Question 6900 XT and 12 volt requirements

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Hi,
I can't seems to able to find the 12 volt requirement for this GPU.
I did see 850 Watt PS requirement. Which I do not have one.
I think 6900 XT uses 350 watts, so at 12 volts it would be 30 amps.
Now I do have 750 Watt PS with 60 Amp, I think should be good enough ?
other system load is as follow
MB: B450 AORUS PRO WIFI
Memory : 4 DDR4 XMP profile 1.35 Volt
CPU Ryzen 2700 (65 TDP) No OC
SSD: 1 NVMe,
SATA: 1 SSD
SATA 1 HDD 7200 RPM
Cooling AiO
FAN : 4 PWN
What you all think ?

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
I am able to run 6900 XT from 2013 XFX 730 pro PS.
I has all the feature I would like to have it.
Like OVP, UVP, OCP), and OTP with sustained 60 amps on 12 volt rails.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I would absolutely move to a Ryzen 5000 CPU with that GPU. I've gotten to test 2 systems that move from Ryzen 3000 to 5000, (one to a 5600 and other a 5800x) and both get nearly double the FPS when playing CPU limited games. Slow, high latency DDR4 is also a big culprit in low fps!

We got to test:

ARMA 3 custom missions
Mordhau with AI horde mod
Ground Branch with 100 ai mod
Sins of a Solar Empire SotP mod
Supreme Commander with LOUD mod
R6 Siege with AI horde mod
Zero Hour vanilla

Each title showed dramatic FPS gains, and Sins was over a 3x perf gain when over 9000 units, something my old quad core couldn't dream of doing.

edit: When my CPU is the bottleneck in most games, it is around 60% CPU usage in games. Only a couple games will have it read 100% usage, but it isn't reliable. In games that show 100% usage, my power consumption is far too low.

What I do consider a reliable usage metric is GPU usage.

If it ain't around 92%+ GPU usage, you prob are limited elsewhere. You want to be GPU limited to have smoothest frame times in my experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea and Shmee

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020

I my EVGA was 7-8 years old, and it was fine. I triggered the OCP a few times, but this caused no real harm. Just had to tune the Vega down a bit, this was with a 650watt power supply unit.

He has more watts and a superior model. He will be fine.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
A subjective
Thanks

Age is not subjective, capacitors age. There's a reason PC PSUs are usually only warrantied 5-7 years, and only the highest tier, most expensive lines are warrantied 10-12 years: they use much higher grade capacitors they can rely on lasting that many years.

Capacitors age regardless of electrical load, although heat is a factor in advancing the aging of capacitors.

You can use an older power supply and as long as there hasn't been a catastrophic capacitor or other component failure it may still deliver power, but the total power capability and hold up time will suffer.

When you have heavy loads, transient spikes, etc. an older power supply commonly will start to show problems due to aging.

It's become a common theme among the enthusiast community to not trust a power supply beyond it's given warranty since there is a strong correlation between capacitor/component quality, their longevity, and the given warranties.

Reactions: Makaveli

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
only the highest tier, most expensive lines are warrantied 10-12 years: they use much higher grade capacitors they can rely on lasting that many years

I purchased my EVGA 650w GQ 210-GQ-0650-V1 for $80 many a year ago (although these days it is $115). Hardly a top of the line unit. At the time it came with a 10 year warranty.

I would argue midrange units like the above mentioned PSU can easily make its warranty period and more.

The OPs power supply is a superior model to mine, he is using a EVGA Supernova 750 G+, which came with a 10 year warranty, high quality Japanese capacitors, premium fan, upgraded electronics focused on <1% deviation on all rails, and 80 plus gold rating. His power supply will easily function with this load for years to come.

Odds are that his pre-pandemic PSU is superior to a PSU made during this pandemic.

Capacitors age regardless of electrical load, although heat is a factor in advancing the aging of capacitors.
These midrange units have proper ventilation and non-Chinese Caps, the aging is not that big of an issue.

You can use an older power supply and as long as there hasn't been a catastrophic capacitor or other component failure it may still deliver power, but the total power capability and hold up time will suffer.
These units were purchased from a reputable brand and are still under warranty. It is unreasonable to think they would not meet spec.

When you have heavy loads, transient spikes, etc. an older power supply commonly will start to show problems due to aging.
I loaded my midrange 650 watt unit down with a rx6900xt (350 watt peak), a rx Vega 56 (312 watt peak), a 4790k (130 watts peak), and it had no problems associated with aging. Yes, its OCP did trigger as designed in a correct and harmless manner. And yes, I pushed it over its spec over and over as I experimented with just how far I could push it. Nothing bad ever happened. It is mining Eth to this day.

It's become a common theme among the enthusiast community to not trust a power supply beyond it's given warranty since there is a strong correlation between capacitor/component quality, their longevity, and the given warranties.

I feel compelled to point out the OPs "old" power supply is still within its warranty period.

I would also argue the community is wrong here, a midrange unit from a reputable manufacturer will last years to come.

Last edited:

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I feel compelled to point out the OPs "old" power supply is still within its warranty period.

Really? The XFX PRO750W came with a 5 year warranty. What year is it?

