$6000 entertainment center in an apartment?

emb09

Oct 2, 2003
i would like to buy a 30"-42" flat-panel lcd television ($4,000 - $5,000) to go with a $1,000 home theatre system, but it will most likely go into an apartment. Does this $6k purchase make sense? I feel installing an alarm system in an apartment would be strange and probably attract more attention.

I could also save the money for a down payment on a house.

I love electronics (just like everyone else here) and would rather have cool toys than a boring house.

The mature adult in me (ha ha), tells me to save for a house.

Your thoughts?

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Mmmm......if it was me I wouldn't spend that much money for one in a apartment. Spend half of it and then save the rest for down payment on a house.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
get your priorities straight, whats more important, a house or a tv? then you have your answer

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
I think you should do the boring, responsible adult thing and get the house first then your toys when you can. It seems your priorities would be really out of whack to get that setup in an apartment. Invest in your future!

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
If you must spend the money...

Why blow such a huge amount on the TV?

$1000 for a projector & $2000 an audio would give a much more enjoyable experience (IMO).

Viper GTS

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I think you should buy a $100 TV and a couple of $2,500 subs instead. Your neighbours will love you for it :beer:

spidey

Jul 17, 2002
House first, you'll thank yourself when you know the joy of not having neighbors on the other side of the wall.

But, if you do get it, renter's insurance will be all you need.

emb09

Oct 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Howard
Why do you wish for an LCD TV?

because they are less bulkly. projection tvs are alright, cheaper, but weight like 150 - 200 lbs. i can't move that around without crapping blood. And i'll need to borrow a car everytime i move it. (ex. from apartment to house, etc.)

emb09

Oct 2, 2003
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
I think you should buy a $100 TV and a couple of $2,500 subs instead. Your neighbours will love you for it :beer:

COOL!

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: emb09

because they are less bulkly. projection tvs are alright, cheaper, but weight like 150 - 200 lbs. i can't move that around without crapping blood. And i'll need to borrow a car everytime i move it. (ex. from apartment to house, etc.)

Wait a minute, you live in an apartment, have no car but want to buy $6K TV? :confused:

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Bigscreen TV's belong in large open rooms, not tiny apartments. I have a developed basement with my bigscreen TV in along the south wall. Much more enjoyable when you can sit back on a comfy chair at a distance and enjoy it.

v3rrv3

Golden Member
May 26, 2002

Wait a minute, you live in an apartment, have no car but want to buy $6K TV? :confused:

Wierd. ALso, you're gonna need to borrow a car to transport an LCD TV as well. Not like it be very easy to tote around on your bike. As well, just get someone to help you move a big TV. 150-200 is heavy, but not very between two people. If they help you move, treat them to beer and movies, they will love you ;)

- Kevin

emb09

Oct 2, 2003

i have a car. just not a car big enough for a 150 - 200 lb tv. therefore i prefer a flat-panel lcd television that will most likely fit in my car.

emb09

Oct 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Rudee
Bigscreen TV's belong in large open rooms, not tiny apartments. I have a developed basement with my bigscreen TV in along the south wall. Much more enjoyable when you can sit back on a comfy chair at a distance and enjoy it.

that makes sense.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
a guy i know has a 48" hdtv and about $3000 in audio gear in his apt. so why not.

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
I would get yourself one of those $1000 HDTVs that cnet was reviewed and a sub-$300 HT system. That's all you need in an apartment...that way you can save the rest for down payment or blow the rest on hoes :p

xxAgentCowxx

Jan 26, 2003

that makes sense.

no it doesnt. logically, sitting far from a big screen kind of defeats the purpose of it being big.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

Why not a front projector and a screen? That's a very viable option, as long as you can control the lighting (i.e. as dark as possible).

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: xxAgentCowxx

that makes sense.

no it doesnt. logically, sitting far from a big screen kind of defeats the purpose of it being big.

Not at all. My Toshiba 51" HD is about 13 feet from my leather recliner, and the picture size and quality are still breathtaking. I have 5 point surround sound, and when I play concert DVD's it's like being there. I had Joe Satriani's Live from San Francisco DVD playing on the weekend for a few friends. They were blown away. I recently purchased this bigscreen with my profit sharing bonus from work and originally it was in my livingroom. I have a big living room but the TV was simply too big for it and it went to the basement. A much much better choice. Better acoustics. Big TV's need plenty of breathing space.