7/31/21 The vaccines work

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Using percentage of total population is a strong move for propaganda purposes. It greatly irritates me that the media has been parroting those figures. They serve no practical purpose until a pandemic is over, as they'll simply grow by the day.

A meaningful number would be Vaccinated infections, hospitalizations and deaths VS Non in recent days / weeks.

Let's do some simple math then. .0001% of the vaccinated dying from COVID means 1 in 1 million. AFAIK about 165 million have been vaccinated. Meaning about ~165 vaccinated people have died from COVID. Around 310,000 people have died from COVID since the vaccines were introduced.

The remaining calculation is more complicated due to the change in the percentage of the population being vaccinated over time. But we're looking at a ballpark of .1% of the COVID deaths, or 1 in 1000, being vaccinated, with half the population currently vaccinated and half unvaccinated. Another way of expressing it is, if you died, there's about a 99.9% chance you were unvaccinated.

Another stat published a couple days back says the unvaccinated account for 97% of covid hospitalizations, based on recent data.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I would say that they could interview docs and nurses and ICU, who will say that 95%+ of the people in there drowning on dry land for weeks or months (what a horrible way to die) are unvaccinated.

But half the country would just say they are lying, they are actors etc. A huge chunk of apolitical young people won't give a shit, because they are all about them. Face it, we aren't going to reach herd immunity via vaccination.

Considering how contagious Delta is, the medical people are saying: you are going to get the vaccine, or get Delta. Possibly both, but in that case you shouldn't have major issues. I'd be terrified if I was unvaccinated right now, but I know some people who are still so scared of the vaccines (or believe in utter qAnon crap) that they won't get it. Good luck I guess.

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
We have gotten much better at treating COVID. It's not perfect and a lot depends on timing. We had a 40 something person come in with low o2 levels come in and coded in the ER. Covid. We got the person back, thank goodness but keep in mind that is an ICU bed that is expected to be taken up for several weeks. We don't have a lot of beds to begin with. COVID patients stay in the hospital longer than typical patients. When we run out of beds and staff that's it. There are only so many high flow O2 machines running around with respiratory therapists. We also have a doc out with COVID and they were vaccinated!
We have plenty of meds and PPE this time around so we are more prepared, but just like last time, we will again realize that our health resources are finite. Once we hit that threshold, the number of deaths go up.

RTs and nurses, BTW, are the real champions of COVID. To be honest, my part as a doc is relatively easy in comparison to what they do. Seriously, they are rock stars.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Nah, probably just pure coincidence. Somehow antifa is involved though, making bama look bad. You can get a lot done with a Jewish space laser is all I'm saying.

hgNnSBH.png

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Using percentage of total population is a strong move for propaganda purposes. It greatly irritates me that the media has been parroting those figures. They serve no practical purpose until a pandemic is over, as they'll simply grow by the day.

A meaningful number would be Vaccinated infections, hospitalizations and deaths VS Non in recent days / weeks.

The number of hospitalizations & deaths among the vaccinated is so small that it's almost insignificant-

That's obviously not true for the unvaccinated. The potential for exponential growth is much stronger with the delta variant. It's a game changer.

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
Nah, probably just pure coincidence. Somehow antifa is involved though, making bama look bad. You can get a lot done with a Jewish space laser is all I'm saying.

hgNnSBH.png
I'm so proud of our state (/s)

Our organization sends out alerts when covid infections are reported in the complex (tells building number, and floors, and the most recent timeframe the infected employee was in). More recently May-July or so), they've been pretty rare. I've gotten alerts the last 3 working days (Friday, Monday, and today) of new infections. And this is with less than 25% of the workforce actually going into the office.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
More proof of efficacy.

The 10 states with the lowest vaccination rates are Alabama, Mississippi, Wyoming, Idaho, Louisiana, Arkansas, West Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee and North Dakota. Data from the US Department of Health and Human Services shows an average of 39 people hospitalized with Covid-19 for every 100,000 residents in those states, compared to 10 for every 100,000 in the top 10 vaccinated states.
The top states with high vaccination rates are Vermont, Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maryland, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Washington and New York.
In the 10 states with the lowest vaccination rates, there is an average of about 34 deaths per 1 million residents, and in states with the highest, the average is six deaths per 1 million, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

Summary: the 10 states with the lowest vaccination rates are showing 4x the hospitalization rate and nearly 6x the death rate, as compared to the 10 states with the highest vaccination rates.

