60Hz vs 120Hz and 144Hz for gaming

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
So I been thinking... I see absolutely no difference between running at 120Hz and 60Hz.

Never had a chance to try 144 Hz yet.

Is it something you only notice when playing FPS games? I mostly play RTS, RPG and a mix of FPS/Action like The Division but not something like Battlefield or Counter Strike.

I certainly don't see any difference in games like Fallout 4 or Company of Heroes 2.

Also, for someone who gets a 144 Hz monitor for FPS gaming, should that person achieve 144 fps in said game to benefit? I am assuming if you are getting a max of something like 38 fps and use a 144 Hz monitor, you are throwing your money away?

Pookums

Mar 6, 2017
FPS games are noticeable, however it is possible to easily notice the difference in higher Hz on any occasion. Its possible to do experiments and say with certainty that until we reach 1000hz with true sub 1ms latency people will be able to notice, if they maintain a limited focus. 360hz is probably the big visual leap.

If you want a simple method of realizing hz assuming there is no bug or OS limit(some get stuck at 120hz), just use the mouse on desktop. Move it around in circles and look at the distance between the trail of realized mouse cursors(easiest), and if you want the exact amount, practice trying to perform around 3 circles as large as you can in one second and keep repeating until you can count the number of mouse cursors that you can visually see in only one circle and multiply by 3.

3 circles in one second is easy to realize at 144hz or less. You can complete a single continuous circle in one second, however you wont be able to count the visual mouse trail even at 60hz. You can also do more than 3 circles, however making too many rotations too quickly can also make it difficult to count.

Doing the three circle experiment above on your desktop screen:
- 60hz setting you will see around 20 mouse in one circle.
- 120hz -> 40 mouse
- 144hz -> approximately 48

This is the most readily available method that you can accomplish and backup with math and realize its relation to visual integrity of monitor refresh rates.

---------------------

http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/
https://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

These tests can help you compare differences in a visual space.

However, you will only be able to visualize from your refresh rate and below. They do nothing to help you perceive future developments.

-----------------------

I like the desktop method because you notice the spatial differences between the mouse cursors, and each increase in hz will decrease the space between mouse cursor trails interpreted by your eyes. This helps an observer calculate and mentally perceive future developments. IE - if there is a 1inch space between 2 corresponding mouse cursors in a trail using high motion speed at 60hz, then there would be a 0.5 inch space between 2 mouse cursors in the trail at 120hz, 0.25 inch at 240hz, and 0.125 inch at 480hz, etc.

NOTE*** I am not talking about turning on "MOUSE TRAILS." I am describing what visually occurs when moving a cursor at high speed on a screen.

RPG/ACTION games can also be more fluid with high refresh rate monitors, however it depends entirely on how quickly units or action occurs ACROSS a screen. MOBAs would likely see zero benefit beyond 120hz. 2d or 3d Fighting Games and TPS games with cameras behind a character CAN benefit from Higher refresh rate monitors. High refresh rate monitors mostly help you perceive FAST actions and motion.

Reactions: ibex333

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
144hz feels like a slideshow to me. YMMV. Anyway...

When running below max without any sync, higher hz still is better. 38fps on a 144hz panel has less tearing than 38fps on 60hz. Though if you're not sensitive to tearing I guess you could not really notice.

If you can't notice 60hz Sync vs 120hz Sync, then I don't know what to tell you. Good for you, I guess? Don't need to spend monies for the framerate.

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
Does a higher refresh rate bring any benefit to movie watching? Is there less motion blur as a result of higher refresh? Does that make objects look sharper when the camera pans across a scene, or just seem smoother?

dsc106

May 31, 2012
I am running a GTX 1080 TI. I couldn't decide on a monitor, so I just purchased two monitors (I do pro video work, as well as gaming). I got the Asus PA329q and Asus PG279q and have them both running side by side and have just tried some games. My initial impressions (and for anyone with more experience here, please feel free to give ME feedback too!):

G-Sync monitors are the real sell of the high refresh rate. And to my eye, it makes a big difference in faster paced FPS games. I seem to notice the most difference with G-sync when a game is actually struggling to hold 60fps. It really smooths out frame rates between 45-90 as they jump all around, you can barely even tell, and it's only perfectly smooth. The faster refresh rate also makes games seem a little less cinematic in some ways and more ultra-realistic - hyper smooth motion, etc. Whereas keeping the frame-rate locked to 60 with v-sync can introduce a bit more blur to my eye, which can seem more movie-like in terms of motion blur. But I haven't tested that super thoroughly.

