Info 64MB V-Cache on 5XXX Zen3 Average +15% in Games

Page 132 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
Well we know now how they will bridge the long wait to Zen4 on AM5 Q4 2022.
Production start for V-cache is end this year so too early for Zen4 so this is certainly coming to AM4.
+15% Lisa said is "like an entire architectural generation"

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Gideon

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
5800X3D looks like an incredible CPU for a DTR!
Some great analysis from Derbauer. I thought the undervolting results were interesting to say the least. Basically, 5800X3D offers incredible gaming perf/W at stock and undervolt settings, while Alderlake loses a lot of efficiency at stock clocks, a sign that it's clocked well past the efficiency curve. Once undervolted, Alderlake does a great job at perf/W as well.
1651723259039.png

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Shouldn't he be just a tad bit concerned about electrostatocuting chips with that huge furry monster on the table? Or is there some procedure to de-electrostat a cat's fur that I'm not aware of?

Death can't kill your chips if you don't know what a scythe is. I kid.

Death carries a scythe.

Last edited:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I think it's a great send off to AM4. It's got the 5900/5950 CPUs for the real "workloads" and this "gaming" CPU that's super solid for gaming and should age well against the next gen i7/i9 as well. I notice that the article above really avoided mentioning the i9 and was suggesting going B660/12700 as a way to create a cost advantage for Intel.

I feel like a lot of serious builders are going to see $200+ as a real spot to get serious on shopping for Z690 boards due to power considerations whereas the 5800X3D is going to be just fine in any B550/B450 board that's got firmware support and the cache hides ram that's less than godly better than previous Zen 3 cpus.

$450 is a lot in many ways, but isn't this where the (too expensive!) 5800x started?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I think it's a great send off to AM4. It's got the 5900/5950 CPUs for the real "workloads" and this "gaming" CPU that's super solid for gaming and should age well against the next gen i7/i9 as well. I notice that the article above really avoided mentioning the i9 and was suggesting going B660/12700 as a way to create a cost advantage for Intel.

I feel like a lot of serious builders are going to see $200+ as a real spot to get serious on shopping for Z690 boards due to power considerations whereas the 5800X3D is going to be just fine in any B550/B450 board that's got firmware support and the cache hides ram that's less than godly better than previous Zen 3 cpus.

$450 is a lot in many ways, but isn't this where the (too expensive!) 5800x started?
The 1800x, the first in the x800x series, was $500. The 1700x was $400. I remember, as I got one of each

Reactions: Drazick and Zepp

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

Don't get me started on how bad Ozzy Steve's review was. Too late! ;) The whole - average performance percentage, frames per dollar, and fantasy land pricing it's based on, is abusing statistical data aka lies, damned lies, and statistics. He has gone full derp with how he rationalizes his conclusions via hardware choices/pairings too. And as I ranted in another thread, he left MSFS out of the testing because it is nerfed on his 12th gen, but makes no mention of it. A huge red flag given how the 3D performs in it. If you didn't catch him say that in the one vid comparing Ryzen only, you'd have no idea it was even an issue. And a game breaking issue is something more than simply noteworthy.

And he can produce all the bar charts he wants. Testing games without actually playing games can't go away fast enough for me at this point. It has grown to be the worst example of tactics to sell hardware, and push vendor specific features and goods. I think the only game he plays is fortnite, need I say more? :p

The 3D is an impressive swan song for AM4. That it does it all on so little power, and will work in a 4yr+ old board, is the real coup de grace.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
The 1800X at $500 was a pittance compared to what Intel was charging for more than 4 cores at the time. Being able to have 8 cores without needed a more expensive HEDT board on top of the much lower price compared to the competition meant that it was a great value even at $500.

Even the $330 1700 was able to hang with Intel's 8-core HEDT offering in some benchmarks. One third the price, half the power, same performance.

85881.png

Zen completely changed the market. So much so that what ~$500 should get you for a CPU also changed, significantly. The $450 that the 5800X launched at wasn't considered a good value which is why it was the one that was pretty much always in stock. It was better value for money to either pay $150 less for a 5600X that was just as good for gamers or most other users or an extra $100 to step up to the 5900X which gave you an additional 4 cores and would easily win in any applications that could leverage them.

I think the 5800X3D can justify its $450 price tag, and it seems like consumers generally agree since it's nowhere near as easy to get as a 5800X was when it first launched.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017

The 1800X at $500 was a pittance compared to what Intel was charging for more than 4 cores at the time. Being able to have 8 cores without needed a more expensive HEDT board on top of the much lower price compared to the competition meant that it was a great value even at $500.

Even the $330 1700 was able to hang with Intel's 8-core HEDT offering in some benchmarks. One third the price, half the power, same performance.

85881.png

Zen completely changed the market. So much so that what ~$500 should get you for a CPU also changed, significantly. The $450 that the 5800X launched at wasn't considered a good value which is why it was the one that was pretty much always in stock. It was better value for money to either pay $150 less for a 5600X that was just as good for gamers or most other users or an extra $100 to step up to the 5900X which gave you an additional 4 cores and would easily win in any applications that could leverage them.

I think the 5800X3D can justify its $450 price tag, and it seems like consumers generally agree since it's nowhere near as easy to get as a 5800X was when it first launched.
AM4 had a good run if there ever was one for a single platform indeed. To think that it launched with Bristol Ridge.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Booted, changed xmp profile, changed fan profile, got to windows, rebooted, change fan profile again. got D0 code. Tried with different sets of memory and video card. Tried another motherboard. It's dead jim

Since I'm at the pub I'll have a pint in its honor.

Poor 5800X3D, we hardly knew ye! May your current ever flow in the electrical fields of Elysium.

🍺

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Booted, changed xmp profile, changed fan profile, got to windows, rebooted, change fan profile again. got D0 code. Tried with different sets of memory and video card. Tried another motherboard. It's dead jim

Aww man that is really rough to hear. Any bent pins you can see? I got to use a DSLR to help find a bent pin on my old Z97 board, and it was a lifesaver. No way I could have seen it easily without magnification.

I was doing some live stream tests at 1440p30 using x264 encode on the 5800X3D while playing some games (1080 ti encoder is really bad). I ended up using veryfast encode, but using slower encoding got my temps up to 90C without PBO2 Tuner. Really impressed at how well games still run while streaming on x264.

Am stable at -30mv per core which is night and day difference in temps when under max load.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Aww man that is really rough to hear. Any bent pins you can see? I got to use a DSLR to help find a bent pin on my old Z97 board, and it was a lifesaver. No way I could have seen it easily without magnification.

I was doing some live stream tests at 1440p30 using x264 encode on the 5800X3D while playing some games (1080 ti encoder is really bad). I ended up using veryfast encode, but using slower encoding got my temps up to 90C without PBO2 Tuner. Really impressed at how well games still run while streaming on x264.

Am stable at -30mv per core which is night and day difference in temps when under max load.

There isn't a bent pin. It died between reboots after changing a fan profile.

Feel free to check though

zenpin3d.jpg