Feb 4, 2009
More proof of efficacy.

Summary: the 10 states with the lowest vaccination rates are showing 4x the hospitalization rate and nearly 6x the death rate, as compared to the 10 states with the highest vaccination rates.

Been following MA vs FL or TX.
Cases have been ticking up in MA but nowhere close to the speed they ticked up in FL or TX from a few weeks ago.
Massachusetts is around 80-something hospitalized with covid. Florida from memory was around 1,000 three or four weeks ago. Florida is about 3x the population so rounding up that would make MA have 300 hospitalized.
I have said it in other threads seems like once a place gets to 60% vaccinated it makes a huge difference.
Also I do fear part if the difference being Florida is mostly indoor living because it is too fucking hot outside. Massachusetts has had a hot and rainy summer but we coukd be outside more. I fear what happed in FL happening in MA when it gets cold.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Been following MA vs FL or TX.
Cases have been ticking up in MA but nowhere close to the speed they ticked up in FL or TX from a few weeks ago.
Massachusetts is around 80-something hospitalized with covid. Florida from memory was around 1,000 three or four weeks ago. Florida is about 3x the population so rounding up that would make MA have 300 hospitalized.
I have said it in other threads seems like once a place gets to 60% vaccinated it makes a huge difference.
Also I do fear part if the difference being Florida is mostly indoor living because it is too fucking hot outside. Massachusetts has had a hot and rainy summer but we coukd be outside more. I fear what happed in FL happening in MA when it gets cold.

Yeah, you're probably right about indoor living in FLA. But Florida is actually not one of the worst states for vaccination rate. It is just below the national average.

You might see a surge during colder weather in MA but I doubt you'll see that many deaths and hospitalizations, comparatively speaking. Vax rate is 65% fully vaxxed and 75% half vaxxed. By the time the weather gets cold the overall rate will likely have reached 80%.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I'm being more careful after what happened to my vaccinated, really healthy (though mid 60s) friend. He battled covid at home for 10 days, calling the EMTs once, before finally going into a standalone ER. He said five people worked on him for 3 hours, he was not in good shape. Doing better now but he's being treated for both covid and pneumonia. I really don't know that many people, especially after ditching Facebook, and one of those few I DO know ends up really, really sick. He doesn't count as "hospitalized" but he really should have been.

I think vaccinated people are out there getting pretty ill, and maybe those who got it earliest are more at risk after almost 8 months (in my friend's case). We talked about how much worse it *could* have been, he's very glad he got vaccinated for sure. Just know that the vax is not a "get out of jail free" card.

Also, his entire family (all but one) are positive mostly likely from the same visit with relatives. All but one are vaxxed. My friend had the worst case, including the unvaxxed person, but his wife is now feeling worse than before and they are going to bring her into the same ER soon. She first tested positive almost two weeks ago and is just now starting to feel quite a bit worse.

• Wow
Reactions: hal2kilo

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm being more careful after what happened to my vaccinated, really healthy (though mid 60s) friend. He battled covid at home for 10 days, calling the EMTs once, before finally going into a standalone ER. He said five people worked on him for 3 hours, he was not in good shape. Doing better now but he's being treated for both covid and pneumonia. I really don't know that many people, especially after ditching Facebook, and one of those few I DO know ends up really, really sick. He doesn't count as "hospitalized" but he really should have been.

I think vaccinated people are out there getting pretty ill, and maybe those who got it earliest are more at risk after almost 8 months (in my friend's case). We talked about how much worse it *could* have been, he's very glad he got vaccinated for sure. Just know that the vax is not a "get out of jail free" card.

Also, his entire family (all but one) are positive mostly likely from the same visit with relatives. All but one are vaxxed. My friend had the worst case, including the unvaxxed person, but his wife is now feeling worse than before and they are going to bring her into the same ER soon. She first tested positive almost two weeks ago and is just now starting to feel quite a bit worse.
Do you know which vax they got?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
From a nearby healthcare provider, Monday's numbers were 197 covid patients in the hospitals, of which 1 was vaccinated.
On the other side of the state the numbers were not so dramatic, 76 and 4.
The aggregate was about 2%