60 Minutes Abstinence Story

Nightfall

Golden Member
Nov 16, 1999
Story Here

I just watched this story, and I am astounded and pretty upset on a couple issues.

1. How in the heck can this Silver Ring Thing program get federal funds when they are a faith based organization? Well, they take advantage of a loophole in the system by pushing an abstinence only sex education program. They then can get millions of federal dollars while pushing religion.

2. These abstinence only programs can only tell people how condoms fail. It just astounds me why they do this. Shouldn't these programs at least tell young people that abstinence is the right way to go, but if they are going to have sex, please use a condom? Not according to our federal goverment. It has to be total abstinence and not saying ANYTHING positive about condom use. This also makes me pretty sick to my stomach.

3. When they cornered the minister of the Silver Ring Thing about condom use, he danced around the question. Probably because he didn't want to have the money get pulled from his program. Shouldn't someone in that position do the right thing by telling the truth? Especially since he is a minister?

4. I believe this all comes down to parenting. However, the problem is there are some parents who don't know how to parent properly. Parents should be responsible to teach their kids on this issue. At least that is my belief. Agree or disagree?

What are your thoughts on this?

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
I go w/ wrong forum. But lock this, don't move it to P&N, I don't need my name slandered in there :p

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
1)i think bush has a new faith based initiative... that allows for stuff like this... iirc, the rules say that they can talk about faith. they just cannot say.. you cannot come in, or are banned if you dont join our church.

2) abstinence only means... well, abstinence ONLY. if it were not ONLY, then it would be called abstinence sometimes. ;)

3) this is not an unheard of thing. There are loads of organizations that skirt or abuse the separation rules.

4) there was a poll recently asking how many memeber had :the talk" with their parents. the % was very low. Someone has to teach these kids something. unfortunately... in todays schools... it is more of ... here is how to have sex, here is stuff about birth control, and yada yada... instead of it being dont have sex but if you do.. here is some info. Parents should be telling their kids to use the quarter method... but they are not.

shame really.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
it was sad. and video of entire segment now on fat koreans server ftp://67.159.17.101 login - atotftp. pw - what Syringer fears
if u manage to get on. its been retarded lately

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003
These abstinence only programs can only tell people how condoms fail. It just astounds me why they do this. Shouldn't these programs at least tell young people that abstinence is the right way to go, but if they are going to have sex, please use a condom? Not according to our federal goverment. It has to be total abstinence and not saying ANYTHING positive about condom use. This also makes me pretty sick to my stomach.

Then they'd be like PETA. Contradicting themselves. Don't eat meat! It's wrong! But if you do, buy the cruelty free-stuff.

her34

Dec 4, 2004
the presidential official made an analogy to drunk driving. that you wouldn't give the message "don't drink and drive, but if you do, wear a seatbelt"

was that a fair analogy?

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: her34
the presidential official made an analogy to drunk driving. that you wouldn't give the message "don't drink and drive, but if you do, wear a seatbelt"

was that a fair analogy?

Yes.

BaboonGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
that guy they were talking to was an idiot. CONDOMS WON'T PROTECT YOU AT ALL.. if my 16 yr old daughter said she was going to be sexually active i would tell her not to use a condom. complete bullshi* idiocy

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004

was that a fair analogy?

88% percent of the kids involved in an abstinance program have sex before marriage, don't kid yourself that most teens are more powerful than their hormones at that age. Might as well teach them what to expect and how to handle the encouter as maturely and repsonsibly as possible. As it stands now all their doing is being mroe secretive and putting it in the butt without a jimmy hat; hooray for progress.

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: BaboonGuy
that guy they were talking to was an idiot. CONDOMS WON'T PROTECT YOU AT ALL.. if my 16 yr old daughter said she was going to be sexually active i would tell her not to use a condom. complete bullshi* idiocy

Wow. I guess I should watch it.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe

was that a fair analogy?

Yes.

naw, thats bullsh*t. the real analogy would be don't drive or ride in cars! thats 100% chance of not dying in a car accident!! driving is dangerous. and one just shouldn't do it. but if teenagers decide to, don't wear seatbelts since they are not 100% perfect and mysteriously dangerous for theological reasons or some such bullhocky. no mixed messages! teens can't handle complexity of the world. we gotta break stuff down into black and white even when it doesn't fit:p

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe

was that a fair analogy?

Yes.

naw, thats bullsh*t. the real analogy would be don't drive or ride in cars! thats 100% chance of not dying in a car accident!! driving is dangerous. and one just shouldn't do it. but if teenagers decide to, don't wear seatbelts since they are not 100% perfect and mysteriously dangerous for theological reasons or some such bullhocky. no mixed messages! teens can't handle complexity of the world. we gotta break stuff down into black and white even when it doesn't fit:p

I know those who created the original analogy were atempting to demonstrate a supposed absurdity but I don't see a problem w/ it; ys drinking and driveing is bad, but drinking and driving w/o wearing a seatbelt is significantly worse.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: jjzelinski

was that a fair analogy?

88% percent of the kids involved in an abstinance program have sex before marriage, don't kid yourself that most teens are more powerful than their hormones at that age. Might as well teach them what to expect and how to handle the encouter as maturely and repsonsibly as possible. As it stands now all their doing is being mroe secretive and putting it in the butt without a jimmy hat; hooray for progress.

95% of all statistics are made up. :p