Info 64MB V-Cache on 5XXX Zen3 Average +15% in Games

Page 120 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
Well we know now how they will bridge the long wait to Zen4 on AM5 Q4 2022.
Production start for V-cache is end this year so too early for Zen4 so this is certainly coming to AM4.
+15% Lisa said is "like an entire architectural generation"

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Gideon

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
Why not game at 2160 rather than 4K? Seems like a bit of a stretch when not long ago it was 1024 versus 1280, then we suddenly started talking in television terms. Monitor manufacturers trying to scale out stuff way too fast for the videocard hardware limitations. 4K monitors can support 2K, so it makes more sense to me. Even though people insist you cannot see the difference between 60fps and 120fps, thats not true. Our brains all sync to different key frames and different people have completely different abilities to process. People used to use zoom to give 360 fov in games and it drastically reduced their need to process what they saw. The eyeball has the ability to only really see a small focal point in detail and those details fall off in the periphery. So regardless if its 1080 or 8k, your eyes see the same lack of detail outside the focal cone.
What is 2160 other than 4K? I am not following.
And anyway most games play fine at 4K on current (theoretically) $700 video cards.

A lot of games I play are pretty slow. Think Civilization or other map-focused games. Focal cone and periphery are not that important when you often slowly move your eyes over the situation. Maps look much better when rendered with higher resolution.

Last edited:

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
I was actually thinking of moving to 5K for that reason. As a bonus it'll scale 1440p perfectly (2880p) for FPS 3D games.
If anything existed, I'd consider it too. In my opinion, Apple has the right approach to monitor resolutions. 5K is ideal for 27" (at 200% scaling for desktop use) and 6K for 32". They are too expensive and bad for gaming but I appreciate their dedication to good DPI displays.

But I digress.

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Just wondering if large cache cpu's could become important down the track for good performance in games. Multithreaded game engines likes 6 cores nowadays, but in the past they were happy with a single high speed thread.

Which is why AMD's Piledriver did ok in games for much longer than the Intel cpu that 'beat it' it at the time.

Could the same happen with the 5800X3D? 'Unreasonable' good performance long into the future? I guess it would depend in folks in Unity and Unreal Engine would adopt large cache cpu's as a valid 'platform target' as such.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Just wondering if large cache cpu's could become important down the track for good performance in games. Multithreaded game engines likes 6 cores nowadays, but in the past they were happy with a single high speed thread.

We already know that it's important now for good performance in games.

Also, most games still benefit from being able to have a single core boost quite a bit higher. Multiple cores have become necessary as well, but we can still see plenty of results where despite that, there's still a lot of benefit from having a higher single core frequency.

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
Which is why AMD's Piledriver did ok in games for much longer than the Intel cpu that 'beat it' it at the time.
Hyperthreaded Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge still do better in games today (and even compete pretty well against Zen 1). Their superior per-core performance meant that even two Piledriver "cores" could only match a HTed Bridge core with two threads.

Reactions: ondma and RnR_au

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Hyperthreaded Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge still do better in games today (and even compete pretty well against Zen 1). Their superior per-core performance meant that even two Piledriver "cores" could only match a HTed Bridge core with two threads.
Cheers... looks like I need to kill off that urban myth from my brain.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Not sure how fair of a comparison it is to use an i7 against Bulldozer. The 8350 was a sub-$200 CPU when it launched, which puts it squarely in the i5 bracket and those only had 4 threads. Here's someone who put it up against an i5 3470, which was comparable in price.

The 8350 tends to do better in the more recent titles that tend to make better use of the cores. Even then it's not a case that the i5 is losing that badly and the 8350 was using considerably more power (almost 100W) so even if I had a time machine to go back with what we know now I couldn't really recommend it to anyone.

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008
They should have done this from the beginning. Allow Curve Optimiser to work but only with negative voltages.

May need some sort of flag in the software to detect the 5800X3D and disable positive voltage ofsets. Would also require that it is not easily fooled into thinking the 3D is a non 3D part. Also maybe that AMD didn't want to promise something until they knew they could get it done and they didn't want to push the release back further either.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Didn't they already say the design was niche and existed only because of some internal to the company research made it plausible? Sounds like an engineer suped up a chip 'just because' and its result was impressive enough to have caught on. Have to let researchers push limits to see where things lead.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
However well (or not) the Ryzen 7 5800X3D performs, it’s certainly an interesting new addition to the Ryzen 7 5000-series product line for us to chew on, while we eagerly await the arrival of Zen 4, AM5, and Ryzen 7000 to take on Intel's strong showing with its latest Core CPUs.
The Performance On Flight Simulator is Otherworldly. And not only there. There are Games where the Boost is like getting a top tier GPU Upgrade(which is very difficult now a days due to High price and availability of GPUs)

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
The Performance On Flight Simulator is Otherworldly. And not only there. There are Games where the Boost is like getting a top tier GPU Upgrade(which is very difficult now a days due to High price and availability of GPUs)

So maybe this is what the extra cache really helps with. Games that juggle lots of data real-time.

Microsoft Game Dev - Microsoft Flight Simulator: The Future of Game Development | Microsoft Developer
For developers across the ecosystem (and not just gaming), Microsoft Flight Simulator represents nothing less than a new paradigm for creating cloud-enabled experiences that utilize multiple big data sources, massive cloud-based processing and storage in the Azure architecture, and AI-enabled high-fidelity user realism. Just as important, it offers all of this with a development model that greatly reduces the effort and cost of delivering highly detailed simulation. The call to action for game and simulation developers is clear: by enabling an offering like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, Azure raises the quality and capabilities bar sky-high but simultaneously brings the ability to create these sorts of high-quality experiences within reach of many first- and third-party developers today.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
For developers across the ecosystem (and not just gaming), Microsoft Flight Simulator represents nothing less than a new paradigm for creating cloud-enabled experiences that utilize multiple big data sources, massive cloud-based processing and storage in the Azure architecture, and AI-enabled high-fidelity user realism. Just as important, it offers all of this with a development model that greatly reduces the effort and cost of delivering highly detailed simulation. The call to action for game and simulation developers is clear: by enabling an offering like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, Azure raises the quality and capabilities bar sky-high but simultaneously brings the ability to create these sorts of high-quality experiences within reach of many first- and third-party developers today.

Buzzword bingo? I think they got them all.