6700XT distributed computing results

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
I setup wu prop. Probably going to mess up the numbers by running in eco mode on the 5950 and reduced power limit on the 6700XT, but maybe someone will get some use out of it.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Another way to run multiple MilkyWay tasks at once on the same GPU is via multiple BOINC instances. This method has got the extra effect that it eliminates the delay between finishing one mini batch of tasks and being able to fetch the next set of tasks, provided that the BOINC instances fetch at different times, not simultaneously.

Reactions: biodoc

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Milky way WUs come in at 83 sec +/- 1 sec. Average across last 10 most recent 227.53 credit WUs was 83.751 sec.

I just switched the card to Einstein.

Reactions: Assimilator1

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Just running one task at a time. I would need a refresher on how to setup multiple WUs at once.
I’ll look into WUProp
Before running multiple ones at a time, can you post an averaged of at least 5 227.5x credits MW WUs? [edit] Lol, you read my mind, or my benchmarking thread ;)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Milky way WUs come in at 83 sec +/- 1 sec. Average across last 10 most recent 227.53 credit WUs was 83.751 sec.

I just switched the card to Einstein.
What CPU are you running that with?
And what power or clock settings did you run that with in the end?

Last edited:

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
What CPU are you running that with?
And what power or clock settings did you run that with in the end?
5950x in eco mode running 30 threads of Rosetta and one idle CPU to handle video card.

the video card itself is at power target -6, and -25millivolt, but it still stays at 2500mhz pretty much all the time.

All of the MW work Units were run with this configuration.

Reactions: Assimilator1

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
From what I recall Einstein runs well on AMD cards(or at least some) - I'd be interested in seeing that. PPS Sieve, and some of the other various Primegrid projects would be interesting too. I was going to suggest Milkyway@home, but I can't find any double precision specs on it so I don't think it will run MW at all but you could attempt it. Even accounting for OpenCL instead of the higher PPD CUDA F@H app though that seems much lower than I would have expected on F@H so hopefully it evens out after running some more.
How would you like me to report Einstein results? I'm probably going to let it run over the weekend (I'm going to go for 1M points in the project) and you should be able to look at my stats in Einstein, but if there as a valuable way for me to report it, I'll do that.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Looking at the stats is good enough for me, but maybe average task duration and PPD would be helpful to post? I haven't ran Einstein in awhile so I'm not sure if the tasks are all the same points or not. On a more subjective note - I was curious if you like the card, and are happy with the PPD/watt on various projects, as well as gaming performance(if you use it for that), etc.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Looking at the stats is good enough for me, but maybe average task duration and PPD would be helpful to post? I haven't ran Einstein in awhile so I'm not sure if the tasks are all the same points or not. On a more subjective note - I was curious if you like the card, and are happy with the PPD/watt on various projects, as well as gaming performance(if you use it for that), etc.
From a DC perspective, the card is OK, not amazing, especially for the price - I think my old 1660 Super got better points / watt in F@H than the 6700XT. At MSRP it would be better, but I paid a fair amount over MSRP to get it through the new egg shuffle, and I got stuck with a Motherboard I had no interest in.

I haven't had a chance to really do any gaming with it yet - in a very brief session it seemed to be better than my old 1080ti, but I wouldn't say its a whole different experience.

Given the option, I would probably not purchase with the stupid MB bundle, and wait it out for a 6900XT or a 3080Ti.