640X480 Digital Camera for $50 after $30 staples mail in rebate. ( 3-17-01and 3-18-01only)

Jan 29, 2001
Supports 1024x768 interpolated pics.
Built in 8-meg memory, comes with usb cable, batteries, stand.
This is a B+M only I think.
This camera apparently works well in good lighting conditions.
Perfect for photos of auction items.
I haven't seen any digital cameras cheaper than this.
Some reviews
Here

I got my local manager to hold one w/rebate form until this sunday for me.

Sorry if this is double post but I searched and didn't see it.

I want to give credit to whoever linked the staples ads on idealwiz.

Check out page 14.jpg for details

bambam

Oct 28, 1999
2 gotchas - internal memory (non-removable) and AAA (much lower capacity than AA) batteries but for the price...a deal - and I guess its still a step better than the Agfa CL18 I bought at OD for $35 after rebate in Dec. Time to look for some high capacity AAA rechargable batteries.

MisterE

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2000
jtthebiggafigga, can you post a link to the camera at Staples' website? I can't seem to find it.

bladerunner8

Banned
Oct 26, 2000
8MB hmm not too bad Coolpix 990 comes w/16 [removable]. No flash is a problem, but that's what eats the battries so might be trade-off. Yeah, a novelty photo item and want to take web pics at night like I do, just prepare for spotlighting. Have 1 of D-Links webcams and it looks like a nice, state-of-art product entir. based on USB. And this digicam presumes to subsume the webcam functions as well.

HaVoC

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
For taking auction pics under very bright lights this might be worth it. Otherwise the lack of flash will make it essentially useless indoors. I don't know if it can sync with an external flash. The difference in light levels between indoors and outdoors is extreme, so outdoors in daylight it might work nicely.

fornax

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I bought it and returned it. The video mode was not bad (even under low light), but the still pictures were extremely poor. It would have been a nice camera for the price if it weren't for the poor still pictures. It had two nice features: variable focus and 8MB built-in memory (enough for many tens of pictures).

Jan 29, 2001
In order to get decent still pics you need to hold your hands really dang still.
This camera seems to have a real long exposure time, or f-stop or whatever.
Hard for me as I am a caffiene and nicotine fiend, but for $50, oh well

Richard98

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2001
Assuming it's not on sale yet (Doesn't it normally sell for 99.xx), you could buy something small to get to $100 then use the printed $20 off $100 coupon, bringing the total down to $100 -$20 (Coupon) - $20 (Refund next week)- $30 (MIR) = $30. I'm probably going to exchange the mymailist software from the palm 3 deal to sweeten it a little further.

Anyone have any opinions on whether this would be a decent webcam? Improvement over a Logitech Quickcam? They advertise that it can be used for this purpose.

fornax

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I took the pictures with the camera mounted on a small tripod -- same result. The pictures were VERY grainy -- as though the sensor was covered with a lot of dust.