64*c running prime95 maximun heat stress test

Nov 26, 2005
I'm currently running Prime95 using the maximum heat stress test and have peaked at 64*c using Core Temp and readings from Real Temp have peaked around 59*c

Should I try another stability test or is that decent. I've heard Linpack is a good stress tester for maximizing things...

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
Originally posted by: BTRY B 529th FA BN
how long will the 5 tests in linpack take?

Depends on the ammount of ram you have. For my 8gig it takes about 30min to do 5 tests.
Linpack stresses the cpu a lot more than prime which results in temps 10+C higher. (except for e2*** cpus, for some reason it doesn't work, might be the 1mb cache?).
Sometimes my comp would be stable for 18 hours prime and would fail Linpack in a couple of tests.

Nov 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Dark Cupcake

Depends on the ammount of ram you have. For my 8gig it takes about 30min to do 5 tests.
Linpack stresses the cpu a lot more than prime which results in temps 10+C higher. (except for e2*** cpus, for some reason it doesn't work, might be the 1mb cache?).
Sometimes my comp would be stable for 18 hours prime and would fail Linpack in a couple of tests.

Prime95; In Place large FFTs produced more heat on my machine than Linpack did ...seen 64 using prime and rarely touched 60's with Linpack

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
nobody uses p95 anymore, except to do long term testing to test for PSU stability to see if it can hold the load.
for CPU stability there are much better and faster tests out there.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008

for me, on a 4400+ X2 with 1 GB RAM, linpack produced the same temperatures as Prime, but with an E8500 with 4 GB RAM, linpack produces about 15-20C more than Prime

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005

Prime95; In Place large FFTs produced more heat on my machine than Linpack did ...seen 64 using prime and rarely touched 60's with Linpack

Thats interesting cause on both my quads and an old laptop e7500 linpack heats the cpu up about 10C more than prime. On two e2180s and one e2200 I tested linpack produced temps no where near what prime did (Prime ~ 60s and linpack was in 50s)

I always just assumed it was cause of the small cache, looks like it could be something else. Funny thing is keeping everything equal and changing the cpu yelded same results, on about 3 systems :confused: