOINC also does the reporting for suspended project it can actually be an advantage to upload result-files as they're made available but firewall-block the scheduling-server that accepts the reporting. This is especcially true if a project has large files to upload and you've got mediocre upload-speed or is saving-up for a dump at the end of the Quad-Athlon or another race.

Hmm, with Pogs starting in a few hours it's maybe an idea to start grabbing some work... :oops:

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
I've flushed most of my POGS work. And fortunately no new project announcement tonight.