6900XT F@H PPD - Windows and Manjaro

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I figured since there seems to be spotty/incomplete/a total lack of information about folding performance on 6000 cards, I'd give it a go. After spending a week trying to get a passkey, finally they fixed the system this morning.

Before the passkey I was seeing ~700k PPD on W10. Now with the passkey it's showing me 4.7m-4.9m PPD. Not sure if I can get more bonus points for letting it run more than I have, but it's looking pretty good. Radeon control panel reports 200-260W or so, depending on the size of the work unit. The largest 55k work units only use 200W and are by far the highest PPD at >750k (pre passkey, will have to see how many ppd they are now).

Does anyone know if AMD cards also see a performance uplift in Linux? I'll probably be throwing Manjaro on to try folding and see if it climbs any higher.

Edit: results are 4.7-4.9M PPD at 260-270W in W10 and Manjaro.... 4.3-4.5M PPD at 200-220W with some tweaking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Assimilator1

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
F@H is about 20%-30% higher ppd in linux than windows. I get about 5.1-5.3 million ppd on a 2080TI @260 watts in linux.

Thinking about it, its been so long since I did anything in windows with a serious folding card, not sure about those percentages, but its better in linux.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
F@H is about 20%-30% higher ppd in linux than windows. I get about 5.1-5.3 million ppd on a 2080TI @260 watts in linux.

Thinking about it, its been so long since I did anything in windows with a serious folding card, not sure about those percentages, but its better in linux.

I'll report back what I find in linux. That'd be pretty sweet if I could get 6M+ at these power levels. Need to put all 25 tflops to good use!

I could probably make it much more efficient. I've just been running my card bone stock, which hits 2550+ mhz and maxes out voltage. I'll have to do some tweaking once in linux.

I just did the software recommended undervolt from 1175mV to 1150mV and it dropped frequency 50MHz and power by almost 10%. Now it's sitting around 240W instead of 260W.

• Wow
Reactions: Assimilator1

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I tried to lower wattage, and it significantly downed the ppd.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
That's a big drop in power for a small drop in frequency!
I don't suppose you have a ppd number for that setting yet?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
That's a big drop in power for a small drop in frequency!
I don't suppose you have a ppd number for that setting yet?

It kept me closer to 4.7M than oscillating up to 4.9M.

I also tweaked the SOC voltage through MorePowerTool which is a really low hanging fruit power reduction and it also lowered power another 5-10% at no cost to frequency. I don't have a good comparison to the numbers I've quoted so far because I started getting assigned different work units that are running at 4.5m PPD.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
For some reason on Linux it's not awarding me bonus points. I'll let it run a while to see when they start giving them.

Sorta vaguely looks like it might be only 5% faster.

One issue is modifying the power limit and voltages of 6000 cards isn't supported until the next kernel release, so even with a point advantage it might be better to stick to windows to be able to optimize power for the time being.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
For some reason on Linux it's not awarding me bonus points. I'll let it run a while to see when they start giving them.

Sorta vaguely looks like it might be only 5% faster.

One issue is modifying the power limit and voltages of 6000 cards isn't supported until the next kernel release, so even with a point advantage it might be better to stick to windows to be able to optimize power for the time being.
Well, its not linux, as almost all of my farm, and right now, all 30 million ppd thats running is under linux.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Well, its not linux, as almost all of my farm, and right now, all 30 million ppd thats running is under linux.

No, I don't think it's linux's fault I'm not getting bonus points. I assumed with my already-bonus-earning passkey I'd be able to switch to linux and keep receiving bonus points without having to do 10 work units first. Apparently not.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
No, I don't think it's linux's fault I'm not getting bonus points. I assumed with my already-bonus-earning passkey I'd be able to switch to linux and keep receiving bonus points without having to do 10 work units first. Apparently not.
I can't remember, but it may be by host/OS that awards the bonus points.

Reactions: Justinus

Trotador22

Dec 5, 2019
Sorry to ask but you introduced your passkey when installing F@H in linux, didn't you?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Sorry to ask but you introduced your passkey when installing F@H in linux, didn't you?

Yeah username and passkey are in the conf file (visible in FAHControl, too) and I let it fold all night. Submitted 12 WUs but still no bonus points. Not seeing bonus points reflected on my donor stats page either.

Edit: the client might be lying at this point. I earned 800k points over night which cannot be explained without them. My guess is I did start getting bonus points on my last 2 submitted work units.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yeah username and passkey are in the conf file (visible in FAHControl, too) and I let it fold all night. Submitted 12 WUs but still no bonus points. Not seeing bonus points reflected on my donor stats page either.

Edit: the client might be lying at this point. I earned 800k points over night which cannot be explained without them. My guess is I did start getting bonus points on my last 2 submitted work units.
What name do you fold under ? I assume team 198 Team Anandtech

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
What name do you fold under ? I assume team 198 Team Anandtech

Yeah 198 under Justinus. I'm watching the next work unit I submit to see if I am awarded bonus points. Rebooting and restarting the client didn't seem to change the display in the control panel.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, I found you at 1209th place in our team. You just started folding ! Congrats ! Is this your only card ? Watch the updates every 3-4 hours.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
OK, I found you at 1209th place in our team. You just started folding ! Congrats ! Is this your only card ? Watch the updates every 3-4 hours.

Yeah, it my personal/work PC. Since I just started a year long project where I was sent a PC I am required to use I figured I would fold on my PC while I have it on for access to personal messaging apps/etc.

I confirmed I am receiving bonus points on linux despite the control panel not showing them but it only comes out to mid 4 million PPD. The work units I'm getting this morning aren't the best, so I'm going to hold out for better work units before I determine linux vs. windows PPD.

I'd be at a much higher position if I were able to get a passkey earlier than yesterday morning ;)

Last edited:

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Hahahahaha! The client wasn't showing bonus points because the system time was desynchronized. That will make determining linux PPD much easier....

Reactions: biodoc

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Hahahahaha! The client wasn't showing bonus points because the system time was desynchronized. That will make determining linux PPD much easier....
That has happened to me. If you don't set the time zone at setup correctly, then all bonus points look like they are not there.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
The final results are in.

Both W10 and Manjaro appear to perform the same, 4.7-4.9M PPD at stock settings, ~260-270W reported in Radeon Control Panel.

I can get it to run at ~4.3-4.5M PPD at around ~200-220W with some tweaking.

Unfortunately I've got intermittent WHEA errors from my 5950x that are causing hard restarts so I'm on hiatus already to get that sorted. Good thing I convinced my SO to fold on her shiny new system (my old system) with a 1080ti. 2.6M PPD on W10 ain't bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: lane42