6970 to 7970 Ghz

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Prepare to meet clock/voltage crippling mayhem! :thumbsup:

If it passes Crysis 3, it will pass anything! lol

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
Prepare to meet clock/voltage crippling mayhem! :thumbsup:

If it passes Crysis 3, it will pass anything! lol

While Crysis 3 is a decent test and stresses the ROPs decently, if you want to stress your ROPs to the max do a test with Mechwarrior Online (Also Cryengine 3 so uses your 6 cores maximally) as it uses DirectX 9, which stresses ROPs harder than DirectX 11 likely because of less efficiently compressed textures (Requiring more memory bandwidth for an equivalent quality of textures).

Last edited:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
While Crysis 3 is a decent test and stresses the ROPs decently, if you want to stress your ROPs to the max do a test with Mechwarrior Online (Also Cryengine 3 so uses your 6 cores maximally) as it uses DirectX 9, which stresses ROPs harder than DirectX 11 likely because of less efficiently compressed textures (Requiring more memory bandwidth for an equivalent quality of textures).

I was playing mechwarrior online last night haven't played in awhile so lot of patches to download. I liked some of the updates they have done as for performance I don't see much difference in this game between the 6970 and the 7970.

Will download Crysis 3 today and check that out at home.

For the games i've played so far I noticed a huge improvement in borderlands 2 testing 4 player multiplayer with physx on, I don't see big slow downs in certain areas.

And the other game I tested was Batman AC with physx and also a noticeable improvement there.

The rest of the games I have installed on steam aren't demanding enough like L4D2, CS go, Marvel Heroes.

I have the first metro game so may have to reload that to bench, and I will reinstall BF3.

Last edited:

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
I was playing mechwarrior online last night haven't played in awhile so lot of patches to download. I liked some of the updates they have done as for performance I don't see much difference in this game between the 6970 and the 7970.

Will download Crysis 3 today and check that out at home.

For the games i've played so far I noticed a huge improvement in borderlands 2 testing 4 player multiplayer with physx on I don't see big slow down in certain areas.

And the other game I tested was Batman AC with physx and also a noticeable improvement there.

The rest of the game are I have installed on steam aren't demanding enough like L4D2, CS go, Marvel Heroes.

I have the first metro game so may have to reload that to bench, and I will reinstall BF3.

I guess I forgot to mention that my test only really matters if you go above 1500 mhz (6000 MT/s) on the video ram, as the ROPs can handle that up to 90c. Any higher and you run into trouble when you stress the ROPs to the maximum in Mechwarrior Online. The problem is that games actually do scale fairly well over 6000 MT/s if you are clocking at 1100 mhz or higher.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I guess I forgot to mention that my test only really matters if you go above 1500 mhz (6000 MT/s) on the video ram, as the ROPs can handle that up to 90c. Any higher and you run into trouble when you stress the ROPs to the maximum in Mechwarrior Online. The problem is that games actually do scale fairly well over 6000 MT/s if you are clocking at 1100 mhz or higher.

Right now my clocks are 1050/1500

I will also test at 1150/1600