6700K hits MSRP on Newegg!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
"K" SKU sales have been quarter after quarter hitting record highs. Try again.

I was under the impression that their i7-6700K was reaching a record high of SKU mix, but that their overall CPU volume for consumer was down.

Less people are buying, but of those that are, more of them are buying the upper-tier SKUs.

Mar 10, 2006
I was under the impression that their i7-6700K was reaching a record high of SKU mix, but that their overall CPU volume for consumer was down.

Less people are buying, but of those that are, more of them are buying the upper-tier SKUs.

Overall CPU volume is down but it has nothing to do w/ the segmentation that you complained about. For most people, the PCs that they have work fine and/or their tablets/phones work fine, so they're not upgrading as often (or even buying PCs at all).

If the demand isn't there, it isn't there. There's nothing that Intel can do, the PC market really is toast outside of niche areas in which performance actually matters. If there were some "easy" fix that Intel could do by just repricing some SKUs and enabling some features that would drive PC sales up again, you can bet that they would do it.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Overall CPU volume is down but it has nothing to do w/ the segmentation that you complained about. For most people, the PCs that they have work fine and/or their tablets/phones work fine, so they're not upgrading as often (or even buying PCs at all).

If the demand isn't there, it isn't there. There's nothing that Intel can do, the PC market really is toast outside of niche areas in which performance actually matters. If there were some "easy" fix that Intel could do by just repricing some SKUs and enabling some features that would drive PC sales up again, you can bet that they would do it.
Shipping Skylake with an EDRAM controller but not one SKU with EDRAM was a decision Intel made to withhold EDRAM's performance benefits for gaming for Kaby Lake.

That is segmentation — designed to try to entice people to spend more to upgrade Skylake parts to Kaby Lake parts. Otherwise, if you want EDRAM you have to buy into an EOL socket.

Mar 10, 2006
Shipping Skylake with an EDRAM controller but not one SKU with EDRAM was a decision Intel made to withhold EDRAM's performance benefits for gaming for Kaby Lake.

That is segmentation — designed to try to entice people to spend more to upgrade Skylake parts to Kaby Lake parts. Otherwise, if you want EDRAM you have to buy into an EOL socket.

Kaby Lake won't have eDRAM for the gaming SKUs; it'll be a Skylake SKU coming out alongside Kaby Lake.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Yeah, Intel is taking a page from NVidia's playbook. Release crippled (or midrange SKUs) first, at full high-end prices, then release a "new" gen, that's really just the "full" SKUs (EDRAM for KBL, fully-monty dies for NV), for even more $$$.

It's really manipulative, and coercive.

Consumers should boycott. I'm thinking strongly of a Zen 8C/16T rig when it's released, and a Polaris GPU.

Mar 10, 2006
Consumers should boycott. I'm thinking strongly of a Zen 8C/16T rig when it's released, and a Polaris GPU.

Why are you telling us this? Nobody cares what you spend your money on, it's your money. Just buy whatever you want, man, and enjoy it. Play some games on that Zen/Polaris setup when you get it.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I'm thinking strongly of a Zen 8C/16T rig when it's released.
I doubt, it will be cheap though. But you need to invest heavily at one point, so maybe this should be a good start for ya.

Sabertooth AM4 mobo + 4 x 8 GB DDR4 + GPU. If you sell all of your gear, it might even be a free upgrade for you.

Play some games on that Zen/Polaris setup when you get it.
He will be able to do his DC projects alongside gaming. A win win for Larry.

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Four modules is always a bad idea and Zen is not an exception. 2x16GB ftw :)
I've heard Zen features a quad DDR4 controller. Can you quad with just a couple of sticks? Please educate me.

If Zen requires 4 sticks for quad operation, 4x16 would be my pick (4x8 = budget option). Otherwise, of course 2x16 > 4x8 if both sets could do quad channel memory, somehow.

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I've heard Zen features a quad DDR4 controller. Can you quad with just a couple of sticks? Please educate me.

If Zen requires 4 sticks for quad operation, 4x16 would be my pick (4x8 = budget option). Otherwise, of course 2x16 > 4x8 if both sets could do quad channel memory, somehow.

I thought AM4 is a dual channel platform?

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004

4790K was already close to outselling 4690K by 2x on Amazon nearly 2 years ago. Most builders (aka the people who are wise enough to pick CPUs without asking on forums) would rather pay more for a highly clocked stock chip with HT than overhyped OCing the tech press loves to jerk off about.

How long Intel can keep i7 sales up is another question.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Summit Ridge is a dual channel design.
The AM4 socket is likely to support more than 2 memory channels with the right CPU, though. Would be cool, actually if you didn't have to swap boards all the time (i.e. 115x vs 2011).

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
The AM4 socket is likely to support more than 2 memory channels with the right CPU, though. Would be cool, actually if you didn't have to swap boards all the time (i.e. 115x vs 2011).

The socket only supports 2 channels from all diagrams seen. But that belongs in another thread ;)