65+" tv?

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
I just moved into my first house and the family room is quite large. The main seating is 15 feet from where the tv would be set up. This distance requires substantially more than a 65" screen but I have only found two that meet this size constraint that cost less than 20k$. Mitsubishi dlps and panasonic plasma 85". The tv is for general hdtv watching. The room cannot be made to be dark, so projectors are out. Movies will be in my not yet completed dedicated theater in the basement.

Any suggestions and personal experiences with 80+" tv's? Perhaps 65" ledlcd tv is good enough for general use?

Thanks as always!

Right now it seems to be a choice between a 65" lcd vs. 82"dlp...

Last edited:

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Either Mitsubishi dlp if you have to (they arent great), they are getting really big now like 90". Or just get a really good 65" screen and sit closer or deal with it being far away. You have very few options with your limitations.

Panny VT25 or 30 plasma
Samsung C8000 plasma or lcd
LG PX950 series
Mitsubishi crap... 82 73 65

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Go check out a DLP in person. I have zero regrets and would definitely buy another one.

The recent generations are much improved compared to what was available 5 years ago, good viewing angles, good brightness, etc.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
I just moved into my first house and the family room is quite large. The main seating is 15 feet from where the tv would be set up. This distance requires substantially more than a 65" screen but I have only found two that meet this size constraint that cost less than 20k$. Mitsubishi dlps and panasonic plasma 85". The tv is for general hdtv watching. The room cannot be made to be dark, so projectors are out. Movies will be in my not yet completed dedicated theater in the basement.

Any suggestions and personal experiences with 80+" tv's? Perhaps 65" ledlcd tv is good enough for general use?

Thanks as always!

Right now it seems to be a choice between a 65" lcd vs. 82"dlp...

Wait for downstairs...if you need a giant in the living room put it on the wall.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
I need a common use tv in the large family room immediately. The theater won't be done for three years since requires a significant amount of funds for this project as I am going all out on the theater equipment and theater room.

Right now, I have an old 52" sony bravia and it is too small. I also have a 54" panny which had a nicer picture but still too small.

Most guides say I need at least 80" screen, while the conservative sites say 65" might be ok...

Why not wait for hte home theater in the basement to splurge?

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Also, I haven't been able to find any stores that stock working large dlp tv, so I cannot audition them side by side against plasma or led-lcd sadly.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
I need a common use tv in the large family room immediately. The theater won't be done for three years since requires a significant amount of funds for this project as I am going all out on the theater equipment and theater room.

Right now, I have an old 52" sony bravia and it is too small. I also have a 54" panny which had a nicer picture but still too small.

Most guides say I need at least 80" screen, while the conservative sites say 65" might be ok...

I wouldn't look at guides. You are talking about your living room, not a dedicated viewing area. Go on any parade of homes and tell me how many of the houses have 80" TV's in the living room.

TV's that big and projectors are made for dedicated viewing rooms not common rooms.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
you do bring up some good points. Thanks for the reality check.

I wouldn't look at guides. You are talking about your living room, not a dedicated viewing area. Go on any parade of homes and tell me how many of the houses have 80" TV's in the living room.

TV's that big and projectors are made for dedicated viewing rooms not common rooms.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
honestly this is the wrong place to ask, go to avsforum.

something is weird about your room or you live in a castle if you have 15 feet between a wall and your couch.

if it has the back against the wall making it that far, common furnishing mistake, putting the couch against the wall, makes the room look awkward and messes with your tv setup as well, move it forward quite a bit.
http://www.harveysfurniture.co.uk/n...niture-against-a-wall--is-a-big-mistake-.aspx

Last edited:

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
I am an avid poster at avs but I posted here for common sense responses. Avs is great for ultimate type responses. My seating is not against the wall, I have set it up using basic acoustical principals (0.33-0.42 of total acoustical length dimension). Compared to my old apartment, this house is bigger. It is not a castle, but the family room is 25x21x9 which is open behind the couch to the kitchen.

honestly this is the wrong place to ask, go to avsforum.

something is weird about your room or you live in a castle if you have 15 feet between a wall and your couch.

if it has the back against the wall making it that far, common furnishing mistake, putting the couch against the wall, makes the room look awkward and messes with your tv setup as well, move it forward quite a bit.
http://www.harveysfurniture.co.uk/n...niture-against-a-wall--is-a-big-mistake-.aspx

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
Personally I would just live with the 54" in the living room for now or just get a 65" plasma. You are right it is too small but like Yoxxy said its your living room so you have to accept some compromises.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I have a 56" DLP and went and saw some of the 83" at Ultimate Electronics. They are absolutely stunning. Larger TV's only look too big for a room when they are turned off.