I really love my 4K for work of course, but it's also great in a LOT of games where high refresh rate or v-sync doesn't matter. Adventure games, RPGs (think Torment: Numenera, Day of the Tentacle Remastered, etc.) but I also really like it on Hitman Absolution. For Prey and Dishonored 2, I just tried G-Sync high refresh 27" back to back with the 32" maxed out. The 4K struggles maxed out and so the G-Sync looks much better/smoother with 1440p.

One thing I have noticed but have yet to test thoroughly: If a game does not struggle on framerate at all and will sit at 60fps capped out, v-sync off and maxed at 60 with no g-sync doesn't seem to make too big a difference? I played Grid 2 on the 4K at 60fps perfectly capped (the GPU is outputting at 100fps+) with v-sync off and noticed no screen tearing and didn't feel a need for faster framerate. I didn't test back to back on the 27" g-sync but I think I'll prefer the immersion of the 32" for gaming.

However I tried Far Cry 4 maxed out at on the 1440p G-Sync I go from 45fps-90fps and I can't imagine that would be a great experience on 4K, maybe if I turned the details down to keep the framerate up?

I tried Overwatch at 4k 60fps maxed and it seemed to play really well, not quite as crisp smooth as G-Sync 1440p, but I didn't notice it to be determintal as it was in Prey/Dishonored 2.

Any thoughts here on this?

(PS - I have been gaming for 15 years but I wouldn't consider myself hardcore. Maybe 100 gaming hours or so a year. So perhaps I'm less sensitive to 144hz G-Sync 1ms as some competitive FPS players?)

Reactions: amenx

dsc106

May 31, 2012
Does a higher refresh rate bring any benefit to movie watching? Is there less motion blur as a result of higher refresh? Does that make objects look sharper when the camera pans across a scene, or just seem smoother?

You wouldn't want that. Movies are specifically shot to introduce a certain amount of motion blur, to the point where lighting engineers work very hard to maintain a 180 degree shutter angle (1/48 shutter speed/refresh rate) on movies. Going to extreme extents to light a scene perfectly to capture this. Then comes along people who know nothing about cinema and crank the refresh rate up to destroy that. High refresh rate modes were intended for sports, etc. Most apps when playing movie content will auto lock the refresh rate to the proper 1/48 for 24p content, or 1/60 for 30p content, but I believe you can override this if you really love destroying art ;)

Reactions: yacoub

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Isn't fallout capped at 60 fps? that would explain why you cant see anything.

Verify you are actually running 120 frames per second in game, fast refresh doesnt mean anything if you cant actually push frames fast enough to meet it.

If you're using the 6950 in your sig there is no way you're even coming close to pushing 120fps in the games you listed.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I got myself that new Dell 37.5 inch monitor that is 60Hz. I also have the Asus predator Z35P 120Hz. Started to play Player Unknown on the dell vs the 120Hz and i do notice a difference..BUT it could very well just be the screen size difference i'm noticing. But i'm with OP...it really does not matter unless its a game with lots of fast placed stuff. Playing Black desert online i notice no difference between than two, or other games. Just FPS i notice slightly.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
I find high refresh rates a bit like good peripherals in the computing world, or a bit like good wine or steak in the real world.

Once you've experienced a range refresh rates (/speakers/mice/wines/steaks/etc) you are able to tell the difference by experience and appreciate the superior items even more. These people often hate dealing with products which most of society might consider "normal". E.g. I find it aggravating listening to those over-bassy, muddy, distorted, P.O.S. "normal" computer speakers (or home entertainment systems) I was perfectly fine with years ago; and I'm nowhere near an audiophile.

I suppose it's as much a blessing as a curse. But I suspect people who are used to "worse" products might enjoy their experience more, without being able to name the exact reason why. And vice versa for those who have only ever had the good stuff.

Reactions: yacoub