The OP can use it if they like. As I said before, my personal recommendation is to watch out for unexpected power downs or issues that could be due to the age of the power supply.

As for the XFX, if it's in working shape you'll just have to try it and see. Most likely if there's an issue it'll just be shutdowns or reboots while gaming or other heavy loads.

Also I was not criticizing your personal choice in power supplies. I am aware the market is moving toward using higher quality capacitors and components even for midrange units, and warrantying them longer and longer. However, an 8 year old mid range unit is well older than this trend.

I literally said the trend is for warranty length to reflect the component quality. Nobody's going to warranty something longer than they expect it to last.

Reactions: Makaveli

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Really? The XFX PRO750W came with a 5 year warranty. What year is it?

The OP can use it if they like. As I said before, my personal recommendation is to watch out for unexpected power downs or issues that could be due to the age of the power supply.
-blink-

Oh, he changed what he originally intended to use. I was thinking he was planning to use the EVGA SuperNova unit.

That XFX had a 3 year warranty when I just checked a moment ago. Did they downgrade the warranty mid run?

You are right, that XFX is a poor choice.

That XFX should go into the electronics recycling.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Justinus

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
-blink-

Oh, he changed what he originally intended to use. I was thinking he was planning to use the EVGA SuperNova unit.

That XFX had a 3 year warranty when I just checked a moment ago. Did they downgrade the warranty mid run?

You are right, that XFX should go straight into the electronics recycling.

Yeah, the OP's son robbed the EVGA 750G+. I just looked up a review from launch of the XFX units and it stated a 5 year warranty in the specs. It may not have been the most accurate info, or they may have reduced the warranty after they had failed units come in from the first batches. Hard to say.

Although an older unit like that may not have the best protections, it's a tough situation. If you had that new evga 750W G+ I'd say to use it without reservation.

We were going on about whether it made sense to use the 2013 XFX PRO750W. It did get kind of buried in the first page between large image posts. No contention on the EVGA being a good PSU.

Last edited:

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Age is not subjective, capacitors age. There's a reason PC PSUs are usually only warrantied 5-7 years, and only the highest tier, most expensive lines are warrantied 10-12 years: they use much higher grade capacitors they can rely on lasting that many years.
Just because it has x day warranty (Avg mean half life) nex day it will give it out.
Actually capacitors lives longer while they are in use in its working environment condition.
That thing go for any thing regardless their age and price. Any catastrophic failure to any thing will cause serious blow.
I see, I have never come across to any P/S. I also never try to go over 95% of their design load
It is subjective.
I have often see, people over budget the P/S needs.
I appreciate your input. I have learn how other people see thing differently.
I really value your opinion

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Perhaps I use mine it for a week to see if cause a reboot or lock up :eek:
Well I am being serious
:rolleyes:
Your 6900xt costs $1500 to replace. Quite the roll of the dice you are making.

Reboots or lock ups probably will not happen. You have more then enough wattage to cover the load.

If it goes wrong all you will get is a black screen one day, and that will be the end.

Good luck.

Actually capacitors lives longer while they are in use in its working environment condition.
That XFX unit you have advertises it has good Japanese capacitors. That is unlikely to be the point of failure or an issue.

What it is missing is:
Over Current Protection
Over Voltage Protection
Under Voltage Protection
Over Power Protection
Over Temperature Protection

On the upside, no need to worry about the PSU false faulting on a transient power spike from a newer GPU.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Perhaps I use mine it for a week to see if cause a reboot or lock up :eek:
Well I am being serious
:rolleyes:

This is a rather sketchy way to go about it. After spending that much on a GPU, I would spend the money on a PSU that won't potentially kill the GPU.

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Your 6900xt costs $1500 to replace. Quite the roll of the dice you are making.

Reboots or lock ups probably will not happen. You have more then enough wattage to cover the load.

If it goes wrong all you will get is a black screen one day, and that will be the end.

Good luck.

That XFX unit you have advertises it has good Japanese capacitors. That is unlikely to be the point of failure or an issue.

What it is missing is:
Over Current Protection
Over Voltage Protection
Under Voltage Protection
Over Power Protection
Over Temperature Protection

On the upside, no need to worry about the PSU false faulting on a transient power spike from a newer GPU.
It does have have OVP, UVP, OCP, and OTP , I don't know what is Over Power Protection (OPP) is

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
60+ MH/s isn't bad. Yes, it is not as good as 3090 or 3080, but it is still better than 5700XT and many other cards. I think this is largely because of the memory bandwidth. The question is, how much power are you using at that hashrate? Are you underclocking and undervolting the core? Also what miner are you using?

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
60+ MH/s isn't bad. Yes, it is not as good as 3090 or 3080, but it is still better than 5700XT and many other cards. I think this is largely because of the memory bandwidth. The question is, how much power are you using at that hashrate? Are you underclocking and undervolting the core? Also what miner are you using?
Yea, Miner is PhoenixMiner 5.7d.
GPUz indicate 140 W Chip draw.
I know this is 40% less then RTX 3080
I didn't bought this card to do mine......... I am glad it can do mine ;)
P.S. is still holding up

I am not under clocking or undervolting it6900XT.JPG